Christian holidays (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:20:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christian holidays (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What Christian festivals are public holidays where you live?
Epiphany
Good Friday
Easter Sunday
Easter Monday
Ascension Day
Pentecost
Whit Monday
Corpus Christi
Peace Festival
Assumption Day
Reformation Day
All Saints
Repentance and Prayer Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Christian holidays  (Read 3041 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 04, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »

As far as I know, Christmas is the only one that's officially a holiday.  The schools around here close for Good Friday and sometimes the day after Easter, but otherwise that's it.

anyway, Christmas is the only religious holiday in the US and it shouldn't be a holiday in my opinion since we're NOT a Christian nation.  That's only for those conservative European and S.American countries, not good, liberal places like the US.
Studies have shown that over 90 percent of Americans observe Christmas in some form, which is larger than the percentage of self-professed Christians.  But since a large majority of Americans are also Christians, it's safe to say that we are a Christian nation, despite the separation of church and state.  The courts have ruled that making Christmas a public holiday is not unconstitutional because it is as much a cultural holiday as a religious one, and I agree.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 04:38:49 PM »

As far as I know, Christmas is the only one recognized as a federal holiday in the United States, but I'm not sure whether Michigan or my hometown/home county has any of the others.  I personally think that Good Friday and Christmas Eve should be optional holidays for government employees if they aren't already.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »

As far as I know, Christmas is the only one recognized as a federal holiday in the United States, but I'm not sure whether Michigan or my hometown/home county has any of the others.  I personally think that Good Friday and Christmas Eve should be optional holidays for government employees if they aren't already.

I would strongly suggest that Thanksgiving should be on this list.  The roots are more explicitly Christian than a couple of these and it's almost as old as the Reformation. 
I agree.  Thanksgiving is arguably even more of a Christian holiday in modern times than Christmas, and almost as much as Easter.  And it already is a paid holiday in American anyhow.  (Perhaps some of the Canadians here can vouch for whether their Thanksgiving Day, on the same date as Columbus Day, is a paid holiday there.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies