Texas Primaries Megathread - DCCC attacking TX-07 Dem Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 08:41:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Primaries Megathread - DCCC attacking TX-07 Dem Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Texas Primaries Megathread - DCCC attacking TX-07 Dem Candidate  (Read 9921 times)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »

I'm confused.  What's bad about running veterans and woman for Congress?  The "run like a girl" thing sounds like a red pill meme.

There's a surprising amount of vitriol towards female candidates on this forum, probably a lot of it being from residual hate towards Hillary Clinton, which makes no sense to me, but what can you do about people like that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »

I hate that the DCCC and the Intercept have turned this into a huge cat fight between the two female candidates in the race out of a field of 5 or 6, with mud being flung at both. I'd be satisfied with any of them but Triantaphyllis, the party hack in the race.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »

Are the maroon avatars defending the candidate who admitted she hates Texas?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2018, 12:03:20 AM »

Are the maroon avatars defending the candidate who admitted she hates Texas?

To be fair, she did say "Paris, Texas" in her original quote, not Texas in general:

"On my pathetic writer’s salary, I could live large in Paris, Texas, where my grandparents’ plantation-style house recently sold for $129,000. Oh, but wait — my income would be a fraction of what it is here and I’d have very few opportunities to increase it. (Plus I’d sooner have my teeth pulled out without anesthesia, but that’s a story for another day.)" (source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/23/17043994/dccc-laura-moser-texas-opposition-memo)

It's unfortunate that this primary race has become so controversial. Alex Triantaphyllis is the DCCC's favored candidate, right? He seems fine, has been raising more money than any of the others in this clown car primary, and probably would have quietly won this primary without any commotion had the DCCC not highlighted this race and made it national news (which Republicans have now latched onto).
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »

Just nominate Westin so we can all go home god
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »

I'm confused.  What's bad about running veterans and woman for Congress?  The "run like a girl" thing sounds like a red pill meme.

There's a surprising amount of vitriol towards female candidates on this forum, probably a lot of it being from residual hate towards Hillary Clinton, which makes no sense to me, but what can you do about people like that.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2018, 01:21:20 AM »

The DCCC-backed candidate starter pack:

I Love that Twitter graphic, It sums up everything I believe about the Democratic establishment.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2018, 02:30:28 AM »

Cenk Uygur covered this mess on TYT. He first claimed this election was a special election, said the DCCC promised to stay neutral in primaries (sadly no - Tom Perez said when running for DNC chair he would) and seems to have no clue there's likely going to be a runoff. With that said, Anna Kasparian herself admitted she used her money to a consulting firm, which was a grassroots consulting firm that Bernie Sanders used, but basically turned to whataboutism. Honestly if the DCCC-backed candidates they'd be screaming bloody murder. Either way, I don't think she herself (aside from not liking TX that much) has done something unethical but I don't really like the idea of a resistance hero holding a congressional seat. Regardless, I'm still not a fan of DCCC intervention in general, and I think that was my main point when I started posting in this thread.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 04:58:33 AM »

It's not just this forum. The Intercept and the DCCC have done a good job trashing both women candidates. The Intercept even trashed the "progressive" Moser. I'm furious at both but it's par for course in America's misogynistic political culture.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 06:52:19 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2018, 06:56:04 AM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

I'm confused.  What's bad about running veterans and woman for Congress?  The "run like a girl" thing sounds like a red pill meme.

It's not just this forum. The Intercept and the DCCC have done a good job trashing both women candidates. The Intercept even trashed the "progressive" Moser. I'm furious at both but it's par for course in America's misogynistic political culture.

The Intercept has done great, positive coverage of Jess King's campaign in the PA 16. Zephyr Teachout got a lot of positive attention from progressives last cycle. And say what you want about people that support Tulsi Gabbard, but boy do they support her.

Re: the original post about the graphic - I don't think people object to women and vets running for office. I certainly however object to Seth Moulton's Leadership PAC by another name, and while I recognize that EMILY's List's strategy is a strategy, I'd vastly prefer they endorsed all pro-choice women rather than picking the ones that they believe "will win" based on the same flawed logic (hint: powered by 26yo kids with Ivy+ educations and no real world experience) that DCCC uses.

Edit: just realized that Seth Moulton's project is Serve America PAC, which is something different. What's the problem with VoteVets?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2018, 05:21:52 PM »

Moser is a terrible candidate and rallying around her to "stick it to the establishment" is literally the exact same line of thought that leads one-track minded #resistance hacks to start talking positively from everyone from the Bush family to Steve Bannon who has ever criticized Trump.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2018, 06:12:20 PM »

Moser is a terrible candidate and rallying around her to "stick it to the establishment" is literally the exact same line of thought that leads one-track minded #resistance hacks to start talking positively from everyone from the Bush family to Steve Bannon who has ever criticized Trump.

I don't support her because she's "anti-establishment". She just has good policies.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2018, 06:23:39 PM »

I don't support her because she's "anti-establishment". She just has good policies.

I'll bite, could you please explain using specifics and in detail precisely how her policy views are significantly better than those of Fletcher, Westin, and Alex T.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2018, 08:33:47 PM »

I'll bite, could you please explain using specifics and in detail precisely how her policy views are significantly better than those of Fletcher, Westin, and Alex T.

I think a lot of her support comes from her endorsement of single-payer healthcare, tbh. Aside from Westin (who supports an eventual Medicare for All system after working on the ACA), the others, especially Alex T, are more wishy-washy on the subject (Pannill Fletcher has so far simply advocated for protecting ACA). Also, Alex T supports charter schools while Moser and Fletcher are supportive of public education. Moser has also talked about infrastructure and transportation in a way that has attracted people. I'm not invested in this race that much and wouldn't care if Alex T, Fletcher, or Westin got it, but the dismissal of Moser rubs me the wrong way. She's probably the wrong candidate for an ancestral Republican district, but she seems fine otherwise unless the DCCC really does have some secret dirt on her (more than the Paris, Texas quote).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »

Clearly the type of candidate the Democrats need in districts like this is a carpetbagger shrill journalist stereotypical East Coast liberal who are only competitive because they married some rich guy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »

It's pretty insane that supporting Obamacare has become the "conservative" position in the heads of the alt-left loons.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2018, 09:10:56 PM »

It's pretty insane that supporting Obamacare has become the "conservative" position in the heads of the alt-left loons.

No one is saying that's conservative and going beyond ACA for single-payer isn't alt-left as seen by Senators like Kamala Harris supporting it. I'm pretty sure every Democrat supports protecting ACA, it's just that some support going beyond it and it's increasingly popular and that's why Moser and Westin are usually singled out among those running in this district, imo. It's not bad to only support ACA like Fletcher, I just think some voters are tired of healthcare as it is and raising money for healthcare through crowdsharing so they're looking for candidates like Kamala Harris or Moser or Westin.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2018, 09:56:43 PM »

I do support single payer FYI, but is THIS really the district where it's a winning platform?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »

Moser will win.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »

The individual mandate is a policy taken straight out of Richard Nixon's healthcare reform (in response to a single-payer system) and Heritage Foundation articles.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »

I do support single payer FYI, but is THIS really the district where it's a winning platform?

No, I'm just discussing it and Moser's platform. However, Westin supports it and he seems like a pretty good fit. I still kind of think Alex T will get the nomination, though.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »

One more thing I should have posted last night but didn't. I don't like how Moser opposes the DCCC policy of supporting pro-life candidates (and to be fair Bernie Sanders seems in favor of it), but the DCCC shouldn't hold grudges.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

There goes any shot Moser had of winning
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26