Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Rules, Sign-up, and OOC thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:43:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Rules, Sign-up, and OOC thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 48
Author Topic: Post-Obama - A Different 2012 (Rules, Sign-up, and OOC thread)  (Read 76806 times)
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »

I believe NOTTYLER was responding to Terp's criticism about how 2012 wouldn't be the right year for Trump, not directed at you Transit.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »

I believe NOTTYLER was responding to Terp's criticism about how 2012 wouldn't be the right year for Trump, not directed at you Transit.

Ah, ok.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 09:58:58 PM »

February 17, 2011, Washington D.C

I know what you are thinking, with President Obama's approval rating tumbling, why am I running?
I'm running because Republicans have set out to make President Obama a one-term President, and they succeeded. I'm running to defend his legacy, to protect the American worker, the average American's rights, and I'll protect every American's rights, wherever I can.

OOC: Could we get a list of the additional Senate seats picked up by the Republicans, plus all additional House seats that Republicans have gained (and who's occupying them), and additional Gubernatorial gains made by Republicans in 2010?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:45 PM »

NewYorkExpress's request on the House, Senate, and Gubernatorial Pickups additional to OTL would be amazing
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

February 17, 2011, Washington D.C

I know what you are thinking, with President Obama's approval rating tumbling, why am I running?
I'm running because Republicans have set out to make President Obama a one-term President, and they succeeded. I'm running to defend his legacy, to protect the American worker, the average American's rights, and I'll protect every American's rights, wherever I can.

OOC: Could we get a list of the additional Senate seats picked up by the Republicans, plus all additional House seats that Republicans have gained (and who's occupying them), and additional Gubernatorial gains made by Republicans in 2010?
NewYorkExpress's request on the House, Senate, and Gubernatorial Pickups additional to OTL would be amazing

Yep, I'll type them up.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:07 PM »

2010 election summary

House of Representatives

Republicans - 265 (+23 from OTL)
Democrats - 170 (-23 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: AZ-7, AZ-8, CA-11, CA-20, CO-7, CT-4, CT-5, GA-2, HI-1, IN-2, KY-6, ME-1, MA-10, MI-9, NM-1, NY-1, NY-23, NC-7, NC-8, OR-5, PA-12, VA-11, WA-2

Senate

Republicans - 54 (+7 from OTL)
Democrats (including Democratic-caucusing Independents) - 46 (-7 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, Washington, West Virginia

All OTL Republican challengers elected, most on the merit of a bigger Republican landslide, but also some ran better campaigns, e.g. Carly Fiorina not running the "demon sheep" advertisement.

Governorships

Republicans - 40 (+8 from OTL)
Democrats - 16 (-8 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Oregon, Vermont

Again, all OTL Republican challengers (or incumbents) elected, just some rode the Republican wave and others had better campaigns.

Essentially, 2014 but in 2010.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »

Mike Huckabee confirms run for President in 2012: "I'm running to protect the people on main street"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would imagine either Romney or Palin would be leading in early polls, actually...

2010 election summary

House of Representatives

Republicans - 265 (+23 from OTL)
Democrats - 170 (-23 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: AZ-7, AZ-8, CA-11, CA-20, CO-7, CT-4, CT-5, GA-2, HI-1, IN-2, KY-6, ME-1, MA-10, MI-9, NM-1, NY-1, NY-23, NC-7, NC-8, OR-5, PA-12, VA-11, WA-2

Senate

Republicans - 54 (+7 from OTL)
Democrats (including Democratic-caucusing Independents) - 46 (-7 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, Washington, West Virginia

All OTL Republican challengers elected, most on the merit of a bigger Republican landslide, but also some ran better campaigns, e.g. Carly Fiorina not running the "demon sheep" advertisement.

Governorships

Republicans - 40 (+8 from OTL)
Democrats - 16 (-8 from OTL)

Seat changes from OTL:

Flipped to Republican: Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Oregon, Vermont

Again, all OTL Republican challengers (or incumbents) elected, just some rode the Republican wave and others had better campaigns.

Essentially, 2014 but in 2010.

Did you really just elect Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell to the Senate, or did Mike Castle actually win that primary?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:13 PM »

Did you really just elect Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell to the Senate, or did Mike Castle actually win that primary?

Bingo.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »

Mike Huckabee confirms run for President in 2012: "I'm running to protect the people on main street"

I would imagine either Romney or Palin would be leading in early polls, actually...
Huckabee won the hypothetical early polls IRL and was the perceived frontrunner until he decided not to run.

And I'd point out that if people actually thought Palin was running, she'd be leading in polls.

Also, Romney was always the frontrunner, no matter who was leading in the polls (at least until he fought Santorum to a draw in Iowa).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 11:50:04 PM »

First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Presidential Run

Harlam, New York

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »

Just to confirm, HCP, you're entering as Michelle Obama? If so, granted and welcome!
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »

Just to confirm, HCP, you're entering as Michelle Obama? If so, granted and welcome!

Yes, I am.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 12:36:19 AM »

When we get a few more Republicans (1-2+), I'll open the game. I expect the game to start on Friday night, with the turn lasting until Monday night.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 01:33:58 AM »

First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Presidential Run

Harlam, New York

I hate to say this, but Michelle Obama has never had any personal interest in politics...otherwise I'm sure she'd be running against Rauner in 2018 IRL.

Also, Biden's already got the "Defending the Obama legacy" aspect down.

Also, would it really be fair for the sitting President to already be endorsing a candidate (his own wife) at the start of the primary season?
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 09:39:52 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2018, 06:37:18 PM by New Tennessean Politician »

"Hello. Hello. Thank you for the support.

Now I want to have an honest discussion. 4 years ago, President Obama was elected but only barely. Since then, the Republicans have refused to work with him and instead they focus on making Obama a one term president. Well, they've successfully done it. The President will not one for Another term. Now, I already know that we have plenty of other candidates but I would like to offer to you a different kind of Democrat. I pledge to run on the Blue Dog platform for America and the Democratic Party. It's time for a Democratic Party with bi-partisan legislature passed and a Government where the best intentions are always worked on. No more party lines. I hope to see all of you on the Campaign trail!"
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »

I hate to say this, but Michelle Obama has never had any personal interest in politics...otherwise I'm sure she'd be running against Rauner in 2018 IRL.

Also, Biden's already got the "Defending the Obama legacy" aspect down.

Also, would it really be fair for the sitting President to already be endorsing a candidate (his own wife) at the start of the primary season?

I'm not letting President Obama make an endorsement until after the Democratic National Convention is over.

I'm accepting his candidate as Michelle, is, in effect, a politician, and has been the center of some (albeit muted) speculation about a run. She's has just as much (if not more) than Adam Carolla. This was my reasoning.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »

Lol at Michelle running and her Husband can't endorse.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »

Lol at Michelle running and her Husband can't endorse.

Her husband is the President of the United States, and per custom, typically endorses the nominee.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2018, 12:46:24 PM »

I'm running as Christie.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2018, 12:46:52 PM »

Granted, welcome!
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »

I'll be opening the 72-hour turn tonight, which will end on Sunday night. Make sure to have your announcement speeches up ASAP (it is one of many factors that may determine your opening position in the polls)!
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »

I'll be Jim DeMint (announcement speech will come later)

Welcome!
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2018, 04:02:47 PM »

*enters stage waving*
[cheers]

Good evening Livingston!

*Adjusts mic*

Why I am here is simple. I'm not here to give you platitudes and cliches to get elected. I am a straight talker. I don't treat you like dummies, you aren't dummies.

[awkward pause]
*Sip of water*
[pity applause]

Fact is, America needs change. Putting me in the white house is exactly the way to achieve that!

[cheers]

I am the only candidate who can let the free market flourish again. Obama's far left policies have driven this country into the ground with his failed regulations. I can tell you, under a Christie presidency we will remove most of Obama's regulations. My presidency will be one that welcomes prosperity, not shuns it.

[very loud applause]
*Another sip*

I will not turn a blind eye to the poor, unlike Obama. We all know that his high taxes hurt the poor the most. That's why under a Christie presidency, we will cut taxes on the poor and middle class.

[applause]
[audience chant: LOWER TAXES! LOWER TAXES!]

See! This is what everyone but the Democratic Washington establishment realises! Lower taxes are the only way to revive the American dream!

[extreme cheers]
*sip*

Here's a scenario to think about. How would life be if your home was unfenced? Terrible right?

[confused nodding]

Well thats the situation on our border! Completely open. Immigration is way too high! Its a drain on jobs. When I win, my first move will be to double funding for the guys at the border so they can do their job unlike with open borders Obama.

[cheers]
*thorough sip*
[Heckler: Christie OUT]
[boos]
*smirk*

We will see who's going!!

[security guards remove heckler]

The Democrats, supported by the Liberal mainstream media has been perpetuating a false narrative that Conservatives don't care about the poor. I can tell you now, cutting taxes is what helps the poor the most! A Christie presidency would be very good for the poor, more jobs, less taxes. Within my first 100 days in office, I will make sure that a comprehensive apprenticeship program will be signed into law. This is what we need to help get our young out of poverty, and into the world of business.

[cheers]

If there's one running theme for my campaign, its that a Christie presidency will be a great opportunity for us to revive the American dream using the God given free market! What I offer is the conservative solution to society's ills!

[people stand]
[loud cheers]
[audience chant: Christie! Christie!]

Thank you, God bless America, good night!

[more cheers]
*rest of water is drunken*
*leaves stage while waving*
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2018, 05:08:48 PM »