race-based affirmative action roll call
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:30:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  race-based affirmative action roll call
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: race-based affirmative action roll call  (Read 4637 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 10:50:36 AM »

my friend Jarvis (black):
PSAT 197, SAT around 1400, class rank in the top third maybe, somewhere around there, a few extracirricular, applies to all sorts of schools, accepted by all of them, including acceptance and a small scholarship to Rice, where he didn't even go to the optional interview

my friend Daniel (white):
PSAT 235, ACT 35, SAT 1600, salutatorian, a lot of extracirricular, the smartest guy I've ever met, really wants to go to Rice, applies, does the whole interview shebang, does not get accepted

How can anyone support this sh**t?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 04:30:35 PM »

PSAT 197, SAT around 1400, class rank in the top third maybe, somewhere around there, a few extracirricular, applies to all sorts of schools, accepted by all of them, including acceptance and a small scholarship to Rice, where he didn't even go to the optional interview

PSAT 235, ACT 35, SAT 1600, salutatorian, a lot of extracirricular, the smartest guy I've ever met, really wants to go to Rice, applies, does the whole interview shebang, does not get accepted

It is making up for the many generations in which blacks were utterly barred from university education.  Additionally, please remember that very few blacks can afford to go to college even in the present day, Harry.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 04:33:09 PM »

It is making up for the many generations in which blacks were utterly barred from university education.
How is that in any way related to those who are going to college today? Just because one's ancestor was prohibited from attending a university, one's own chances are not in any way affected.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 04:42:41 PM »

It is making up for the many generations in which blacks were utterly barred from university education.
How is that in any way related to those who are going to college today? Just because one's ancestor was prohibited from attending a university, one's own chances are not in any way affected.

You obviously have no understanding of the operations of class in our social heiarchy, Emsworth, or perhaps are pretending such ignorance.  Of course whether ones antecedents went to university is the biggest determinant of whether one is able to go,  though it is more simply boiled down to money.  Naturally the discrimination and oppression which has been applied to blacks for generations has made them extremely poor, and the poor cannot purchase education.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 05:26:30 PM »

It is making up for the many generations in which blacks were utterly barred from university education.  Additionally, please remember that very few blacks can afford to go to college even in the present day, Harry.

opebo is correct.....for once.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2005, 05:42:47 PM »

Rice is a private institution. They can admit whomever they choose, for any reason. Now, if Black Kid is really as mediocre as you say he is, then, after two or three semesters, he will sorely regret being accepted to that school and will likely transfer out on his own.

Now, if those two examples chose, say UT-Austin, then, yes, I would agree that there is no real reason why White Kid should have his application rejected in place of Black Kid, if the criteria for admission includes scores on (coachable) standardized tests.

On the other hand, I don't see why White Kid should be accepted when there are thousands of Asian Kids with even better scores and achievements to their credit.

I myself personally oppose affirmative action, but I'm not naive enough to think that doing so will simply  eliminate undeserving black stupids out of colleges. No, if not for affirmative action, US universities will become predominantly south and east Asian.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2005, 05:48:39 PM »

opebo is correct.....for once.
Do you support reparations too, Mitty?

I don't see why I or anyone else should pay for my "oppresive ancestors."  In fact, my ancestors weren't even in the Southern United States at the time of slavery, Civil War etc.  Why should I pay for something my ancestors didn't do?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2005, 05:56:07 PM »

I strongly oppose it. 

So Opebo would rather let an idiot get into a good college just on color and not on ability because slavery was terrible in the past. -_-
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2005, 09:24:47 PM »

Oppose.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2005, 11:42:13 PM »

So Opebo would rather let an idiot get into a good college just on color and not on ability because slavery was terrible in the past. -_-

Yes, instead of the normal reason people go to good colleges ('idiot' or not) - their parents are rich.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2005, 11:46:57 PM »

I don't see why I or anyone else should pay for my "oppresive ancestors."  In fact, my ancestors weren't even in the Southern United States at the time of slavery, Civil War etc.  Why should I pay for something my ancestors didn't do?

Good point here. Many of the whites in this country, inluding most of my family, had not arrived before around 1900 and never resided south of Maryland, nor did they own slaves. I see little reason why reparations should come from families like mine if they were to be implemented at all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2005, 11:49:51 PM »

Good point here. Many of the whites in this country, inluding most of my family, had not arrived before around 1900 and never resided south of Maryland, nor did they own slaves. I see little reason why reparations should come from families like mine if they were to be implemented at all.

You've been favoured since then.  Particularly if you are part of the owning class.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2005, 11:51:44 PM »

You've been favoured since then.
How so?  I'm fascinated that you know so much about my personal life.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2005, 11:52:24 PM »

You've been favoured since then.
How so?  I'm fascinated that you know so much about my personal life.

Obviously you have if you are white.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »

Tell me more.  I want to know how I've been favored.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2005, 11:55:25 PM »

Tell me more.  I want to know how I've been favored.

So, your claim is that a black male suffers no disadvantage compared to  you?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2005, 11:56:13 PM »

Don't put words in my mouth.  You say I've been favored.  I want to know how.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2005, 12:01:04 AM »

Yes, instead of the normal reason people go to good colleges ('idiot' or not) - their parents are rich.

My school is one of the most respected in the nation, yet very few people here have rich parents(I haven't actually met any that have, I simply assume at least a few exist). The vast majority of people aren't rich, so the vast majority of good colleges would not be majority rich kids.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2005, 12:11:13 AM »

In the same way I have been favored, as in relative favor compared to the black.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2005, 12:11:46 AM »

My school is one of the most respected in the nation, yet very few people here have rich parents(I haven't actually met any that have, I simply assume at least a few exist). The vast majority of people aren't rich, so the vast majority of good colleges would not be majority rich kids.

What school is that?  A public school?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2005, 12:13:28 AM »

In the same way I have been favored, as in relative favor compared to the black.
This doesn't answer my question.  I want to know how I have been favored over blacks, and who is favoring me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2005, 12:16:29 AM »

This doesn't answer my question.  I want to know how I have been favored over blacks, and who is favoring me.

I'm not going to indulge in your little game, Ebowed.  As you well know you are favored by nearly everyone, and institutionally by society as a whole.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »

I'm not going to indulge in your little game, Ebowed.
In other words, not answer my question.

As you well know you are favored by nearly everyone, and institutionally by society as a whole.
How do you figure?  I don't see how I specifically am being favored over any specific black person, and why I should pay reparations.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2005, 12:26:48 AM »

I'm not going to indulge in your little game, Ebowed.
In other words, not answer my question.

To answer it would be tiresome and pointless since your advantage are so obvious, from lack of fear when you walk around in 'nice' neighborhoods to preferrential treatment in hiring or business relations, to lack of harrassment by the police.. the list could go on and on. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
How do you figure?  I don't see how I specifically am being favored over any specific black person, and why I should pay reparations.
[/quote]

Such specificity is not necessary for the argument that whites in general are favored.  In any case we were refering to affirmative actions.   Reparations would have to be payed by those who have the money - the owning class.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2005, 12:34:56 AM »

Exactly, your arguement is horse sh!t. Play again some time
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: