CT-TPA LLC: Generic Republican leads Generic Democrat by 13 points.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  CT-TPA LLC: Generic Republican leads Generic Democrat by 13 points.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CT-TPA LLC: Generic Republican leads Generic Democrat by 13 points.  (Read 2543 times)
choclatechip45
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »

I don’t think that a gubernatorial race in a state that has an astonishingly unpopular Democrat Governor and a history of Republican success in statewide races is even close to a bellwether for the national environment. Remember, Jodi Rell won re-election 63-36 in 2006.

Rell was also able to run on the fact she governed as a moderate. Most of these republican candidates are running on a trump platform.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »

Only Corporate Democrats could lose to Republicans in Connecticut by this margin.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:41 PM »

Dan Drew is a nobody, whereas Republicans have several well-known/well-liked candidates. Gun to my head, Mark Boughton is the next Governor of CT, but the race still isn't fully formed and there has been no good polling.

Bysiewicz or Bronin would probably be the Dems' best bet here (Wyman is old/uninterested, Jepsen is an idiot, and none of the Congressmen/women are leaving their seats anytime soon unless it's to fully retire). Though I could see why Bysiewicz might be a little gun shy after getting trounced by Murphy in 2012. Bronin isn't well-known but has a more compelling narrative/is more likable than Dan Drew.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to see Dems pick up like 6-8 governorships but lose all in New England except Maine...
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »

Only Corporate Democrats could lose to Republicans in Connecticut by this margin.
Suuuuure.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 01:24:45 AM »

Dan Drew is a nobody, whereas Republicans have several well-known/well-liked candidates. Gun to my head, Mark Boughton is the next Governor of CT, but the race still isn't fully formed and there has been no good polling.

Bysiewicz or Bronin would probably be the Dems' best bet here (Wyman is old/uninterested, Jepsen is an idiot, and none of the Congressmen/women are leaving their seats anytime soon unless it's to fully retire). Though I could see why Bysiewicz might be a little gun shy after getting trounced by Murphy in 2012. Bronin isn't well-known but has a more compelling narrative/is more likable than Dan Drew.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to see Dems pick up like 6-8 governorships but lose all in New England except Maine...

Nobody likes Bysiewicz. If she is the nominee, I do not like Democrats' odds. She was a good candidate for State Senate, but now she's going to throw it away on some misplaced idea that she can win the primary. Bronin wouldn't be my first pick, but he may be the best remaining Democratic candidate left.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »

Like I said, each state has different circumstances. Helps that Tom "it's your fault" Foley isn't running again.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »

Dan Malloy gets a ton of undeserved dislike.

He is a good person with excellent job performance.

The dislike for him is just irrational people who have no idea of how taxes work.

Oh, I think the people of CT have a VERY good idea of how taxes work.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2017, 01:40:16 PM by Progress96 »

And Charlie Crist was leading Rick Scott by double digits at this point!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »

Dang, guess I need to retract my endorsement of Generic Democrat. Sad

I doubt a Republican would win by this much, but I stand by my belief that this is the most likely pick-up for Republicans. Malloy's unpopularity will weigh down the Democrats, and some states do buck national trends (Democrats almost won Kansas in a "red wave" year), so it's quite plausible that Republicans could pick up CT while getting beaten badly in many other races.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »

I doubt a Republican would win by this much, but I stand by my belief that this is the most likely pick-up for Republicans. Malloy's unpopularity will weigh down the Democrats, and some states do buck national trends (Democrats almost won Kansas in a "red wave" year), so it's quite plausible that Republicans could pick up CT while getting beaten badly in many other races.
See also: Lingle, Linda; Schwarzenegger, Arnold; Wolf, Tom.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 07:37:36 PM »

So the GOP has a small edge in CT? I'm happy with that news.  Every other poll I've seen rates CT as a toss-up....but if the Republicans can pull it off, this state MAY actually get on the road to recovery.  BTW, just was looking at Malloy's approval numbers as of the last major poll (Quinnipiac University).  His last approval rating (that I can find) was TWENTY-FOUR PERCENT.  Among Republicans, that number falls to just eight percent (ya think?).  On the state economy, only twenty-eight percent of respondents are satisfied with it....I'm shocked that number is so high, LOL. 
FairBol
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:16 PM »

If the GOP can't win here, then it doesn't deserve to win.  And if the governor's mansion goes Dem again, I will have no choice but to move out of Connecticut, the state I've called home for thirty plus years.  I just can't take it anymore.  Sad
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »

If Olympia Snowe came out of retirement...Maine could be a GOP hold too.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »

I was unfamiliar with Susan Bysiewicz but reading her Wikipedia, she sounds like she'd be a disastrous nominee. Her career has been riddled with controversy
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »

Tbh this is history repeating and is evidence of a blue wave (in a weird way). Blue wave 2006--->CT Republican governor wins in a landslide.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »

Atlas needs to get its heads out of the sand: Republican governors are going to be doing fantastic across New England. Kim Guadagno should have lost by more than 14% given Chris Christies 20% approval and Trumps 35% approval.

Clearly new england enjoys moderate republican governors.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 09:48:43 PM »

Atlas needs to get its heads out of the sand: Republican governors are going to be doing fantastic across New England. Kim Guadagno should have lost by more than 14% given Chris Christies 20% approval and Trumps 35% approval.

Clearly new england enjoys moderate republican governors.

I agree except that New Jersey isn't in New England.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 06:32:44 AM »

Can we please not call this race for the GOP based on one junk poll conducted 11 months before the actual election?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »

It's plausible that Maine will be the only New England state with a Democratic governor after 2018, making for a map that's the perfect reverse of pre-2014. I don't think it's going to happen, but it's an amusing possibility.

Ironically, this is also what happened after 2002, but I really doubt Republicans will sweep CT, RI and NH this year.
Especially not TITANIUM D New Hampshire.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies