HOUSE BILL: Amendment to the Return Education... (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:17:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Amendment to the Return Education... (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Amendment to the Return Education... (Passed)  (Read 2992 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 12:32:54 AM »

Ugh okay hang on.

Just to clarify, these years specify what the school has to OFFER, yes? Not what they have to mandate? I need to know for the Fremont bill I'm drafting. Mandatory 4 years foreign language seems excessive (especially considering that for some languages, fourth year = AP level)

First, we've already started the final vote, so we can't stop. Wink

Second, it is what all students have to take at some point in their schooling. Unless specified, this does not have to mean high school. For example, here in Texas, students can start formal foreign language classes as early as fifth grade (if I remember correctly), and added four years to that would be ninth grade, so the student would not have to take classes beyond that. Students don't have to take it to AP level (though it would be recommended), and they don't have to take it exclusively in high school either. It depends the way the region wants to structure their curriculum, as the grade ranges in the bill refer from a K-12 range of grades, not a 9-12 range of grades.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 01:16:37 AM »

Ugh I'd prefer 3 years but whatever.

I guess I oppose this now.

Pls veto fhtagn, I want my Regions' Rights back.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 01:23:51 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 01:34:43 AM by Deputy Speaker wxtransit »

Ugh I'd prefer 3 years but whatever.

I guess I oppose this now.

Pls veto fhtagn, I want my Regions' Rights back.

The rights of the regions are fully protected here. This is to ensure a national standard (which some regions have not yet met, and to ensure students get the same quality of schooling across the nation. This shouldn't be made into a politicized issue. If you re-read the amendment, you'll see the requirements are extremely modular and put the regions in full control of their curriculum. The standards are not applied to any school year. I mean, technically, a region could even have their students take all four years of language starting at Pre-K. And why shouldn't we encourage students to think beyond English and study a new language for four years to enrich the learning of the language? Three years is too little; students only really start to get a grasp of the language after learning key components introduced that take four years to teach (tenses, conjugations, etc.), and cramming it into a minimum of three would not just be detrimental for the teachers, but also for the students' learning.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 01:27:29 AM »

I did. I just was planning for mandatory 3 years in middle + high, and none in elementary school.

Wait, can I mandate a middle school Latin class to fulfill the requirement?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2018, 01:35:22 AM »

I did. I just was planning for mandatory 3 years in middle + high, and none in elementary school.

Sure, but that's for the regions to decide. We couldn't amend that at the federal level.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 01:41:47 AM »

Yeah I just noticed this now. 4 grades of foreign language is excessive IMO (not everyone needs to be committed to learn one, although the same could be said about almost anything, and the benefits are obvious, the teaching supply for foreign languages IRL is not ideal) I'd ensure as well as a year of a bullsh**t career course (though I knew what I wanted to do since 1st grade so I may be biased in that regard). The rest of the bill seems fine.  
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »

Sure, but that's for the regions to decide. We couldn't amend that at the federal level.

I'm treating this from a regional perspective for now; working on the Fremont bill.

I think one year career course is fine. A little bit less essential now that CS is its own thing, but I think it can stay. My big problem is the four years language.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2018, 02:02:27 AM »

I'm treating this from a regional perspective for now; working on the Fremont bill.

I think one year career course is fine. A little bit less essential now that CS is its own thing, but I think it can stay. My big problem is the four years language.

Ah, ok.

Additionally, four years of language is necessary to set a foundation for greater language learning in the future and language development. By year three, students begin to enter more complicated concepts yet have not started to get a grasp on B1-ish level control of the language (from what I've seen). By year four; however, students have got a solid base of the language by learning many new tenses and conjugations that were not covered in year three and earlier. Having four years is to ensure that all students get the foundation they need before moving on to something else.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2018, 02:51:09 AM »

This is why the original Return Education to the Regions bill had so few requirements curriculum wise. The very fact that representatives from the Fremont Region (historically one most struggling with activity) is taking issue with the fact that we are micromanaging their curriculum with this bill should illustrate something at least to all those voices that used to say "we have to do this, because the regions are too inactive" (self-fullfilling prophesy right there).

Anyway time has expired.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:47 AM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Amendment to the Return Education to the Regions Act:

Aye (5): PoliticalMasta, ReaganClinton20xx, Rfayette, Wxtransit and Weatherboy1102
Nay (1): NC Yankee
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (3): Oakvale, Peebs, and TheGovanahJake

The bill has passed the House and is sent to the VP/PPT for Senate action.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 02:59:35 AM »

Wait technically fhtagn could just choose not to withhold funding if we only flout one small part of the requirements, right?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2018, 03:16:59 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

People's House of Representatives
Passed 5-1 in the Atlasian House Assembled,

[/quote]
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »

sh**t.
Aye, ftr
Pages: 1 2 [3]