Is it moral for adults to teach children about mythological beings they don't believe in thmselves?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is it moral for adults to teach children about mythological beings they don't believe in thmselves?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Is it moral for adults to teach children about mythological beings they don't believe in thmselves?  (Read 443 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:32:33 PM »

such as santa, the tooth fairy or the easter bunny?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 06:02:24 PM »

For fun, sure. It's part of being a kid.

I understand why some Christian parents choose not to do these things, but I disagree with them.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »

I want any future daughter of mine to know who Antigone is and why she's an important figure at least by the age of twelve, so yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 05:45:40 AM »

while I'm not sure about the morality of it and I didn't do it to my kids, but I'm glad other parents are teaching their kids that adults (and especially your parents) will lie to them.  It's a good lesson to learn early.  Adults are liars.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »

I want any future daughter of mine to know who Antigone is and why she's an important figure at least by the age of twelve, so yes.

Creon did nothing wrong. Antigone was trying to honour a traitor who had just attacked the city with a foreign army. Private interest here would have been to invite anarchy.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »

Creon did nothing wrong. Antigone was trying to honour a traitor who had just attacked the city with a foreign army. Private interest here would have been to invite anarchy.

What makes Antigone different from other tragedies is that the conflict in it is between two characters who are each trying to impose on the other their sincerely-held conceptions of an ordered, just, and rational universe...and those two conceptions are, through no fault of anybody's, completely incommensurable. So in the end my reading of the play comes down to which of them I find more personally sympathetic, and (in most stagings; the one with Christopher Eccleston as Creon is a notable exception) that's Antigone by a country mile.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »

What makes Antigone different from other tragedies is that the conflict in it is between two characters who are each trying to impose on the other their sincerely-held conceptions of an ordered, just, and rational universe...and those two conceptions are, through no fault of anybody's, completely incommensurable. So in the end my reading of the play comes down to which of them I find more personally sympathetic, and (in most stagings; the one with Christopher Eccleston as Creon is a notable exception) that's Antigone by a country mile.

I was trolling somewhat. Tongue Creon is shown to be an incompetent dickbag, but as you alluded to the greatness of Greek tragedy is that the conflict often comes from two characters who can both make reasonable argument on their side. Sophocles does the same in Ajax (Homeric honour vs public good) and Philoctetes (right vs advantage). Just hoped to start an argument!
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 06:37:41 AM »

I voted yes by accident. I meant no.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 08:36:45 AM »

Why not just tell your children that mythological beings are just that, i.e. "myths" which some people believe in and some people don't? Just give them the facts.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Pharcellus_Church
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies