SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)  (Read 1330 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »

This amendment answers some of the points brought up by my colleagues, who I agree with in the issues that have been amended. I believe this investigation could work for us as a GREAT way to reduce our significant deficit. As also pointed out by NeverAgain, this could help the budget committee significantly.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 12:57:54 PM »

As the Senate's Budget Committee member, I don't support this bill largely because of NeverAgain's  arguments against a private investigation. Also the wording in section 2 of the amendment is too vague as any information can be considered to disturb an Atlasian citizen's privacy. Therefore I lean towards voting against this bill.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »

I'd still vote against the bill even with this amendment, I see no reason why you can't just go into the budget and find what you'd like to cut, rather than throwing a million dollars at a private company.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »

I'm glad Senator Haslam is taking into concern the issue of Atlasians' privacy, yet this amendment neither helps the issue, nor deficit reduction in general.

#1 Defense is the largest part (half) of our discretionary funding. To take that away from any research on deficit reduction, no matter how frivolous it may be, negates the whole purpose of deficit reduction.

#2 Defense is not only where top secret information is held. Again, a private investigative firm would still be able to look at records from the FBI, ATF, DEA, meaning a significant advantage for them in their private sector work. Even if they are supposedly "barred" from looking at confidential information, there would need to be strict guidelines on what is considered confidential and what is not (of which are not included in the amendment). The cost to do this, would be in both the lost productivity for our civil servants in having to deal with these changes, and the actual monetary cost of investing resources into accommodating this private organization while they do their supposed work. I think it could definitely be argued that the act of looking through all government agencies would cost much more than one million dollars for both the private and public sectors.

#3 This still does not address the underlying issues with the ineffective Budget Committee, nor the fact that this is essentially "passing the buck" of the Congress' constitutional responsibility to a budget and deficit reduction onto a private company with serious ramifications. I recommend that this body review the budget and agencies themselves, instead of reneging on their constitutional obligations.

As I suggested earlier, I have extensive experience with the Budget and Budgetary matters. I would be more than happy to help this body, or the Budget Committee, if they want to take serious steps towards deficit reduction. Throwing money at a problem caused by too much money-throwing is not a solution.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 08:40:03 PM »

I support this, but I see no reason why we don't include the military in this and we're gonna have to plan out a way to actually cut our deficit, not just do it gradually. Something like a balanced budget amendment.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »

I'm convinced myself, I will be voting Nay as well. It seems clear to me that tackling this particular issue will require a different bill and a different approach, and so I'd like to motion to table.

Do I have a seconder?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »

I second the motion to table
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »

We will now vote on a motion to table, Senators, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »

Aye.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »

Aye.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »

Aye
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2018, 05:07:48 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »

Having passed the necessary threshold, this bill is tabled and removed from the floor.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies