gay marriage roll call
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:33:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  gay marriage roll call
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: gay marriage roll call  (Read 6437 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 03:19:09 PM »

I oppose gay marriage but would let them have civil unions.

Why does the terminology matter?  It's all the same thing, according to the state governments that recognize marraige/unions.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 03:19:35 PM »

Yea.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »

Civil unions for all Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2005, 03:47:32 PM »

Yes.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2005, 03:50:38 PM »

Yes, as Joe said, the only "argument" against it is that current marriage is a "tradition".
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 04:14:49 PM »

Ban this troll!

No, btw!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 04:17:33 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2005, 04:35:47 PM by Joe Republic »

I'm yet to see a credible argument against it.

Then you aren't paying attention.

Actually I have been.  So far every argument against it can easily be refuted.

While I'm here I may as well point out that I agree 100% with Emsworth, Philip and M&C's posts.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »

Other.

I believe it's up to the states to decide. I don't really support or oppose it.

No, but I believe that this should be up to states.  I do not feel that the US should tell a state it cannot permit it, but neither should the federal government require one state to recognize a same sex marriage contracted in another state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2005, 04:26:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While I'm here I may as well point out that I agree 100% with Emsworth, Philip and M&C's posts.

Actually, here is one.  My father, a widower, gets a pension; his widow would continue to collect it when he dies.  If same sex marriage is permitted what would prevent me from "marrying" him and, when he dies, collect his pension for the remainder of my life?
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »

Yes.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2005, 04:36:24 PM »

Actually, here is one.  My father, a widower, gets a pension; his widow would continue to collect it when he dies.  If same sex marriage is permitted what would prevent me from "marrying" him and, when he dies, collect his pension for the remainder of my life?

If it was your mother instead of your father, wouldn't the same problem arise from heterosexual marriage?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2005, 04:41:21 PM »

Who's more troll?  The troll, or the troll who follows him?
Care to give an explanation of why it would hurt anything Pollo?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2005, 05:03:17 PM »

Yes, I support gay marriage, as long as there is no polygamy or incegamy involved.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »

What would prevent that under heterosexual couples, with the mother's pension?

Well, for one thing, the daughter couldn't do it.  Two, because the couples cannot biologically product children, the incest argument could not be made.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2005, 05:51:32 PM »

Well, for one thing, the daughter couldn't do it.  Two, because the couples cannot biologically product children, the incest argument could not be made.

If I'm understanding you, your argument is that the relationship could be abused by those of the same gender - they would marry and get the benefits.

But this can already be done with heterosexual couples.  Yes, it would make abuse even easier, but if people intend to abuse that, they will think of a system under current marriage structure to do it.

Is it really worth depriving marriage rights to an entire group just to make marriage abuse (which, as far as I know, isn't all that common) a bit harder?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2005, 06:00:10 PM »

It still strikes me that the problem lies in the consequences the government set of getting married, not in the marriage itself.  Your example could be easily rectified by simply placing restrictions on marriage based on whether or not the people are blood relatives; it seems to me that completely banning same-sex marriage because of potential abuses of it is going a bit overboard, especially given that similar abuses are also possible in opposite-sex marriage.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 06:11:47 PM »

Not close enough attention.  The countries of Europe, (Sweden, Denmark, and Norway), that have legalized gay marriage/civil unions have the highest divorce rates and illegitimacy rates in the world (outside Iceland).  Before they legalized these changes, this was not true, and all three have seem a marked shift towards more divorces and more illegitimacy at a time when divorces and illegitimacy in other western countries have remained steady.

There is statistical evidence that gay marriage at the very least correlates with a collaps of traditional marriage.  Its not some religious hysteria.  Perhaps you simply don't value traditional marriage, but for those who do, the arguments against gay marriage have in fact not been universally refuted.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »

Not close enough attention.  The countries of Europe, (Sweden, Denmark, and Norway), that have legalized gay marriage/civil unions have the highest divorce rates and illegitimacy rates in the world (outside Iceland).  Before they legalized these changes, this was not true, and all three have seem a marked shift towards more divorces and more illegitimacy at a time when divorces and illegitimacy in other western countries have remained steady.

There is statistical evidence that gay marriage at the very least correlates with a collaps of traditional marriage.  Its not some religious hysteria.  Perhaps you simply don't value traditional marriage, but for those who do, the arguments against gay marriage have in fact not been universally refuted.
Sorry, but correlation does not imply causation. Your own marriage is not in any way being affected by some same-sex couple getting "married." After all, they would have been living together anyway, whether or not the government calls them "married." Why should the labeling of their partnership affect others in any way whatsoever? How would one same-sex getting married somehow affect another's decision to get a divorce? Unless I can see a coherent explanation of how labeling one partnership as "marriage" somehow affects another totally unrelated couple, I would not accept this argument.

Secondly, the concept of "illegitimacy" is not something that I think is particularly meaningful to talk about. Just because a child is "illegitimate," it does not follow that his parents will be bad at raising children. Similarly, just because a child is "legitimate," it does not follow that his parents will be particularly good at doing so either. There are, for example, several instances in which a legitimate father or mother abuses his or her own child, and several instances in which an illegitimate father or mother takes care of him very well. Thus, the statistic of the number of illegitimate children is not (IMO) an appropriate argument. Rather, it is the unquantifiable variable of how the children are actually brought up by their parents (whether they are legitimate or not) is much more significant. I don't think that there should be an automatic stigma associated with illegitimacy.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 06:27:27 PM »

Completely in favour. But start off with civil unions first and then work upwards. Oh but let the states decide.

^^^^
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 06:28:43 PM »

I don't mean to pile on you John, but in addition to what Emsworth stated, I must point out that the list of countries that allow gay marriage or civil unions is much, much longer than Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.  In fact, it is as follows:  Canada, Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Netherlands, France, South Afirca, Germany, Portugal, Finland, Croatia, Israel, Luxembourg, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Andorra, Slovenia, and soon in Switzerland.  This plus some regions of Argentina, Australia, Italy, Brazil, and the United States.

The most recent data I can find is 1996, three years after Norway legalised civil unions and seven years after Denmark did, with Norway's divorce rate moderately below the United States's (43% versus 49%) and Denmark's far, far below (35%).  That doesn't exactly seem like a "collapse of marriage" to me.

Sources:

1996 divorce statistics
Civil union legalisation
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 06:31:54 PM »

I used to be for it.  Then I was against it.  Now Im not sure.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 06:38:35 PM »

No. Too much social trauma inflicted already to satisfy a political fad.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »

I do not support gay marriage. However, I'm also not the stereotypical rabid "God-hates-fags" type who would have a heart attack if they were legalized
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 08:40:56 PM »

I fully support gay marriage.

It seems like the vast majority of arguments against it involve either religion or tradition.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »

Yes, of course. I love freedom

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies