L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018  (Read 3101 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: March 02, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »

What is considered "mental issues", and how will it be determined that someone has had a history of them?
I would assume that this would refer to mental health disorders that can receive medical diagnosis, as well as any recorded instances of attempting suicide and whatnot. Medical and police records could be used to determine them.

But which mental health disorders specifically, and what is the reasoning for that disorder over others that may not be included? How is it determined that someone is unfit to own a firearm because of mental health reasons if say, they have not attempted suicide? Or if they have, what is to say that their reason for attempting had happened many years prior was for reasons such as their reaction to losing a loved one, but have since learned from that mistake? Is there a particular time limit set or criteria for determining this? What about instances where someone chooses not to seek mental health treatment they may actually need in fear of their personal medical information being disclosed without their consent?  Who will do the reporting and how will it be recorded and updated? How will much will the funding required for a such a program cost (for this and the licenses), and how will that money be raised to ensure it is funded?

I personally would support each prospective gun owner having to getting a letter from a psychologist stating they are in good mental health before purchasing or receiving a weapon. As for cost I personally believe it should be paid by the person wanting to buy the gun.

But how much will it cost and how is that cost determined?

Depends on how much the psychologist charges. As that cost is paid privately I don't see how knowing an exact cost is relevant here.  

I didn't realize we were in the business of charging admission to certain sections of the Bill of Rights found in Article 1, of The Fourth Constitution. Should we take so little concern if say people's right to freedom of religion was made too costly for the poor to afford? Freedom of Speech?

Also I would note this indirectly makes the federal gov't pay for this provision, considering we subsidize mental health care.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »

Would medicaid eligible persons have their costs covered? Otherwise its effectively a regressive poll tax on a right.

Well final details on what is covered by say Atlascare would be determined by its governing agency, but mental health generally is most certainly covered.

This would most certainly inflate the cost of mental health care because you would have a surge of new patients against a static number of professionals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies