Describe a Coolidge '24/Johnson '64/Wallace '68/McGovern '72/Obama '08 voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Coolidge '24/Johnson '64/Wallace '68/McGovern '72/Obama '08 voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Coolidge '24/Johnson '64/Wallace '68/McGovern '72/Obama '08 voter  (Read 1568 times)
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »

*Assume they lived for a long long time
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:47 PM »

To vote in 2008, this person has to be AT LEAST 105 by 2008. Also, I highly doubt you're going to find more than a handful of people nationwide who voted Wallace 68/McGovern 72.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 01:13:24 PM »

There was at least one person who voted in every election from 1920 to 2012.  She voted Republican every time.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »

There was at least one person who voted in every election from 1920 to 2012.  She voted Republican every time.
Who was that?
Also that takes serious dedication considering how radically the GOP has changed over the years.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »

To vote in 2008, this person has to be AT LEAST 105 by 2008. Also, I highly doubt you're going to find more than a handful of people nationwide who voted Wallace 68/McGovern 72.
Obviously that's a very small group, but still there must have been at least ~500 or so,  I would think.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »

Who was that?
Also that takes serious dedication considering how radically the GOP has changed over the years.

Not really.  Most people aren't political nerds and vote for tribal reasons a lot of the time.  Imagine some dude whose dad owned his own business and he took it over.  He could easily get by voting for "the party that's best for my business/livelihood" every one of those elections with a GOP vote.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »

Who was that?

Not really.  Most people aren't political nerds and vote for tribal reasons a lot of the time.  Imagine some dude whose dad owned his own business and he took it over.  He could easily get by voting for "the party that's best for my business/livelihood" every one of those elections with a GOP vote.
That's basically what I was saying. Despite the drastic differences between, say, Warren Harding and George W. Bush, she still voted Republican in literally every election.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »

A white male from Chicago who died fighting in WWII whose vote became reliably Democratic afterwards, except for '68 when someone using his name accidentally marked the wrong box after a long day of voting.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »

There was at least one person who voted in every election from 1920 to 2012.  She voted Republican every time.
Who was that?

Well considering the GOP was more right wing in the 1920s than at anytime in its history I wouldn’t say that .

Calvin Coolidge and Warren Harding are probably the two most conservative US presidents in the past 150 years
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »

Who was that?

I can't find the information unfortunately.  But I know I read it somewhere.

While both parties have done a lot of changing, I don't see what Obama in 2012 really had to offer to someone who was a loyal Republican in the midst of the Great Depression.  Old people also tend to be very conservative.  I think it's much more likely that a 1920s Democrat would vote Republican today than a 1920s Republican voting Democrat today.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »

For the record, I knew someone who was a Landon '36 (I think she met Alf, she at least knew his wife) Bush '04 voter who died shortly before the 2008 election.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »

There was at least one person who voted in every election from 1920 to 2012.  She voted Republican every time.
Who was that?

Well considering the GOP was more right wing in the 1920s than at anytime in its history I wouldn’t say that .

Calvin Coolidge and Warren Harding are probably the two most conservative US presidents in the past 150 years
The GOP has changed in a lot of ways since then, not just moving in a more right-wing direction.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »

Who was that?

The GOP has changed in a lot of ways since then, not just moving in a more right-wing direction.

Yah sure but really the only Republicans from that time who would be Democrats today and during the Bush years are African-Americans and Maybe Anti War Voters(But its likely they are Libertarian).

If you are talking about Social Issues the National Republican Party had already become pretty right wing by then.

- They strongly supported Prohibition

- They supported the 1924 Immigration Act (Which restricted Immigration even more than what Trump/Cotton proposed and today there is a large sect of  Republican politicians who opposed Trump/Cotton proposal while the same was not true for the 1924 one)

- They were anti international organizations

- They ran campaigns dog whistling to anti-catholic voters(1928 one)

- Even on Civil Rights, by the 1920s they became very reluctant to put those Pro-Civil Rights Beliefs into Actions

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »

I don't really think that someone who voted straight ticket Republican in the 1920s voting straight ticket Republican in the 2000s is that surprising. States in the Great Plains have been consistently Republican for 150 years outside of flirting with Bryan in the 1890s, and even when Roosevelt won them it was by a narrow margin. A voter in Kansas or Nebraska voting Republican forever is far less surprising than a voter of that description voting Democrat.

Look at Alf Landon voting Republican for his entire life through the 1980s and his daughter (born 1932) being a GOP Senator until 1997 and still being a loyal Republican today.

EDIT: LOL: Kansas has voted Republican all but 6 elections since it became a state in the 1860s, and one of those times was third party for Wheeler in 1892.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »

A black person who screwed up their '68 vote.
Metalhead123

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »

They all lived in South Boston.

?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies