Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 01:56:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 77584 times)
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »

Williams was endorsed by the NY Times
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »

Executive Director of NY-Dems:

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #552 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2018, 12:54:28 PM by Zaybay »

Literally every Democrat north of the Bronx could stay home and the Democratic gubernatorial nominee would still have a 50/50 chance of winning. Put another way, the nominee could lose the same area by 45 points (Clinton won with a plurality) thanks to D-to-R defections and still pull right at 50% of the vote.

That may be true but Cynthia Nixon is farther to the left of Hillary.

We'll see though, we will see.
I have a bad feeling the left is gonna be very upset if Nixon loses on Thursday.
I can’t shake a bad feeling she’s going to win and risk blowing a safe election

.........I really hope you guys are joking about Nixon somehow losing the general, because that is some garbage level analysis, especially considering her base is in the Upstate portion of NY, not the city.
Nixon's base is Upstate?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
yes, it is. You have seen a map of Teachout's election, and the polls of the race, right? Where do you think her base is?
Just LOL.
Alright, where is her base then? If not upstate, then where?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #553 on: September 09, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »

The NY State Democratic party is sending mailers out that basically say that Nixon is an anti-semite. Disgusting.

If I wasn't sold on voting for Nixon before, I am now.

That mailer is despicable.
Kodak
United States

« Reply #554 on: September 09, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »

Neither candidate appeals to a specific geographic base. Cuomo will probably win by comfortably in both NYC and Upstate.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #555 on: September 09, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »

Neither candidate appeals to a specific geographic base. Cuomo will probably win by comfortably in both NYC and Upstate.
The first part of your statement is not true. Nixon is CLEARLY NYC-centric.

The 2nd part of your statement is (most likely) true.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #556 on: September 09, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »

I wonder why shes being so NYC-centric. Could it be that the voters in NYC are the ones she needs to win the election, and that Upstate is already safe for her? Could that be it, considering thats how literally every NY election has gone? Nah, her base is clearly no where, and she has no strategy whatsoever.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #557 on: September 09, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »

I wonder why shes being so NYC-centric. Could it be that the voters in NYC are the ones she needs to win the election, and that Upstate is already safe for her? Could that be it, considering thats how literally every NY election has gone? Nah, her base is clearly no where, and she has no strategy whatsoever.

Though honestly, I think Nixon may be making a mistake if she thinks Upstate is safe for her just because Teachout did well there.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #558 on: September 09, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

Like I said earlier "Just LOL".

Her ads and platform are geared towards NYC. Constantly talking about the NYC subway and her growing up in NYC public schools is supposed to appeal to Upstate voters? Rent control is supposed to appeal to Upstate voters? Please.

I'm a NYC resident and I'm used to gubernatorial candidates focusing on NYC for obvious reasons. However, at least other candidates have proposed issues that also address Upstate (at least somewhat). I'm not even sure that Cynthia knows about the challenges facing Upstate.
Duke of York

« Reply #559 on: September 09, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »

Her ads and platform are geared towards NYC. Constantly talking about the NYC subway and her growing up in NYC public schools is supposed to appeal to Upstate voters? Rent control is supposed to appeal to Upstate voters? Please.

I'm a NYC resident and I'm used to gubernatorial candidates focusing on NYC for obvious reasons. However, at least other candidates have proposed issues that also address Upstate (at least somewhat). I'm not even sure that Cynthia knows about the challenges facing Upstate.
I agree with you but if she gets enough votes in NYC she could win the primary and that's my fear. Cuomo got 82 percent in the Bronx  though in 2014 and equally high margins in the other boroughs save for Manhattan which was the closest. I have a hard time seeing that changing
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #560 on: September 09, 2018, 06:15:57 PM »

I can easily see a Nixon loss of the same percentage as Teachout being Manhattan, Westchester, and a few Deep left upstate hotspots like Ithaca.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #561 on: September 09, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »

Who'd think a Republican could win in NY of all places this year? It would take a Roy Moore-kind of situation make it competitive.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Cynthia Nixon is Jewish.  Either way, she definitely doesn't support anti-Semitic hate groups like BDS; Nixon has explicitly condemned them even before this incident.
Arson Plus
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2018, 06:20:49 PM »

Who'd think a Republican could win in NY of all places this year? It would take a Roy Moore-kind of situation make it competitive.

With Cuomo or Nixon being to replaced by Anthony Weiner and even then Weiner or even Miner could win
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: September 09, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »

Teachout didnt appeal there either, and she still won them. The reason why is simple, Upstate is anti-Cuomo, and more Left leaning(the Ds anyway) than the city of NYC. The voter coalitions for each candidate are as follows:
Cuomo- Minorities, NYC whites
Nixon- Upstate, NYC whites
The linchpin in each candidate's coalition is the NYC white population, which can give either candidate a victory. In this sense, it makes sense why both Nixon and Cuomo(you never seem to mention how he has neglected Upstate as well) are targeting them.

To give an example, does a Democratic presidential candidate talk about the problems facing California? No, not really. Do they talk about how they will fix OH? All the time. This is the same thing. Cuomo hasnt talked about anything for minority groups because they are already his voters.

As Sestak mentioned, however, its possible that Upstate may be less safe than presumed, but, if Nixon is getting 1/3 of the vote, its likely Upstate will be in her corner.

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »

By the way, there hasn't been any more polling for this race lately, right? If so, a Nixon upset wouldn't exactly be out of the question then, even if I believe it's unlikely ATM.
new_patomic

« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2018, 06:44:06 PM by new_patomic »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Cynthia Nixon is Jewish.  Either way, she definitely doesn't support anti-Semitic hate groups like BDS; Nixon has explicitly condemned them even before this incident.
Nixon herself does not personally identify as being jewish, but her children from her first marriage are jewish, and her and her wife attend a LGBT friendly synagogue and are raising their child in the jewish faith.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »

Literally every Democrat north of the Bronx could stay home and the Democratic gubernatorial nominee would still have a 50/50 chance of winning. Put another way, the nominee could lose the same area by 45 points (Clinton won with a plurality) thanks to D-to-R defections and still pull right at 50% of the vote.

but FEELINGS tho...
Duke of York

« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

By the way, there hasn't been any more polling for this race lately, right? If so, a Nixon upset wouldn't exactly be out of the question then, even if I believe it's unlikely ATM.

I heard there will be a new poll tomorrow for all three statewide primaries
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #569 on: September 10, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »

New Sienna poll ahead of Thursday primaries

https://scri.siena.edu/2018/09/10/cuomo-increases-lead-over-nixon-to-41-points-63-22/

Gov
Cuomo 63%
Nixon 22%

LG
Hochul 43%
Williams 21%

AG
Maloney 25%
James 24%
Teachout 18%
Eve 3%
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #570 on: September 10, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

Looooooooooooool god this is amazing. Cuomo did everything he could to give it away and he still couldn't come close.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #571 on: September 10, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »

Cuomo ahead among all age groups and region, that is great!

So, will Nixon be gracious in defeat and turn down the WFP nomination? I think she might do, but won't endorse Cuomo. She really seems to hate him. I hope Cuomo will be the only progressive on the ticket so that he can cruise to a massive landslide.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #572 on: September 10, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »

So, will Nixon be gracious in defeat and turn down the WFP nomination? I think she might do, but won't endorse Cuomo. She really seems to hate him. I hope Cuomo will be the only progressive on the ticket so that he can cruise to a massive landslide.

Lol @ saying Cuomo is a progressive.
GM Team Member and Acting PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #573 on: September 10, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

>cuomo
>progressive

pick one
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P P
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »

The plan is that she'll turn it down and seek a State House seat iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies