China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 11:21:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: China/Trump ongoing proposal of TARIFFS. Dangerous trade war imminent  (Read 10497 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 09:58:09 PM »

Now wait for the Chinese to retaliate in 3....2.....1. This whole thing is so pointless and stupid. Kind of like Trump's whole presidency.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2018, 04:08:55 AM »
« Edited: April 04, 2018, 06:13:46 AM by Great Again: Big Don's Most Terrific Trade War »

Now wait for the Chinese to retaliate in 3....2.....1. This whole thing is so pointless and stupid. Kind of like Trump's whole presidency.

^^

Well, you can cross that off your checklist:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-fires-back-at-trump-with-tariffs-on-106-us-products-including-soybeans-cars/2018/04/04/338134f4-37d8-11e8-b57c-9445cc4dfa5e_story.html

Donald Trump's worldview primarily consists of being in an eternal state of struggle and competition, of being the tough guy in that world, and of bullying your competition into submission.

Problem is that he's currently trying to bully the friggin' People's Republic of China into submission which in all likelihood is bound to backfire, even though it probably makes Donald Trump feel awesome because he can clap himself unto his own shoulder for being such a macho and all. The two largest economic powers in the world in a direct fight "mano a mano", that certainly must give Little Trumpie one of a hell of a tingling sensation. Running the Trump Organization was minuscule compared to that. Now he's finally playing in the big league, like he always dreamed of.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2018, 05:11:49 AM »

Trump is Steve Rogers in Captain America: Trade War
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »

So at what point is the GOP in Congress going to grow a pair and respond? Surely there are plenty of Republican MOCs whose constituents will be hurt by this right away.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »

So at what point is the GOP in Congress going to grow a pair and respond? Surely there are plenty of Republican MOCs whose constituents will be hurt by this right away.

We'll see today if Republicans have any backbone left. McConnell spoke yesterday about how nervous he was about this getting out of control. Well it's out of control and he should have the power to fix it.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »

Only Nixon could go to China, only Trump could close us off to it again.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »

This is getting exciting.  This is the new battleground for the economic future of the country? Will Congress (especially Dems) fight for America or continue to give China a free pass? Time will tell.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »

This is getting exciting.  This is the new battleground for the economic future of the country? Will Congress (especially Dems) fight for America or continue to give China a free pass? Time will tell.

LOL.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2018, 09:03:31 AM »

This is one dumb bastard.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:00 AM »

This is one dumb bastard.

He doesn't understand that numbers can go up.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »

...said every gambler on a losing streak in Las Vegas.

BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »

Kudlow just said he doesn't expect actual tariffs to start for several months. Does anyone think the white house is getting cold feet?

BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/KellyO/status/981540313977278464

Hopefully this is just a bad attempt at trying to negotiate.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »

I seriously hope they're going to disproportionately hurt Trump states. Those f-ckers wanted it, so I want to make sure they're the ones that take it on the chin. California voted for Hillary, thank you very much. We have no interest in a trade war.
People continue to post this sick sh!t and some people are defending it. One of the worst things about the atlas left.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2018, 09:46:12 AM »

Can't have a trade deficit if there's no trade

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »

I seriously hope they're going to disproportionately hurt Trump states. Those f-ckers wanted it, so I want to make sure they're the ones that take it on the chin. California voted for Hillary, thank you very much. We have no interest in a trade war.
People continue to post this sick sh!t and some people are defending it. One of the worst things about the atlas left.

I don't know why we should discuss a trade war as if it were an act of God or a misfortune befalling voters when this has always been a clear and predictable outcome of electing a protectionist President.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »

I don't know why we should discuss a trade war as if it were an act of God or a misfortune befalling voters when this has always been a clear and predictable outcome of electing a protectionist President.
What I take issue with is the fact that the atlas left has a tendency to wish suffering on conservatives and in instances where it would be politically advantageous. We should at least have a sense of human decency towards those we disagree with.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »

I don't know why we should discuss a trade war as if it were an act of God or a misfortune befalling voters when this has always been a clear and predictable outcome of electing a protectionist deranged President.

^ Fixed your post.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »

Quietly hoping that this creates a (short-lived) recession so that both the Trumpists AND the loony left learns that protectionism isn't the way forward. It is more or less the only issue where I disagree with the left. The way forward is international regulation, not protectionism and trade wars.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »

America 'losing' a trade war, or being forced to back down will probably be incredibly psychologically damaging.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »

What I take issue with is the fact that the atlas left has a tendency to wish suffering on conservatives and in instances where it would be politically advantageous. We should at least have a sense of human decency towards those we disagree with.

While that may be the case... in this case the voters are truly hoist on their own petard.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

Drumpf is Steve Rogers in Captain America: Trade War

I guess the wall is his Bucky.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 05:49:51 AM »

They know what they are doing.

Oh the irony if this could save several Democrats that would have other wise been defeated by too many flood gates against them in a federal Senate race.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2018, 06:15:27 AM »

Kudlow just said he doesn't expect actual tariffs to start for several months. Does anyone think the white house is getting cold feet?

White House yes, Trump no.

It's no surprise that Kudlow would be anti-tariff, but it would be a surprise if Trump listens to him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies