State Legislature Special Election Megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 71
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Megathread v2  (Read 168875 times)
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: February 26, 2019, 09:40:28 PM »

The Connecticut results are kinda surprising, and concerning I guess (sort of).    Voter apathy I guess?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1451 on: February 26, 2019, 09:53:18 PM »

The Connecticut results are kinda surprising, and concerning I guess (sort of).    Voter apathy I guess?
Yeah, the turnout was utterly pitiful. Like honestly it makes me concerned.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1452 on: February 26, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »

I don't care much about the HD-99 seat, but losing a 59.69% Clinton district (SD-6) is really weird, and worrying.  
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #1453 on: February 26, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »

Lamont backlash maybe? Honestly I have no idea what happened.

New Britain is surrounded by highways I-84, Route 9 and Route 72. Lamont went back on his pledge to only toll trucks. So all 3 highways could have tolls and it looks the Democratic field operation was non existent since turnout was super low.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1454 on: February 27, 2019, 02:12:46 AM »

It's way too early to judge now, after few specials. But, TBH, i see much less enthusiasm and much more complacency on part of Democrats now, then in 2017-2018 cycle, when they turned out to vote even in seemingly very red districts (like Oklahoma's), sometimes - with absolutely startling results. Who knows, may be after 2 years people became more accustomed to Trump, and he serves as a "lesser irritator", then before? Not sure, but think Democrats will have serious task on hand, trying to hold House, and must pay a lot of attention to it...
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1455 on: February 27, 2019, 02:17:01 AM »

I'm not really bothering to follow special anymore, they were of limited utility in predicting the wave in 2018. However, during the 2017-2018 special election cycle, Democrats underperformed in Connecticut as well as the deep south quite a bit.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1456 on: February 27, 2019, 02:58:49 AM »

I'm not really bothering to follow special anymore, they were of limited utility in predicting the wave in 2018. However, during the 2017-2018 special election cycle, Democrats underperformed in Connecticut as well as the deep south quite a bit.

The classic response to a warning sign of a problem - disregard and pretend everything is fine. The Problem - everything is not fine.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1457 on: February 27, 2019, 03:13:57 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2019, 06:47:32 PM by Southern Dep. Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Schedule through 4/2

3/5 - TX HD 145 Runoff (D v D), KY SD 31, RI HD 68
3/12 - GA HD 176 Runoff (R v R), TX HD 125 Runoff, ME HD 124, MS HD 32, 71, 101 , PA HD 114, 190 , TN SD 32
3/19 - IA SD 30, MN HD 11B
3/26 - SC SD 6, CA SD 1 & 33 JUNGLE
3/30 - LA Runoffs - HD 17 (D v D), 18, 62 (R v I)
4/2 - ME HD 52, PA SD 37, and any needed MS Runoffs
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1458 on: February 27, 2019, 03:14:00 AM »

But they overperformed in Oklahoma, Tennessee and many other states. So, i wouldn't ignore these "warning signs" either...
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1459 on: February 27, 2019, 03:19:26 AM »

Guys, OF F[inks]ING COURSE THEY WEREN’T GOING TO KEEP OVDRPERFORMING. That’s generally what happens after you have a successful election. Trend currently is concerning but we’ll see how it goes with time. Worth noting that presidentials do have different dynamics than midterms due to the fact that everything in pretty much every race is swayed by how the national candidates so far.

Also we’ve been sliding in CT for a while; especially considering the margin in the gov race vs national environment.

I’m not entirely relaxed about it; it’s worrisome. But not time for panic mode just yet either.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1460 on: February 27, 2019, 05:46:55 AM »

Guys, OF F[inks]ING COURSE THEY WEREN’T GOING TO KEEP OVDRPERFORMING. That’s generally what happens after you have a successful election. Trend currently is concerning but we’ll see how it goes with time. Worth noting that presidentials do have different dynamics than midterms due to the fact that everything in pretty much every race is swayed by how the national candidates so far.

Also we’ve been sliding in CT for a while; especially considering the margin in the gov race vs national environment.

I’m not entirely relaxed about it; it’s worrisome. But not time for panic mode just yet either.

Well, no one panics. But a matter for concern - exist..
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1461 on: February 27, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »

The classic response to a warning sign of a problem - disregard and pretend everything is fine. The Problem - everything is not fine.

What problem would this be exactly? Losing seats in the Connecticut legislature is hardly worth losing sleep over.
UncleSam

« Reply #1462 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »

The takeaway from CT is clear: if you want to flip a PVI+11 seat from the opposing party, nominate someone named Bizzarro.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1463 on: February 27, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »

Remember when LimoLiberal insisted that the Texas special election like a month before 2018 meant Hurd was safe, Cruz would win by double digits, and Republicans would hold the House? I also remember when Oklahoma special elections meant Gov. Edmondson was inevitable.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1464 on: February 27, 2019, 05:44:47 PM »

Remember when LimoLiberal insisted that the Texas special election like a month before 2018 meant Hurd was safe, Cruz would win by double digits, and Republicans would hold the House? I also remember when Oklahoma special elections meant Gov. Edmondson was inevitable.

Now, this kind of inflammatory rhetoric is why people want you banned from Atlas.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1465 on: February 27, 2019, 05:50:33 PM »

The trend of special elections is worrying, yes, but I do not think it is time to go into panic mode yet. I would start to ig dems dont pick up the PA seat, though.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1466 on: February 27, 2019, 06:22:46 PM »

2018 was not a successful election by any stretch of the imagination for Democrats. They missed the mark on all the parameters that measure Democratic success tooled for the 2018 elections:

Success in House: Do Democrats have 243 or more seats in the House? No, failure of a cycle.
Success in Senate: Do Democrats have 51 or more seats in the Senate? No, failure of a cycle.
Success in Governorships: Do Democrats have 30 or more total Governorships? No, failure of a cycle.

2018 was a complete failure for the Democrats on every level.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1467 on: February 27, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »

2018 was not a successful election by any stretch of the imagination for Democrats. They missed the mark on all the parameters that measure Democratic success tooled for the 2018 elections:

Success in House: Do Democrats have 243 or more seats in the House? No, failure of a cycle.
Success in Senate: Do Democrats have 51 or more seats in the Senate? No, failure of a cycle.
Success in Governorships: Do Democrats have 30 or more total Governorships? No, failure of a cycle.

Uh, what kind of idiotic benchmarks are those? Dems only hit one of those in 2006 (the Senate one), and Republicans only one (the Governorship one, and number of governorships is something in which Republicans have a systemic edge) in 2010.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1468 on: February 27, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »

ok no
the benchmarks for 2018 was controlling the house which we do and holding down the senate and gaining governorships the only one that was a slight failure was the senate where we net lost a seat but we also won the popular vote in the senate 53%-38%  and we picked up 7 governorships 2018 was a success .
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1469 on: February 27, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »

Okay, after reading more about Lamont, I'm not as surprised about losing in Connecticut anymore. 

Raising taxes on groceries?

Having all vehicles pay tolls?

Eliminating the estate tax?

This governor is awful, no wonder people are at pissed at CT Dems.   They deserved this loss. 
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1470 on: February 27, 2019, 06:56:18 PM »

Okay, after reading more about Lamont, I'm not as surprised about losing in Connecticut anymore. 

This governor is awful, no wonder people are at pissed at CT Dems.   They deserved this loss. 
On the other hand, though, he managed to get a surplus. So pretty impressive in my book.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1471 on: February 27, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »

It’s not surprising that dems in CT underperformed

It’s the blue version of Kansas....state is in fiscal shambles. Incumbent party blamed

Remember, this 55-42 Clinton state almost went red in a 2018 blue wave year
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1472 on: February 27, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »

Lol, I remember when he was the "progressive" candidate against Lieberman.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1473 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »

Lol, I remember when he was the "progressive" candidate against Lieberman.

Ha was the anti-war candidate. Other than that I don't remember any other issues where the two of them fundamentally disagreed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1474 on: February 27, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

Uh, what kind of idiotic benchmarks are those? Dems only hit one of those in 2006 (the Senate one), and Republicans only one (the Governorship one, and number of governorships is something in which Republicans have a systemic edge) in 2010.

Solid thought WI-01 was lean D, clearly his expectations were a tad too high.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies