Theists only: Do you ever fast/follow religious dietary restrictions? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:41:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Theists only: Do you ever fast/follow religious dietary restrictions? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Not a theist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Theists only: Do you ever fast/follow religious dietary restrictions?  (Read 1377 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: March 30, 2018, 04:38:28 PM »

No.  Even though all my religious upbringing came from my Catholic mother, she's lapse and never followed any dietary traditions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »

I fast on Wednesdays and Fridays most weeks of the year, observe four major fasting seasons (Great Lent, Apostles Fast, Dormition Fast, and Nativity Fast), and also observe several additional fasting days (the Beheading of St. John the Baptist and the Exaltation of the Holy Cross come to mind as examples). Fasting consists in limiting intake of certain kinds of food. The most common form is no meat, eggs, dairy, or vertebrate fish, but there are also other forms.

Are vegan versions of these food types allowed?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 04:50:41 PM »

I don't usually think of my vegetarianism in religious terms ( I've gotten used to it, have multiple reasons for it, & do not keep to it as "religiously" as I once did. ) but thinking about this question reminds me that when I first decided on it in my junior year of high school, the religious aspect of it was an important part of how I thought about it.
Some of my friends and I were getting into charismatic spirituality at that time.  I remember thinking that if I was to be a vessel of God's healing in the world, I should not eat the violence of flesh; meat-eating itself being a result of the Fall, which Christ and the Holy Spirit are able to overcome. That, plus the fact that my sister and some of my other friends were vegetarian already, gave me the resolve to give up meat.

As for fasting, I have done it, for part of the day, a few times, years ago, while praying for someone. I've generally been hesitant at the idea of more formal fasting; it's enough work for me normally just figuring out what and when I can eat and feel relatively healthy.

Out of curiosity, does your vegetarianism extend to fish? As a carnivore, I never understood the vegetarian exemption for fish - which is clearly the meat of an animal no matter how you slice it. Many vegetarians are pescatarians, but that's almost always for health/dieting reasons and not moral ones.

Also, do you believe that no-slaughter factory farming (i.e. to produce milk and dairy) is morally right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies