Christian holidays (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:40:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christian holidays (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What Christian festivals are public holidays where you live?
Epiphany
Good Friday
Easter Sunday
Easter Monday
Ascension Day
Pentecost
Whit Monday
Corpus Christi
Peace Festival
Assumption Day
Reformation Day
All Saints
Repentance and Prayer Day
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Christian holidays  (Read 3058 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 04, 2018, 05:48:03 AM »

Easter Sunday and Pentecost because they are both Sundays and then Christmas Day.

But afaik, most Americans have to work on Sundays, anyway.
Not true.

Maybe it's just a cliché, but from what I heard the U.S. labor market policy isn't supposed to be very employee-friendly.
Employers are exactly as "friendly" as they have to be.  If you do a thing better than most people that do that thing, your employer will treat you well.  If you suck at your job, your employer will treat you like sh**t before firing you.

Most places are closed on the weekend.  If you work in the service industry or a job that ya know, actually does an important thing (like doctor, firefighter, keeping the country safe) then you could potentially work at any day or time.  I'm sure you have important jobs in Germany too even if you don't let people buy things on the weekend.

anyway, Christmas is the only religious holiday in the US and it shouldn't be a holiday in my opinion since we're NOT a Christian nation.  That's only for those conservative European and S.American countries, not good, liberal places like the US.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »

Yes, but they are not religious.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 05:37:47 AM »

Only Christmas Day. Instead of religious holidays, we have various holidays in the grand American tradition of pandering to electorally important ethnic groups, such as Casimir Pulaski Day, César Chávez Day, St. Patrick's Day, and Robert E. Lee Day (honoring, respectively, Poles, Mexicans, Irish & racists)
these are all state holidays though and no one gets more than one of them off (unless they move at the right time(s) I suppose).  Only Italians get a federal holiday for reasons I still don't understand.  Probably because the Italians are an emotionally fragile people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies