Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:33:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 77058 times)
Joey1996

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »

Do Tom Carper and Mazie Hirono have primary challengers yet?

Not that I know of, doubt Gabbard would run against Hirono.

Gabbard is just as bad as Hirono.

Well who else would challenge her? Kaniela Ing needs to win his current race.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 05:14:49 PM »

Hirono is quite good but IIRC Carper got a challenger a while back.

No

Duke of York

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2018, 05:35:32 PM by Duke of York »

Im not the biggest fan of Cuomo but but he's done a decent job as governor and I see no reason to oust him in favor of a actress with no political experience and zero qualifications. Being Governor is a monumental job and is not something we should just handover on a whim. Trump should be proof of that.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

Fwiw I don’t know who I’d vote for (probably Nixon) but at least another energised primary challenge  should show Cuomo he shouldn’t run for President.

Was the rampant corruption known of in 2014?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2018, 06:01:13 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »

That was a very good announcement video, btw.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2018, 06:30:44 PM »

Fwiw I don’t know who I’d vote for (probably Nixon) but at least another energised primary challenge  should show Cuomo he shouldn’t run for President.

Was the rampant corruption known of in 2014?

Yep. The Moreland Commission, which was created to investigate corruption and promptly shutdown by Cuomo when it started to investigate his own crap (sound familiar?), was a massive scandal and one of the hallmarks of Zephyr Teachout's primary challenge. She actually wrote a book about political corruption and was viewed as an anti-corruption candidate. That wasn't the only motivation for her support of course. And it wasn't the only problem that Cuomo faced. His dealings with the IDC and the Republicans to give the GOP control of the State Senate was well known. The guy even created his own "Women's Equality Party" to threaten the Working Families Party into endorsing him after they initially entertained the idea of picking Teachout instead. The party serves no purpose at all. I'm not even sure if it has an organization or a leader. It's sole purpose is to attempt to screw over the WFP, and I guess also to trick unsuspecting feminists into voting for a happy sounding "yay women equality" party. This list goes on and on and on... lol. That man is one vindictive SoB.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »

How much more progressive is Rochester than Carper, anyway?

Also lol @ Solid acting like Hirono's 20% score is some kind of abomination. Hirono's fine.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »

I would probably vote for Cynthia Nixon, why not? At least she has the decency to run for something as a celebrity before going all the way to President.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2018, 06:52:21 PM »

Andrew Cuomo is a crook.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

What exactly are her qualifications to be Governor? Like Cuomo or not, Nixon is not qualified to be Governor of a state. You don't just reach for an executive office without any political experience.

What were Reagan's qualifications to be Governor?

Army Capt and President of the Screen Actors Guild.

I don't think you need political experience to be qualified as governor, but you should have leadership experience of some kind.  Whether this applies to Cynthia Nixon I don't know as I couldn't have put a name to her face before today.
kyc0705

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »

Im not the biggest fan of Cuomo but but he's done a decent job as governor and I see no reason to oust him in favor of a actress with no political experience and zero qualifications. Being Governor is a monumental job and is not something we should just handover on a whim. Trump should be proof of that.

Trump was never the governor of anything. I don't understand the "experience" argument for offices under the presidency, because it's very open to slippery-slope arguments. What office do we decide is entry-level? Congress? State legislatures? City council? The mayor? A Homeowners board?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »

What exactly are her qualifications to be Governor? Like Cuomo or not, Nixon is not qualified to be Governor of a state. You don't just reach for an executive office without any political experience.

What were Reagan's qualifications to be Governor?

Army Capt and President of the Screen Actors Guild.

I don't think you need political experience to be qualified as governor, but you should have leadership experience of some kind.  Whether this applies to Cynthia Nixon I don't know as I couldn't have put a name to her face before today.

This. Executive experience of any kind really is a must for someone who wants to be Governor. It can be in labor, the military, business, (non-elected) government, or the law. Or anything else, really. But Nixon is just another rich white person running for office who might be a better ideological fit - though her progressive credentials should be in question, given she just starred in a film adaptation of one of Bill O'Reilly's books -- but would almost certainly be a poor executive.

I don't live in New York though, obviously, so y'all do what you want.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »

Endorsed. I'll probably send some money her way, too.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2018, 11:57:02 PM »

If you were fine with Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger being elected governor in their day, you should be just as fine with a woman actor being elected governor. 
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 01:03:51 AM »

His name was only mentioned 132 times at the Perrocco trial
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:07 AM »

Nixon's lack of "qualifications" is a nonfactor. Frankly, there are activists like Nixon that would make far better politicians than many current officeholders. If she has good policies, which she does and Cuomo does not, then she would have my vote. Should we penalize all the veterans running for Congress as Democrats because they didn't occupy a State House/State Senate seat beforehand?

Having these qualifications is purely meritocracy. It's ludicrous to think that politics is a skill you need to learn, because it frames it as a managerial issue rather than an issue of policy, aims and values. Any Governor or President will have advisors anyways. In any case, Cuomo would be considered a "qualified" governor because of his time at HUD and being the state's top attorney, but he's run NY into the ground (don't believe me, take a ride on the NYC subway).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »

I look forward to Cuomo beating Nixon's BDSer trash campaign by 35 points, and then unleashing Schneiderman against De Blasio in retaliation.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »

Nixon's lack of "qualifications" is a nonfactor. Frankly, there are activists like Nixon that would make far better politicians than many current officeholders. If she has good policies, which she does and Cuomo does not, then she would have my vote. Should we penalize all the veterans running for Congress as Democrats because they didn't occupy a State House/State Senate seat beforehand?

Having these qualifications is purely meritocracy. It's ludicrous to think that politics is a skill you need to learn, because it frames it as a managerial issue rather than an issue of policy, aims and values. Any Governor or President will have advisors anyways. In any case, Cuomo would be considered a "qualified" governor because of his time at HUD and being the state's top attorney, but he's run NY into the ground (don't believe me, take a ride on the NYC subway).

You know, I'm highly tempted to replace she with he, Cuomo with Clinton, and Nixon with Trump and just repost the argument. If you did though, you would realize how weak this argument is though.
Babeuf

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »

You know, I'm highly tempted to replace she with he, Cuomo with Clinton, and Nixon with Trump and just repost the argument. If you did though, you would realize how weak this argument is though.
But the problem with Trump isn't his lack of experience, it's his ideology and temperament.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

Better than Cuomo.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2018, 12:41:17 PM »

I’m going to need more Sex and the City jokes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »

Well, that escalated quickly.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »

Why is she not qualified to be a lesbian?
Babeuf

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »

lol she's still bitter over the 2013 primary. "Cynthia Nixon was opposed to having a qualified lesbian become mayor of New York City."

If Quinn hadn't been so uncritical of Bloomberg and his agenda she might have gotten Nixon's endorsement, and might even be mayor now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies