Arizona Proposition 208
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:54:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona Proposition 208
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arizona Proposition 208  (Read 307 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »

Prop 208 would raise the state income tax on income over 250k for single payers and 500k on married filing jointly from current 4.5% to 8%, raising around 940 million a year with money to go to education spending. 
  I would support the measure if money raised wasn't explicitly earmarked but could instead go toward lowering other taxes (so a form of tax reform) or the general fund. 
  It is perhaps the most significant tax vote on the ballot anywhere in the US this year along with California's  Prop 15, and it represents a really big change in Arizona income tax rates and policies. I'll be interested to see whether it runs stronger or weaker than Biden, and how many Dems vote against it and how many Republicans for it.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

I've been putting up poll results for that for a while in the initiatives mega thread. It tends to poll better than Biden at about 55%, but that's not comfortable territory for initiatives as support tends to diminish in the final few weeks.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »

Earmarking helps it pass as it gives people a reason to vote for it, also all money raised is fungible, unless all of it is earmarked. Just expect some shifts so there probably won't be this much of an increase for education funding.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »

I am voting for it. I suspect it passes but who knows with ballot props.

The GOP establishment keeps saying there are other ways to fund education, yet they have had decades to boost education funding here in AZ and have failed to do so. So we have come to this, is sort of my outlook.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »

I am voting for it. I suspect it passes but who knows with ballot props.

The GOP establishment keeps saying there are other ways to fund education, yet they have had decades to boost education funding here in AZ and have failed to do so. So we have come to this, is sort of my outlook.

I"m voting for it too.

We've had enough of the Brewer/Ducey tax philosophy (which Ducey wanted to model on Brownback's KS). The GOP has been in complete control of this state for over 10 years now and education funding is still in the toilet. All they've done is to make it easier for wealthy people to get state funded vouchers to send their children to private and sub-par charter schools. Ducey did throw a few crumbs to teachers in 2018 to win reelection, but he's done squat since.

A group tried to sue to keep 208 off the ballot but even Ducey's supreme court, which was packed by him and the state GOP by adding 2 additional seats in 2016, ruled against keeping it off the ballot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies