Day 21: Massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Day 21: Massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day 21: Massachusetts  (Read 2479 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »

Aaargh, I'm using an Apple right now, so I can't post the picture.  Anyone else who is kind enough to, I would greatly appreciate it.  Anyways, it's been called the "most liberal state in the union". Agree or disagree?
 It want quite heavily for Gore in 2000 (with 59%) and as John Kerry's home state, it was the only state to break 60% for him.  It's a very stong Dem state, and Reagan was the only one who was able to break it in the last 30 years.  (Holding a landslide) will it go Republican 8 years from now? 20? 40? 100?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »

massachusetts is a pretty interesting state to study. 

two interesting points:

1. romney won middlesex county in 02, even a more moderate paul celluci coudnt accomplish that.

2.  the rural berkshires are trending pretty hard to the left (similar to vermont)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

To say the least.

Admittedly, I do live in a college town...but I do have a good amount of contact with 'townies' from time to time--and they are extremely Democratic and liberal.  And this isn't just because of immigration from Boston or New York, either.  I'd say it's more likely for a Republican to be a new arrival to the area than a Democrat.  So the argument often made for Vermont (which, despite what the Northeast Kingdom's voting patterns suggest relative to the rest of the state, is not actually the case, I realize now) doesn't work either there or here in the Berkshires.

It's really quite weird when you think about it...because everywhere else in the country, rural areas are almost by definition Republican (with certain noted exceptions).  Go just five miles west from where I am, and you're in New York and rather solid Republican territory (Rensselaer Co. went for Kerry by all of 1.8%, solely because of Troy).

It's a combination of a lot of factors, many of which I probably could neither name nor explain--but religion is helping the Democrats, not the Republicans, around these parts.  It's gotten to the point where I am actively considering switching churches because four out of five sermons at my church are politically based (and guess who they're not-so-cleverly concealing their disdain for).  And I'm no rabid member of the Religious Right, as those of you who have paid attention well know...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 05:01:36 PM »

A reaction to the mill closures maybe?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:06:29 PM »

It's interesting compared to the 1976 map.  I think it really shows the shift from economic to social issues.

FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 09:13:27 PM »

Massachusetts is a corrupt and lawless place where married gay couples lynch heterosexuals, abortions are available at every street corner, and everyone has wild, orgasmic sex in the middle of the street.  Or so the Republicans say.

It will be a long, long time before Massachusetts votes Republican for president.  Even Mitt Romney would lose his own home state.  He'd go nowhere in the primaries - moderates would see him as an ineffective governor (since he doesn't talk about how great he's been, as that would require praising the state, which would require admitting that the party has been lying) while conservatives wouldn't trust ANYONE from Massachusetts and would prefer a more genuine right-winger like Pawlenty, Allen, Hagel, etc.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 09:18:41 PM »

Massachusetts is a corrupt and lawless place where married gay couples lynch heterosexuals, abortions are available at every street corner, and everyone has wild, orgasmic sex in the middle of the street. 

I think opebo can be happy here and not have to leave the states for Thailand.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »

massachusetts is far from lawless.  it is quite authoritarian actually.  the state legislature just passed a law making it a crime to do a half-ass job of clearing your car of snow and ice before driving.

republicans are still relatively competitive in the cape.  elsewhere in the bay state is almost impossible for a republican to win a local or state legislature race.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 10:42:17 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2005, 10:44:31 PM by nclib »

It want quite heavily for Gore in 2000 (with 59%) and as John Kerry's home state, it was the only state to break 60% for him.

The surprising thing is that once Nader's votes are taken into account, Gore did better in Mass. than Kerry, even compared to the national average.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 01:15:31 AM »

massachusetts is far from lawless.  it is quite authoritarian actually.  the state legislature just passed a law making it a crime to do a half-ass job of clearing your car of snow and ice before driving.

My college had to pay $25.00 to the state to get a license to become a "Frozen Dessert Manufacturer."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 02:38:28 PM »

Massachusetts isn't going anywhere Smiley any time soon

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 02:41:50 PM »

The MA legislature indirectly approved of gay marriage. There was a vote on getting rid of it that was a landslide against. Of course, California's legislature is the only state legislature to actually pass gay marriage.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »

The MA legislature indirectly approved of gay marriage. There was a vote on getting rid of it that was a landslide against. Of course, California's legislature is the only state legislature to actually pass gay marriage.

It was only a landslide because the anti-gay marraige and civil unions legislators ditched the civil unions amendment that was up for a vote.  They prefer an amendment banning both that is currently gathering signatures and would only need 50 votes in the legislature in two consecutive sessions to make the 2008 ballot.  They have 55 legislators who will get the amendment to ballot, where it will probably be defeated. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 06:31:35 PM »

the mass legislature also overwhelmingly overode romney's veto of the mornaing after pill veto.  the vote was 35-0 in the state senate.  i think 6 people in the state house voted with romney.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 09:34:21 PM »

the mass legislature also overwhelmingly overode romney's veto of the mornaing after pill veto.  the vote was 35-0 in the state senate.  i think 6 people in the state house voted with romney.

Romney is a figurehead that the MA voters elected so that they wouldn't feel like they were a one party state.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »

Massachusetts is too liberal.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 03:46:07 PM »

Massachusetts is a corrupt and lawless place where married gay couples lynch heterosexuals, abortions are available at every street corner, and everyone has wild, orgasmic sex in the middle of the street. 

I think opebo can be happy here and not have to leave the states for Thailand.
No, Massachusetts women are too fat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies