Turkish snap election, June 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:53:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish snap election, June 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Author Topic: Turkish snap election, June 2018  (Read 27218 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »

We are now close to the point where Erdogan only needs 10% of the remaining votes and he's definitely over 50%.

Ince tweets that only 37% of the vote is counted according to the official electoral board and want his people to stay. We are entering a confusing area as the opposition has every motive to make the elections appear dishonest, but Erdogan has every reason to win and the tools to fudge the numbers.

That doesn't make any sense, because 45 million out of 52 million expected votes are already counted.

Well, if what we are seeing on media sites are non-official results this could be true.  But if true and with the number of votes already record on media sites then the level of fraud is truly massive and unlikely.  Meaning if that is what it took to win then just cancel the election and announce Erdogan President for life.
palandio

« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »

[...]
It seems SP's alliance with CHP-IYI did not help since at 1.4% they were not able to qualify in any seats anywhere, even in Istanbul.  So we can view 1.4% of the 33.3% of CHP-IYI-SP as wasted.
[...]
Looking at the preliminary seat distributions in each province they only make sense when applying d'Hondt to the alliances and not to the single parties. Therefore the 1.4% of SP still count for CHP and IYI.

I'm surprised about this myself because before the election I already wondered about this, but wasn't able to retrieve any confirmation and therefore assumed that d'Hondt would not be applied to the alliances as a whole.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

https://www.yenisafak.com/

With 94.4% of the vote counted it is Erdogan at 53.1%

With 90.1% of the vote counted it is
AKP-MHP    54.2%  
CHP-IYI-SP 33.8%
HDP           10.8%
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: June 24, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »

[...]
It seems SP's alliance with CHP-IYI did not help since at 1.4% they were not able to qualify in any seats anywhere, even in Istanbul.  So we can view 1.4% of the 33.3% of CHP-IYI-SP as wasted.
[...]
Looking at the preliminary seat distributions in each province they only make sense when applying d'Hondt to the alliances and not to the single parties. Therefore the 1.4% of SP still count for CHP and IYI.

I'm surprised about this myself because before the election I already wondered about this, but wasn't able to retrieve any confirmation and therefore assumed that d'Hondt would not be applied to the alliances as a whole.

How interesting.  I was going to check that eventually.  But if so then how does CHP IYI and SP (and for that matter AKP and MHP) work out which party list gets which seats?  Unless there is some registered contract on the allocation method which is also handed over to the election commission.  Sounds very complex.

Of course if true then it works to the advantage of both alliances at the cost of HDP.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: June 24, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »

State-run Anadolu Agency calls the election for Erdogan
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: June 24, 2018, 02:00:31 PM »

AKP spokesperson says turnout was 87%.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: June 24, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »

CHP says data still incomplete from large cities so it is wrong to call the election.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: June 24, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

TRY most likely will fall now that Erdogan has won on the first round.  Erdogan promised lower interest rates and that would mean only one thing for inflation and TRY.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #258 on: June 24, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »

My guess is that the alliances are tallied up and the seats allocated to each alliance through D'Hondt. Then inside each alliance the seats corresponding to each alliance are allocated again through D'Hondt according to the proportion of votes each party got inside the alliance.

So for example, in Istanbul's 1st district:

AKP+MHP: 49.6% (17)
CHP+IYI+SP: 38.8 (14)
HDP (4)

Then inside Erdogan's coalition:

AKP: 41.4% (15)
MHP: 8,2% (2)

And inside the CHP coalition:

CHP: 29% (11)
IYI: 8,2% (3)
SP: 1,6% (0)

So votes for SP aren't wasted, but instead give more seats if necessary to that alliance.

It seems to me that it would benefit alliances (so HDP loses as you say) and inside each alliance benefits large parties.

IMO it's a very elegant system. Though this is only a guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #259 on: June 24, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »

[...]
It seems SP's alliance with CHP-IYI did not help since at 1.4% they were not able to qualify in any seats anywhere, even in Istanbul.  So we can view 1.4% of the 33.3% of CHP-IYI-SP as wasted.
[...]

How interesting.  I was going to check that eventually.  But if so then how does CHP IYI and SP (and for that matter AKP and MHP) work out which party list gets which seats?  Unless there is some registered contract on the allocation method which is also handed over to the election commission.  Sounds very complex.

Of course if true then it works to the advantage of both alliances at the cost of HDP.

It's not that complicated. Italy has used systems like that in the past. Basically, there's a first division of seats between alliances, and then each alliance's seats are again apportioned among its constituent parties using the same formula.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #260 on: June 24, 2018, 02:04:36 PM »

Here's an interesting thing...nowhere on yenisafak.com does it give a statistical breakdown of the votes, just the percentages. Easier to hide the numbers that you fudged if done correctly.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »

Here's an interesting thing...nowhere on yenisafak.com does it give a statistical breakdown of the votes, just the percentages. Easier to hide the numbers that you fudged if done correctly.

Well it does give total votes so they expect the user to do the math (using %) to calculate the total vote for each party or candidate.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: June 24, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »

[...]
[...]

How interesting.  I was going to check that eventually.  But if so then how does CHP IYI and SP (and for that matter AKP and MHP) work out which party list gets which seats?  Unless there is some registered contract on the allocation method which is also handed over to the election commission.  Sounds very complex.

It's not that complicated. Italy has used systems like that in the past. Basically, there's a first division of seats between alliances, and then each alliance's seats are again apportioned among its constituent parties using the same formula.

Good point.  If it is the way tack50 describes it then it sounds a lot like the Italian system.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: June 24, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

With 96.8% of the vote counted it is Erdogan at 52.8%

With 93.3% of the vote counted it is
AKP-MHP    53.9% 
CHP-IYI-SP 34.0%
HDP           11.0%
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »

Official government seat projection puts AKP-MHP at 308 seats, 7 above the majority:

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »

CHP's Tezcan insist the Prez election is going to the second round.  Main problem I have with his narrative is the Parliamentary vote share seems to match the Prez results.  So for the fraud he claims to have taken place it would have also taken place for the Parliamentary ballots as well. The scale and effort to pull this off and be consistent is very large.    
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »

Official government seat projection puts AKP-MHP at 308 seats, 7 above the majority:

Other media outlets has AKP-MHP at 342 seats
https://www.yenisafak.com/secim-2018/ittifak-secim-sonuclari

CNN Turk has AKP-MHP at 344.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »

Other media outlets has AKP-MHP at 342 seats
https://www.yenisafak.com/secim-2018/ittifak-secim-sonuclari

CNN Turk has AKP-MHP at 344.

Turns out Europe Elects messed it up. AKP should've been at 295.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2018, 02:47:00 PM by Parrotguy »

AKP-MHP will also certainly have an absolute majority with these numbers. Perfect.
This, but without even a trace of sarcasm.

Didn't know you Stan for the far right Tim.
The MHP is a mere appendage of AKP for the time being. I don't care about the MHP. And the AKP ain't far right.

No one cares about their ideology. What you're saying here is that you oppose Turkish democracy and freedom. That's revolting. There are REAL people there, people whose freedoms will be harmed by this disaster, some of them I know. I'm disgusted someone would cheer for this because he's pro Islam or whatever.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »

Tunceli seems to have large scale tactical voting

Prez
İnce         58.1%
Demirtaş  21.0%
Erdoğan   18.8%
Akşener     1.8%

Parliamentary
HDP             51.1%
CHP+IYI+SP 28.3%
AKP-MHP      19.3%

It seems a large bloc of HDP voters voted tactically for Ince.  Not sure why there is a need as Ince was not expected to win on the first round so there will always be a chance to vote for Ince in the second round if Erdoğan does not win on first round.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »

Erdogan declares victory in both presidential and parliamentary votes.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: June 24, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

Erdogan sounds really reconciliatory in his victory speech.  It might be because he is in an official presidential palace in Istanbul and not at a AKP party building.  Erdogan underlines his dedication to completing mega projects, such as Canal Istanbul and domestic car.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: June 24, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

With 98.4% of the vote counted it is Erdogan at 52.7%

With 95.5% of the vote counted it is
AKP-MHP    53.7% 
CHP-IYI-SP 34.1%
HDP           11.2%
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #273 on: June 24, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »

Tunceli seems to have large scale tactical voting

Yes. Alevis - HDP/CHP swing voters who strongly distrust the AKP.

It seems a large bloc of HDP voters voted tactically for Ince.

Not really outside of Tunceli (Alevis) and Istanbul (secular voters). In the southeastern Kurdish heartland, Ince got exactly as far as the CHP, i.e. nowhere.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #274 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »

With 98.4% of the vote counted it is Erdogan at 52.7%

With 95.5% of the vote counted it is
AKP-MHP    53.7% 
CHP-IYI-SP 34.1%
HDP           11.2%

Should note that this is not the vote but ballot box's. As with precincts, not all ballot boxes are created equal.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies