South Africa's new president wants to redistribute land from white farmers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:57:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  South Africa's new president wants to redistribute land from white farmers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Africa's new president wants to redistribute land from white farmers  (Read 4063 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« on: February 27, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

Come on people, if we have learnt one thing about South Africa in recent months, it is that it is a functioning democracy with strong institutions and the rule of law. That is why Zuma isn't president any more for a start. I am tempted to call this horse dung because of what we know about Ramaphosa and because of what the non-insane SA press has been reporting about his arrival in power.

SA isn't Zim and isn't going to become Zim, end of story (and land distribution is an issue, like it or not, because of how grotesquely unequal the country is, especially given the failure of "willing buyer, willing seller")

I'm sure a lot of them would, but it's not like all of DA's white vote is hardcore Calvinists and white nationalists. I don't really see them having a lot of lefties, but VVD/D66 could do ok with them, no?
Not sure about D66, but CDA and VVD could also do well with Afrikaners, sure. Who really knows, though.

You could talk about a small historical solidarity tax of some sort, but not simply confiscating their land. This will only lead to mass emigration and to a worse agricultural situation.
Who cares if the economy goes to sh**t when devil whitey is gone?
It is really hard to predict how Afrikaners would vote in the Netherlands, as the reasons they vote DA are just simply not replicable in Holland. There are plenty of otherwise liberal, progressive Saffers who vote DA and who happily have a viewpoint on their home country that seems completely at odds with the way they view just about every other issue (and SA is still intensely racist, like, spend a week there and you will hear racism that would be completely out of order in Europe).

And calling them Dutch probably wouldn't go down well anyway...

Plenty of South Africans in the UK are British citizens and can vote, but I have no idea how they do (take a guess based on Putney and Wimbledon?), and they tend to be more urban and liberal than the Afrikaners anyway
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »

In rhetorical terms, the ANC wants to "kill the boer, kill the farmer". In practice, the ANC is filled with corrupt Afrikaners from the National Party and is on friendly terms with powerful Afrikaners.

And is therefore significantly more likely in practice support gunning down striking platinum miners (to pick an entirely hypothetical example) than that, yes.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The sad part is that this is a much better deal than what the DA has on offer: i.e. water shortages in major metropolitan areas.

This, I mean, I've ranted about this before, but the DA has some quite spectacularly unpleasant people and it makes a lot of sense that your average black South African has absolutely no inclination to vote for them
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2018, 06:18:29 PM by parochial boy »

so in this thread I learn that

1. Whites are all persecuted about to get murdered by uncivilized blacks

2. Whites are all rich urbanites but they have farms where they oppress black people

somehow I don't think either of these are quite right.
There are about 4.5m white South Africans. The number of "white farmers" is probably (no accurate statistics remember) in the tens of thousands, but they own 70% of land - including the most productive land as black landowners tend to be concentrated in the former homelands, which were located where they were because, well, they weren't so attractive.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »

Exactly, it's not like the poor blacks living in urban Johannesburg are suddenly going to decide to move to the countryside en masse and become small farmers. If South Africa wants to become a modern developed society then its future is not in farming.

Only a bear majority of black South Africans live in urban areas, probably over 40% are rural, often either farm workers or subsistence farmers in the former homelands. So land distribution is an issue for a lot of people, especially seeing as conditions in the country side are a major driver of immigration to the cities and have contributed to some of the issues contemporary urban South Africa is facing (not just the Cape Town water crisis, but also the proliferation of shack settlement which, needless to say, both ANC and the DA municipal governments have a terrible record on).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies