Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:15:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 77249 times)
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:09 PM »

Good that New Yorkers are finally telling the IDC where to stick it.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #826 on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:16 PM »

Nixon was never going to beat Cuomo.

Also, it shows that the centrist New York Democrat is nearing extinction.

The IDC was a foolish conference, but they did appeal to Independent voters.

Outerborough white ethnics will probably stay home in November

The NYGOP needs to take a couple hundred pages out of whatever book Giuliani was reading in 1997.

That book has been lost.

Back in the 1990s, when I lived in NY, several things were qualitatively different. Partisanship was not as strong as it is now and the NYC was going through a serious internal crisis. Electing a mayor with an (R) next to his name was no real threat: the City was still reliably Democratic at every other level.

Things are very different now. IDC members were kicked out not because they were moderates - there are enough moderates in the NY Democratic Party, beginning with the Governor himself. They were kicked out for treason. Whether you are a moderate or a leftist these days, cooperating with the Trump Republican Party is no longer acceptable. NY Dem electorate is still moderate, for the most part - they have demonstrated this amply tonight, renominating a very solid moderate slate at the state level. But one can be moderate and partisan at the same time - and that is what we are observing.

Again - full agreement.
this line of thinking makes 0 sense, especially when you realize the IDC, lead by Cuomo's personal ally, were created as a barrier for Cuomo, and only rejoined when Cuomo told them to. What happened was that Cuomo's hand weakened, but didnt crumble, that was the result, not any of this "moderate Ds stayed but traitors were ousted" garbage.

How many non-traitors have had a problem this year? One?

2, one lost to a DSA member, the other two a progressive, both were moderates, in the NY state senate.

If you are talking in general this year, then I would have too long of a list.
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #827 on: September 13, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »

The NYGOP needs to take a couple hundred pages out of whatever book Giuliani was reading in 1997.

That book has been lost.

Back in the 1990s, when I lived in NY, several things were qualitatively different. Partisanship was not as strong as it is now and the NYC was going through a serious internal crisis. Electing a mayor with an (R) next to his name was no real threat: the City was still reliably Democratic at every other level.

Things are very different now. IDC members were kicked out not because they were moderates - there are enough moderates in the NY Democratic Party, beginning with the Governor himself. They were kicked out for treason. Whether you are a moderate or a leftist these days, cooperating with the Trump Republican Party is no longer acceptable. NY Dem electorate is still moderate, for the most part - they have demonstrated this amply tonight, renominating a very solid moderate slate at the state level. But one can be moderate and partisan at the same time - and that is what we are observing.

Again - full agreement.
this line of thinking makes 0 sense, especially when you realize the IDC, lead by Cuomo's personal ally, were created as a barrier for Cuomo, and only rejoined when Cuomo told them to. What happened was that Cuomo's hand weakened, but didnt crumble, that was the result, not any of this "moderate Ds stayed but traitors were ousted" garbage.

2, one lost to a DSA member, the other two a progressive, both were moderates, in the NY state senate.

Am I missing something? It was Dilan and who lost to Salzar, and I don't think any other non-IDC incumbent Senators lost
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #828 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:24 PM »

Well, considering how many self-styled progressives have lost to good Dems this year, I am not sure you want both sides of that list compiled Smiley
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #829 on: September 13, 2018, 11:29:40 PM »

Well, considering how many self-styled progressives have lost to good Dems this year, I am not sure you want both sides of that list compiled Smiley

you do realize the progressive list would be larger, right? Good, or moderate, I guess is what you mean, Dems have been doing rather poorly this year, on all levels.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #830 on: September 13, 2018, 11:32:08 PM »

That book has been lost.

Again - full agreement.

Am I missing something? It was Dilan and who lost to Salzar, and I don't think any other non-IDC incumbent Senators lost

Whoops, my mistake, its only one incumbent who lost. I accidentally referred to an open primary. Taking the open ones in, the Cuomo side made one gain, and the insurgents made 2 gains, so I guess insurgent/progressives take the open seats overall.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #831 on: September 13, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »

you do realize the progressive list would be larger, right? Good, or moderate, I guess is what you mean, Dems have been doing rather poorly this year, on all levels.

No, I do not Smiley In fact, I have been surprised how short it has been so far. Good Dems have been doing a lot better than the self-styled progressives.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #832 on: September 13, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »

No, I do not Smiley In fact, I have been surprised how short it has been so far. Good Dems have been doing a lot better than the self-styled progressives.

What are you talking about? Alright, who do you consider a good Dem?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »

Clintons, Cuomo - you know, the old crowd Smiley

I am being deliberately facetious Smiley I do not mind your guys either. At this point, all these within-party divisions do not matter: we are in the age of Trump, aren't we? But I was amused by how you tried to repackage a clear and comfortable win by Cuomo somehow as his loss. It was a bad spin - and I had some fun at your expense.

More seriously, though, Dems have not gone too radical this year. Only 2 Dem incumbents in the House lost the primary so far - and one of those was not any different on policy issues from the challenger. Nominees for open/Republican seats are not very radical either, for the most part. And now that the primary season is over you would do well advertising this to the general electorate. Unless, of course, you do not care at all about who controls the federal government.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #834 on: September 14, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2018, 12:09:56 AM by Zaybay »

I am being deliberately facetious Smiley I do not mind your guys either. At this point, all these within-party divisions do not matter: we are in the age of Trump, aren't we? But I was amused by how you tried to repackage a clear and comfortable win by Cuomo somehow as his loss. It was a bad spin - and I had some fun at your expense.

More seriously, though, Dems have not gone too radical this year. Only 2 Dem incumbents in the House lost the primary so far - and one of those was not any different on policy issues from the challenger. Nominees for open/Republican seats are not very radical either, for the most part. And now that the primary season is over you would do well advertising this to the general electorate. Unless, of course, you do not care at all about who controls the federal government.

So, you basically have provided no one who is associated with the more moderate Clintonite branch, while I could hand you a list of the Progressives who have won, including Eastman, Davis, Golden, Hayes, literally all of the CA Orange county challengers, Gillum, Iron Stache, AOC, Talib, Omar, Garcia, Corday, Kim, Wallace, Wild, I could go on.

And its already been proven that no one cares about the ideology of candidates, proven by the fact that progressives are already leading in polling in tossup/lean R districts, with moderates, funnily enough, doing worse.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2018, 01:27:14 AM »

So, you basically have provided no one who is associated with the more moderate Clintonite branch, while I could hand you a list of the Progressives who have won, including Eastman, Davis, Golden, Hayes, literally all of the CA Orange county challengers, Gillum, Iron Stache, AOC, Talib, Omar, Garcia, Corday, Kim, Wallace, Wild, I could go on.

And its already been proven that no one cares about the ideology of candidates, proven by the fact that progressives are already leading in polling in tossup/lean R districts, with moderates, funnily enough, doing worse.

I mean, just today Cuomo and Hochul won in the biggest races of the day, haven't they? You really want me to continue?

Yes, nobody cares about the ideology of a particular candidate: it is all a trademark. What you want to avoid is that the trademark becomes radicalised: then even the moderates will start losing.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2018, 01:57:23 AM »

I mean, just today Cuomo and Hochul won in the biggest races of the day, haven't they? You really want me to continue?

Yes, nobody cares about the ideology of a particular candidate: it is all a trademark. What you want to avoid is that the trademark becomes radicalised: then even the moderates will start losing.

And we just saw progressive candidates knock out 6 of the 8 former IDC members? Races where ideology clearly mattered? (Not even including Salazar who was endorsed by DSA and ran against a literal developer/landlord shill?)

I don't think you know what you're talking about, buddy.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #837 on: September 14, 2018, 02:26:51 AM »

Great results. You can't stump the Cuomo! Hope he cracks 60% in November.

By the way, the title should now be changed. Cuomo cruise sounds nice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #838 on: September 14, 2018, 02:40:52 AM »

And it also draws attention to the fact that he's about as likable as Ted Cruz. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #839 on: September 14, 2018, 02:55:43 AM »

For Torie's amusement, if he ever reads this thread:

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #840 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:16 AM »

And we just saw progressive candidates knock out 6 of the 8 former IDC members? Races where ideology clearly mattered? (Not even including Salazar who was endorsed by DSA and ran against a literal developer/landlord shill?)

I don't think you know what you're talking about, buddy.

I do not think that ideology even mattered for those 6 incumbents. They were not in this for ideology, but for power. They were labeled as traitors: they were thrown out by voters who also voted for Cuomo. I mean: I do not mourn any of them, and I couldn't care less what was the ideology of their challengers. They could have been Homeopaths, as far as I am concerned, I would still be happy about them winning Smiley

Your only real examples of "progressives" defeating an honest Dem incumbent in NY are Salazar and Ocasio.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #841 on: September 14, 2018, 04:11:47 AM »

And it also draws attention to the fact that he's about as likable as Ted Cruz. Tongue

Not really a great comparison Tongue

A. Cuomo = progressive pragmatist, who has a proven record of achievements as governor who stands up to bigotry and Donald Trump. Not a perfect man or politican, nobody claimed he was.

R. Cruz = hard-right ideologue whose record is nothing but obstruction and total hypocrisy towards Donald Trump.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #842 on: September 14, 2018, 05:37:03 AM »

Ok, so that....2 good dems vs.......the 20 Progressive Dems I named. So, yeah, I would appriciate if you continued.

Also, it now seems that your taking what I said in a new context. Ideology matters in primaries, where the voters are actually deciding based on that. In generals, they dont.

And yes, ideology is one of the reasons that the incumbents were thrown out. Its no surprise that there was a high correlation between Nixon/Teachout/Williams voters and anti-IDC voters.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #843 on: September 14, 2018, 06:24:06 AM »

Ok, so that....2 good dems vs.......the 20 Progressive Dems I named. So, yeah, I would appriciate if you continued.

Also, it now seems that your taking what I said in a new context. Ideology matters in primaries, where the voters are actually deciding based on that. In generals, they dont.

And yes, ideology is one of the reasons that the incumbents were thrown out. Its no surprise that there was a high correlation between Nixon/Teachout/Williams voters and anti-IDC voters.

The IDC lost for being traitors, pure and simple. 
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #844 on: September 14, 2018, 06:32:42 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2018, 06:38:16 AM by Zaybay »

The IDC lost for being traitors, pure and simple. 

Tell that to the correlation between Cuomo voters and Pro-IDC voters and Nixon-AntiIDC voters. Its clear that they didnt lose for just that one reason, if it was that, then the other 3 should have gone down as well, but those 3 were in Pro-Cuomo precincts, so they were able to win. The correlation can be seen elsewhere, with a Pro-Nixon precinct giving the voters to a DSA challenger, while a pro-Cuomo precinct gave its votes to a confident of Cuomo.

Its pretty clear that its machine politics, and that the voters who voted out the IDC were not just NY Dems, but ones outside the machine, because, you know, that kinda makes sense, especially when you consider how hard Cuomo tried to keep the IDC from losing the primary.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #845 on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:58 AM »

What do you think about Teachout's given name?

Honestly, what parents have their child baptized Zephyr Rain? Does she have a brother called Boreas Storm? Roll Eyes

And for all those whose tears of mourning have sunk beneath the sun I have a on-topic music tip (though I doubt anyone will care to understand that joke...).

brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #846 on: September 14, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #847 on: September 14, 2018, 09:41:23 AM »

Why did Nixon do so well around Albany? I know Teachout also did well there in 2014.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #848 on: September 14, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

Why did Nixon do so well around Albany? I know Teachout also did well there in 2014.

Maybe the government workers never really forgave Cuomo?
Duke of York

« Reply #849 on: September 14, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

That's if Nixon doesn't siphon off a large number of votes which she very well might if she actively campaigns
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies