How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?  (Read 8169 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »

Never touched a gun (beyond a little bit of target shooting in Scouts) and never will. The idea of needing "protection" is just not something that has entered my mind. Possibly one of those brain chemistry differences between conservatives and liberals.
You think the world is a playground of peace, don't you?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

I’ve never owned or touched a gun.  My family never locked our doors growing up.  And when we were robbed through a vague personal connection, the thieves were caught and sent to prison and we received restitution. 
The OP in this thread is so alien to me and represents a sad, unhealthy world view.  Take a chill pill and lay off the guns, dude.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »

Who says liberals can't also own guns?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »

Stereotype.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »

I melt the bones and flesh of anyone who threatens me using my galactic liberal brain.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »

I’ve never owned or touched a gun.  My family never locked our doors growing up.  And when we were robbed through a vague personal connection, the thieves were caught and sent to prison and we received restitution. 
The OP in this thread is so alien to me and represents a sad, unhealthy world view.  Take a chill pill and lay off the guns, dude.

If you were robbed, one reason you were robbed was that the robber(s) believed that you and your family (A) were unarmed, or (B) did not have the willingness or ability to use their gun.

It takes moxie to rob someone who's armed and most criminals aren't up to that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »

If you were robbed, one reason you were robbed was that the robber(s) believed that you and your family (A) were unarmed, or (B) did not have the willingness or ability to use their gun.

It takes moxie to rob someone who's armed and most criminals aren't up to that.

>>Assigning rational and logical thought to criminals
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:04 PM »

Protect themselves from what? Some non existent epidemic of home invasions?

Lol home invasions, armed robberies and car jackings happen quite often where I live.

Ultimately this is an issue about poverty, though guns being smuggled in from more lax counties doesn't help....still you have to be pretty sheltered to think these things aren't happening, daily in some places.
yeah i've literally walked past people i knew were going to try to mug me before (room mate at the time wasn't so lucky). not now but when i was living around a rough area of connecticut going to college near by. very glad i don't live there anymore. i do support some gun control, i guess, but i don't want to ban 'assault weapons' again
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »

Never touched a gun (beyond a little bit of target shooting in Scouts) and never will. The idea of needing "protection" is just not something that has entered my mind. Possibly one of those brain chemistry differences between conservatives and liberals.
The odds that I would ever need a gun to save my life are very, very small. I try to approach life as rationally as mathematically as possible, unlike the emotionals on the pro-gun side.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

Also I don't have delusional fantasies about having an excuse to kill or injure someone.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »

The odds that I would ever need a gun to save my life are very, very small. I try to approach life as rationally as mathematically as possible, unlike the emotionals on the pro-gun side.

The odds of dying in a mass shooting are also very, very small but that doesn't stop the emotional anti-gun crowd from trying to ban AR-15s.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

The odds of dying in a mass shooting are also very, very small but that doesn't stop the emotional anti-gun crowd from trying to ban AR-15s.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2018, 08:34:44 PM »

Wait, did I read this right? 1.3 million people die in car accidents each year?

That means that an average American would have basically a 40% chance of being killed in a car accident over the course of their lives - that's g insane. Why isn't anyone doing anything about this?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »

Wait, did I read this right? 1.3 million people die in car accidents each year?

That means that an average American would have basically a 40% chance of being killed in a car accident over the course of their lives - that's g insane. Why isn't anyone doing anything about this?

My apologies, quoted the wrong figure.
That's worldwide (and may actually be larger since the source was a few years back and in many places, the number of deaths has gone up recently). 

it's just over 40,000 per year in the US (per 2017 statistics).

Which is still significantly more than the statistics of people who die each year from "assault weapons".
UncleSam

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 09:24:27 PM »

I don't own a home so this isn't really applicable to me, but I have never once thought wow I really wish I had a gun right now. Obviously all it takes is once, but I've been to the south side of Chicago and basically everywhere in Seattle. As long as you're not travelling down alleys, walking late at night, or carrying expensive things in plain sight, you're not likely to be in any danger. Besides, almost no one is saying to ban all guns. They're just saying that there was never a home invasion or any other self defense situation which would've been improved by a law abiding citizen holding an AR-15 rifle as opposed to, say, a shotgun.

There's no reason AR-15s shouldn't be banned. There's no reason not to ensure that only adults can buy a firearm. There's no reason why the mentally I'll should be able to buy a gun.

This isn't governmental 'control' or overreach. It's common sense. You can be a libertarian and believe that government still has some place in keeping military grade weapons out of civilian life.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2018, 09:42:37 PM by President fhtagn »

There's no reason AR-15s shouldn't be banned.
The vast majority of the ones already in the hands of citizens are used for hunting, as well as target practice and competitive shooting. Very, very few are actually used for killing people. So there really is no reason to ban them.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's a civilian version of a military weapon. They're no more dangerous than modern hunting rifles. In fact, they function exactly the same. I can easily modify my family's hunting rifles to be more "dangerous" than what you think an AR-15 is but you folks wouldn't be calling for banning them because they don't look as scary. Stop pretending that banning a gun that is very rarely used in killing is "common sense", especially when it's really just emotional, childish logic with little to no facts to support it.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »

There's no reason AR-15s shouldn't be banned.
The vast majority of the ones already in the hands of citizens are used for hunting, as well as target practice and competitive shooting. Very, very few are actually used for killing people. So there really is no reason to ban them.

It's a civilian version of a military weapon. They're no more dangerous than modern hunting rifles. In fact, they function exactly the same. I can easily modify my family's hunting rifles to be more "dangerous" than what you think an AR-15 is but you folks wouldn't be calling for banning them because they don't look as scary. Stop pretending that banning a gun that is very rarely used in killing is "common sense", especially when it's really just emotional, childish logic with little to no facts to support it.
well it's kind of pointless to ban them because the manufacturers would make just a few minor changes to comply with the law and sell similar guns. like the last time it happened. i think even brtd said something similar a few threads ago
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Also I don't have delusional fantasies about having an excuse to kill or injure someone.

I'm a gun owner, and even when I was shooting regularly, it would be a delusional fantasy to think that, loaded with adrenaline (and likely in the middle of the night) I could:

a) tell a would-be robber apart from a houseguest, visitor with a key, or even my drunk upstairs neighbor when I've forgotten to lock my door (which happened once and scared the hell out of me, but the effective and appropriate response would not have involved a gun).

b) correctly assess whether I've got a good line of fire or not, and

c) correctly operate my weapon, much less hit a putative armed and aggressive intruder.

(And that's assuming I had a weapon and ammunition where I (or anyone else) could easily access it, instead of locked, unloaded, in my gun safe.

The problem with 2nd amendment fanatics is that they think guns are magic talismans. Ironically, possibly because they play too many video games and watch too many action movies. But also because they've been fed a steady diet of UTTER BS from the NRA.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:28 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2018, 02:15:46 AM by Vice President PiT »

My dad has been alive for 80 years and has never needed to "defend himself."

I am not afraid of the world at large. If there is a gun in your home, it's more likely to be used against you. If someone broke into my house, I wouldn't kill them for that, and if you pull a gun on someone, you need to be ready to kill that person. While the police are not perfect, they are who the law has entrusted to help with justice, and I will not try to deliver "justice" on my own, because that's anything but justice.

Quote from: Restricted
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 02:16:10 AM »

Fhtagn and badger, break it up. This sort of exchange isn't productive.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 02:23:43 AM »

I have a gun.  Actually, I own more than one.  I also own many pocket knives.

No sensible person is calling for a ban on all guns.  What we want are assault weapons bans, better background checks, raising the age from 18 to 21, etc.

Gun control does not mean taking away people's guns.  Guns should be available for purchase, but that doesn't mean it needs to be anywhere near as easy as it is currently to purchase one.  We are pro-2nd amendment.  Military grade weapons shouldn't be available; AR-15's shouldn't be available; background checks should be more extensive; people with mental illness shouldn't be allowed to purchase; an 18 year old high school student shouldn't be allowed to buy one; there should be some kind of training required or some way that you can show you know how to respect, handle, and operate a firearm.  There's more steps you have to go thru in order to legally drive a car.

Seriously, what does your side not understand about this?
Because there are many peaceful, decent, law-abiding people of all backgrounds and walks of life who own AR-15s (and weapons of similar caliber), and they've never used it to kill anyone in the manner that these shooters do.  Why punish them?

For the same reason that tens of thousands of people who safely drive 130 miles an hour on the highway harming anyone car, as you put it, punished by limiting the speed limit to 75 or 80 miles an hour.

About 1.3 million people die in car accidents per year, with speeding being a factor in about 30% of those.

Compare this to about 30,000 people who die from guns per year, the majority actually being from suicide (about 60%). The numbers are much smaller when it comes to murders, and even smaller than that when it comes to mass shootings.

Not to mention there's other factors at play that increase the risks of an accident and death while speeding that can't even be compared to guns.

Your comparison is bad and you should feel bad.

Now compare the ratio of car owners in the country to the number of gun owners in apply your same facts. And yes, suicides are a factor there as well.

Your comparison is bad, and what you feel or shouldn't feel is irrelevant as this is simply another day that ends in y for your posts.

Your point still holds absolutely no merit, and you've offered nothing to suggest it does.

But hey, good job proving yourself to be what just about everyone already knows: a Democrat who is just into whatever the party thinks is cool to parrot and ignores facts and real solutions because the end goal (even though it's bad and solves nothing) makes them feel good Smiley

Nope. Still more Republican activist than you ever have been my bloated little keyboard Warrior.

Tell me is there even a single issue you agree with the Republicans on.

I mean if there were a few issues you disagree with them on(For example I disagree with them on Obamacare , military spending, and some social issues) you could still call your self a Republican but if you basically disagree with them on all the issues than that basically means your not a Republican.

I mean

-you oppose Tax Cuts but at the same time dont support spending cuts

- you said you dont even believe Tax Cuts targeted at small buisness will help the economy more than spending increases do

- You are totally opposed to their foreign policy

- You oppose deregulation of buisnesses

AtorBoltox

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 02:26:44 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2018, 12:14:41 AM by AtorBoltox »

Conservatives, why is Australia is a much safer society than America despite gun ownership not being prevalent?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 02:35:17 AM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2018, 02:42:15 AM »

Assault weapons are designed to kill people (soldiers) in mass.
They are designed for the military.
Citizens don't need to own this style of weapon. You can not excuse "good" people wanting them for "fun," when wackos have easy access to them and go out and ..... well ..... kill (innocent) citizens in mass.
We need to draw the line somewhere, is this is the line.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies