Is Blanco walking dead?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:26:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Blanco walking dead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Blanco walking dead?  (Read 3556 times)
Burn baby, Burn
pellaken
Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: -1.08

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2005, 07:23:49 PM »

after the hurricane, it seems that the media agrees that Bush, Blanco, and Nagan are all responsible. I argue that all three will be defeated, anyone agree/disagree with my assessment?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »

Bush won't be defeated, he won't run again.

Blanco may have a fighting chance.

Nagin is most likely toast.

That's just my read on it, not based on anything, just an opinion.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

Bush will never be defeated - he can't run again. What now happens with New Orleans city politics nobody can guess - all depends on who comes back, how is the reconstruction going, etc. Nagin's fate is an imponderable. Blanco will have hard time irrespective of anything: if a fairly large part of the NO population does not come back any statewide Democrat is in trouble.  Still, it is too early to make any guesses here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 07:43:27 PM »

Does anyone really care whether Nagin is defeated?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:44:44 PM »

Yes, I like to see good people in government; Nagin isn't one of them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 07:47:17 PM »

Yes.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 07:53:23 PM »

Nagin just moved to Dallas. He's done in Louisiana.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 01:43:08 AM »

after the hurricane, it seems that the media agrees that Bush, Blanco, and Nagan are all responsible. I argue that all three will be defeated, anyone agree/disagree with my assessment?

I understand people's issues with Bush and perhaps Nagin as well but what specifically did Governor Blanco do to arise the wrath of the voters? Are people just going to blame whoever's in charge? Its not like Blanco controlled millions of dollars in levee funds and hurricane planning.

Or is the issue that New Orleans was her major base of support and with its population dispersed, she's lost her base?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 01:52:06 AM »

"Pym," you're an ignorant asshole. Blanco controls the Louisiana National Guard and they are supposed to be the first and primary military respondents. Bush could have gone over her head by invoking the Insurrection Act, but then Congress would go crazy.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 01:04:53 PM »

She shouldn't have been elected in 2003 and she won't be re-elected in 2007 (especially if the Republicans nominate a white candidate).
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 02:02:39 PM »

"Pym," you're an ignorant asshole. Blanco controls the Louisiana National Guard and they are supposed to be the first and primary military respondents. Bush could have gone over her head by invoking the Insurrection Act, but then Congress would go crazy.

What is the point of this insult?  Whether Pym was factually wrong or not, he's post was polite, didn't attack anyone, and certainly didn't merit an ad hominem attack.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 02:25:06 PM »

What about the mayor of Biloxi, MS, who didn't have any evacuation, and 250 people died? Oh, wait, he's a Republican, so it's OK.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »

Whether or not she deserves it, without New Orleans, Democrats don't have a fighting chance of winning state office.  Landrieu will probably lose if she runs for reelection.  So will Blanco. Meanwhile, the logistics of holding mayoral elections in New Orleans are unimaginable.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 05:44:11 AM »

Whether or not she deserves it, without New Orleans, Democrats don't have a fighting chance of winning state office.  Landrieu will probably lose if she runs for reelection.  So will Blanco. Meanwhile, the logistics of holding mayoral elections in New Orleans are unimaginable.

Its important to remember that Blanco and Landrieu did poorly in New Orleans back in both 02 and 03, in 02 Landrieu faced a Republican who was based in New Orleans and who's campaign was very sucessful in supressing the black vote and in 03 Blanco was opposed by Jindal who togehter with Nagin's support did well in apealing to black voters indeed Blacon largly got by thanks the the votes of the "good old boys" up-state while Landrieu would have lost had she not expanded her vote by signifcant margins amougst white voters in the December runoff contest in 2002.

Of the two Landrieu has by far the better shot, as she's come of Katrina better than anyone else, however your right to argue that New Orleans is going to take some time to get back on its feet and that will hurt Democrats statewide.   
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2005, 08:46:20 AM by Senator Al »

Are you all sure that less people in the New Orleans area would hurt Blanco? Jefferson Parish took a hell of a hit for one thing...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »
« Edited: September 16, 2005, 12:32:11 PM by J. J. »

What about the mayor of Biloxi, MS, who didn't have any evacuation, and 250 people died? Oh, wait, he's a Republican, so it's OK.

No, but did he have the resources, like Nagin did?  Were the people that didn't evecauate have ability to use those resources and did they have will to use them.

I'm not blaming Nagin for not getting the 80,000+ that chose to stay on the 29th, nor would I blame the Mayor of Biloxi for not getting people out who refused to leave.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 07:50:52 PM »

No, but did he have the resources, like Nagin did?  Were the people that didn't evecauate have ability to use those resources and did they have will to use them.

I'm not blaming Nagin for not getting the 80,000+ that chose to stay on the 29th, nor would I blame the Mayor of Biloxi for not getting people out who refused to leave.

The Biloxi mayor never ordered an evacuation. You can trash Nagin all you want, but he ordered a mandatory evacuation. This isn't a question of what resources Biloxi had, he never even tried.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 08:04:13 PM »

Nagin will not run, Blanco will not win if she even does run simply because I doubt that either of the three officials will come out of this electable to any office. Remember that she only defeated a Republican by four points even after pulling out every trick in the book. It's doubtful she could defeat even a mediocre Republican in 2007.
A-Max
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 11:32:11 PM »

Landrieu should be toast as well.  For all her blaming of Bush, it is interesting that she was unable to mobilize a single bus to evacuate her constituents in the 48 hours priopr to the hurricane, though when she needed their votes, she was able to assemble a hundred or more in less than 14 hours.   I guess it's all about the motivation.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 11:44:37 PM »

The Biloxi mayor never ordered an evacuation. You can trash Nagin all you want, but he ordered a mandatory evacuation. This isn't a question of what resources Biloxi had, he never even tried.

He ordered a "mandatory evacuation" that he neither could enforce nor had any intention of enforcing.  He had the resources to offer transportation out during the voluntary evacuation phase.  This was Ray Nagin saying "Get out, ah, you people without cars,  you're all on your own."

JFRAUD why do support the policies of someone that had effect of killing and injuring mostly poor and mostly Black people.

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 11:49:35 PM »

Nice to see all the lovely finger pointing still going strong. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 11:51:49 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2005, 01:57:13 AM by J. J. »

Landrieu should be toast as well.  For all her blaming of Bush, it is interesting that she was unable to mobilize a single bus to evacuate her constituents in the 48 hours priopr to the hurricane, though when she needed their votes, she was able to assemble a hundred or more in less than 14 hours.   I guess it's all about the motivation.

I can't fault Landrieu; US Senators don't have bus fleets.  I can't blame Blanco; LA did not have a fleet of buses sitting in NOLA.  I can't blame Bush or Brown; the federal government did not have a bus fleet sitting in NOLA.  Nagin did have a bus fleet sitting (and now rusting) in NOLA; the city had an evacuation plan to use them.  Nagin did not use them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 11:53:32 PM »

Nice to see all the lovely finger pointing still going strong. Tongue

I'm just overjoyed Nagin isn't the Mayor of Philadelphia.  I'd kinda like to see most of the people in my neighborhood survive a disaster like Katrina.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2005, 12:43:45 AM »

Short answer to the title question, no.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »

Hahaha, yeah it must be her fault, since a lowly ranking Senator in the minority party has all of the power when it comes to the federal response.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies