Fremont wins in 1856 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:57:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fremont wins in 1856 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fremont wins in 1856  (Read 2705 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: September 16, 2005, 07:19:35 PM »

Say John Fremont lands an upset victory against James Buchanan in the 1856 election. How would history have panned out? Could the U.S. have averted the Civil War? Or would it have started even earlier than it did?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »

Bump. It would be interesting to see more opinions.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 05:26:41 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 05:30:58 PM by Michael Z »

First, in order to make a reasonable counterfactual, tell us how Fremont won.  Just saying "what if he won" doesn't cut it.

Oh come on, you make it sound like there's a universal law in this forum where we absolutely have to point out how someone would win an election in such a scenario. I mean, what about Tweed's "What if Communist William Foster had won the Presidency in 1932?"-thread? Or the countless other threads which are vague about their electoral outcomes and just say "What if..."? Do they have to give detailed explanations as well?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 06:58:04 PM by Michael Z »

First, in order to make a reasonable counterfactual, tell us how Fremont won.  Just saying "what if he won" doesn't cut it.

Oh come on, you make it sound like there's a universal law in this forum where we absolutely have to point out how someone would win an election in such a scenario. I mean, what about Tweed's "What if Communist William Foster had won the Presidency in 1932?"-thread? Or the countless other threads which are vague about their electoral outcomes and just say "What if..."? Do they have to give detailed explanations as well?
Well I generally ignore most of those....

One can't just make a timeline and say "right here, history completely changed in the blink of a second," which is the effect of stating a major change in an election without providing the context in which that happened. 

Says who? These discussions are not necessarily about discussing the circumstances in which someone is elected, but about the consequences of such a scenario. I don't know about you, but I think it can be fun to ponder, just for one second, what would have happened had, for instance, Geraldine Ferraro become President thanks to some great big cosmic accident. I think it's fair to say that we should be allowed to have these hypothetical discussions without the Realism Police coming along and ruining it for everyone concerned.

In other words (and I'm sorry to be rude here), if you don't like it, sod off and create your own bloody thread.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies