4 Mistakes Theists Make When Trying to Convert Atheists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:27:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  4 Mistakes Theists Make When Trying to Convert Atheists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4 Mistakes Theists Make When Trying to Convert Atheists  (Read 468 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hprmo3CifJ0
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 04:09:23 PM »

What fascinates me about this subject is how some theists take the opinions of atheists as such a personal affront, as though a refusal to agree with their beliefs is somehow an attack on them personally. The reflexive need to evangelize these beliefs-- to discuss them constantly, to "spread the word" to others-- comes, I believe, from a place of deep and suppressed self-doubt. Faith is such an integral part of the theist's personality that they view it as a part of themselves; consequentially, anyone who denies the faith must therefore also deny a fundamental part of the theist's existence. Atheists (and other types of theists, for that matter) are a constant reminder for the theist that the beliefs they hold so dear aren't so objective and readily apparent to others, and that fills them with deep anxiety. In order to snuff out the lingering doubt within themselves, they must first eradicate all external factors that remind them of this doubt. The louder a theist is, the more I tend to suspect that they are plagued by a deep discomfort with their own beliefs.

The theists who I can respect are the ones who view their own faith in absolute terms, as opposed to relative to the beliefs of others. If all of us (not just theists) could be a little less concerned with what's happening in the heads of other people, I think we'd all be much better off.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »

What fascinates me about this subject is how some theists take the opinions of atheists as such a personal affront, as though a refusal to agree with their beliefs is somehow an attack on them personally. The reflexive need to evangelize these beliefs-- to discuss them constantly, to "spread the word" to others-- comes, I believe, from a place of deep and suppressed self-doubt. Faith is such an integral part of the theist's personality that they view it as a part of themselves; consequentially, anyone who denies the faith must therefore also deny a fundamental part of the theist's existence. Atheists (and other types of theists, for that matter) are a constant reminder for the theist that the beliefs they hold so dear aren't so objective and readily apparent to others, and that fills them with deep anxiety. In order to snuff out the lingering doubt within themselves, they must first eradicate all external factors that remind them of this doubt. The louder a theist is, the more I tend to suspect that they are plagued by a deep discomfort with their own beliefs.

The theists who I can respect are the ones who view their own faith in absolute terms, as opposed to relative to the beliefs of others. If all of us (not just theists) could be a little less concerned with what's happening in the heads of other people, I think we'd all be much better off.
A fundamentalist almost certainly results from the lack of doubt one allows oneself, but I find it odd that someone as ideological as you are does not seem to grasp the political implications within it. I suppose it might stem from libertarianism’s relative lack of values when compared to other ideologies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies