Will the March for Our Lives be bigger than the Women's March?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:39:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the March for Our Lives be bigger than the Women's March?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Will the March for Our Lives be bigger than the Women's March?  (Read 2271 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 12:24:12 AM »

However, eliminating the availability of popular, semi-automatic, civilian-use rifles simply because they are used in a tiny number of heinous crimes (on average 200 deaths caused by these rifles per year out of the 11,000 total gun deaths) is simply bad policy and won't get at the root of the problem - WHY people commit these crimes.
Republican politicians have no interest in tackling mental health, poverty, or the wide availability of guns.

Also, it's beyond dishonest of you to decrease the 30,000+ gun deaths down to 11,000 for whatever reason. I'm guessing you think suicides don't count?

I mean, I'm sure he's mostly referring to homicides (see: "heinous crimes"). And even counting suicides, his point is still valid.

And anyway, restricting guns doesn't stop people from wanting to commit suicide, it just takes away one way that people actually do them. Without addressing the actual problem, they'd simply find another way to do it, such as overdoses, jumping off bridges, slitting their wrists, etc.

That argument also applies to murders. You don't actually stop anything by taking away guns, you just take away one way they can actually commit them. It doesn't stop someone who plans to kill lots of people from making home made bombs, running down pedestrians with a car, etc. Or if someone plans to kill just one person, they can simply use other weapons like a knife, or poisoning them, suffocating them, drowning them, the list goes on.

It seems too often that Dems on here are so busy focusing on the how, that they don't actually care about the why. Which is the point he's making and you seem to be missing.

I don't really care about a semi-auto ban, but it's silly when gun rights advocates magically become the strategic "helper" to suicidal people and murders when gun reform comes up. Like, a suicidal person will finish Tough Mudder, run a Marathon, do the Tour De France, get a college degree, and move halfway across the country if they're REALLY determined to kill themselves. There's no obstacle they can't overcome! Believe in Yourself! Just admit that there are violent actions and crimes of opportunity and passion that can be dissuaded or foiled by the lack of a ready instrument at hand.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »

However, eliminating the availability of popular, semi-automatic, civilian-use rifles simply because they are used in a tiny number of heinous crimes (on average 200 deaths caused by these rifles per year out of the 11,000 total gun deaths) is simply bad policy and won't get at the root of the problem - WHY people commit these crimes.
Republican politicians have no interest in tackling mental health, poverty, or the wide availability of guns.

Also, it's beyond dishonest of you to decrease the 30,000+ gun deaths down to 11,000 for whatever reason. I'm guessing you think suicides don't count?

I mean, I'm sure he's mostly referring to homicides (see: "heinous crimes"). And even counting suicides, his point is still valid.

And anyway, restricting guns doesn't stop people from wanting to commit suicide, it just takes away one way that people actually do them. Without addressing the actual problem, they'd simply find another way to do it, such as overdoses, jumping off bridges, slitting their wrists, etc.

That argument also applies to murders. You don't actually stop anything by taking away guns, you just take away one way they can actually commit them. It doesn't stop someone who plans to kill lots of people from making home made bombs, running down pedestrians with a car, etc. Or if someone plans to kill just one person, they can simply use other weapons like a knife, or poisoning them, suffocating them, drowning them, the list goes on.

It seems too often that Dems on here are so busy focusing on the how, that they don't actually care about the why. Which is the point he's making and you seem to be missing.

I don't really care about a semi-auto ban, but it's silly when gun rights advocates magically become the strategic "helper" to suicidal people and murders when gun reform comes up. Like, a suicidal person will finish Tough Mudder, run a Marathon, do the Tour De France, get a college degree, and move halfway across the country if they're REALLY determined to kill themselves. There's no obstacle they can't overcome! Believe in Yourself! Just admit that there are violent actions and crimes of opportunity and passion that can be dissuaded or foiled by the lack of a ready instrument at hand.

If that's what you got from my reply, I suggest you try reading again and coming up with a better response.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »

Bumping this thread because it's in two days.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »

One thing that I would say is that the advocates of this march aren't necessarily the best people for taking charge of a movement such as this. David Hogg was recently interviewed by some outlet (https://theoutline.com/post/3571/david-hogg-parkland-interview?zd=1&zi=e33xj5en), and every other word that came out of his mouth was the F-bomb. Kasky, Gonzalez, and some of the other students have been acting in ways that to me seem selfish, obnoxious, and flat-out rude. Of course, given how our President acts in the exact same manner, and given how some people on this forum act, it speaks to how our society has become increasingly vulgar and egocentric. I do think that this issue of school safety is an important one and that it demands attention, but I would rather have someone who is articulate and who is polite as the helm of the movement then someone who is brash, arrogant, and profane.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »

Highly doubt it.

Side note - I find it sad that the youth, those supposed to be most questioning of authority, are leading the charge to have the rights of their fellow citizens limited by the same corrupt government that supposedly "failed" them.

nope, you don't get to play this game. They are absolutely questioning the moral authority of *this* government, which is not the one who would enact any kind of meaningful gun control. You don't get to pretend that you are the victim here- gun rights have been a sacred cow in federal politics for as long as I've been alive.

Firstly - I'm not sure how long you've been alive because over the past 30 years, the Federal Government has consistently engaged in efforts to curtail gun rights such as with the Brady Handgun law with its unconstitutional background check requirements (that were later thrown out in court) and the 1994 "Assault Weapons" ban. I suppose you could argue that the courts have always heralded gun rights as a sacred cow, but certainly not the executive and legislative branches.

Secondly, I'm not claiming to be a victim; I simply believe in personal responsibility and don't think all of society should have certain rights stripped away because of a few bad people.

Nobody says everybody should. People between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one aren’t all of society.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 07:05:58 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2018, 07:15:40 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Highly doubt it.

Side note - I find it sad that the youth, those supposed to be most questioning of authority, are leading the charge to have the rights of their fellow citizens limited by the same corrupt government that supposedly "failed" them.

That's nice.
Make this entire great movement sound like the kids are the bad guys.
What a shallow, heartless, NRA crony you must be.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »

... That argument also applies to murders. You don't actually stop anything by taking away guns, you just take away one way they can actually commit them. It doesn't stop someone who plans to kill lots of people from making home made bombs, running down pedestrians with a car, etc. Or if someone plans to kill just one person, they can simply use other weapons like a knife, or poisoning them, suffocating them, drowning them, the list goes on.

What extreme nonsense.
I especially liked how you made that laughable disclaimer, where you say "if someone plans to kill just one person." It makes your entire argument null and void of any reality with the ACTUAL and current issue at hand.
LOL.
Please.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »

I actually think that the March for Our lIves is going to be bigger than the Women's march. I read somewhere that over 600 marches are planned for around the world.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »

Highly doubt it.

nope, you don't get to play this game. They are absolutely questioning the moral authority of *this* government, which is not the one who would enact any kind of meaningful gun control. You don't get to pretend that you are the victim here- gun rights have been a sacred cow in federal politics for as long as I've been alive.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2018, 05:16:58 PM by PittsburghSteel »

MFOL was definitely bigger.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 06:19:57 PM »

Does anyone know if the figures surpassed Occupy Wall Street?
kyc0705

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »

Early estimates put cumulative attendance at around 1 million, which would make it the third largest protest in US history, after the two Women’s Marches.
kyc0705

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »

Early estimates put cumulative attendance at around 1 million, which would make it the third largest protest in US history, after the two Women’s Marches.

Update: Apparently they're saying 2 million now, which would make it the second largest protest in US history, behind the 2017 Women's March.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies