Florida House Republicans reject assault rifle ban... as Parkland students watch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:18:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida House Republicans reject assault rifle ban... as Parkland students watch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Florida House Republicans reject assault rifle ban... as Parkland students watch  (Read 2566 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »

I don't support a ban, but... at least consider it?

There is no reason why an 18-year-old should be able to purchase an assault rifle. Period.
Because they are an adult exercising their right to bear arms, perhaps?
I think the mere presence of Parkland survivors doesn’t make the proposal automatically correct but I will say: to buy beer you have to be 21. The same should be true of your second amendment rights.

Isn’t it the case that some guns you have to be 21 to buy and some you can be 18?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »

There is no reason why an 18-year-old should be able to purchase an assault rifle. Period.
Read the rest of the second amendment buddy, it says a well regulated militia.
Well, the supreme court has interpreted militias to not be necessary for ownership of a weapon countless times.
You mean starting in the 1980s the right wing hacks on the court rewrote the meaning of the 2nd amendment.

liberals pick and choose their interpretation of the constitution - always repub hacks who mess it up, get real
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 08:10:19 PM »

I think the mere presence of Parkland survivors doesn’t make the proposal automatically correct but I will say: to buy beer you have to be 21. The same should be true of your second amendment rights.

Isn’t it the case that some guns you have to be 21 to buy and some you can be 18?

Long guns = 18 (From an FFL); Handguns = 21 (From an FFL)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »

To my knowledge, it is. Source? A guy on Twitter who poses with guns and looks like he knows what he's talking about Tongue

Long guns = 18 (From an FFL); Handguns = 21 (From an FFL)
We ought to legally/constitutionally codify a clear age of majority. Regardless if you think it's negative or positive (I lean towards the former but not entirely), 21 is now the new age of "adulthood." We've, for better or for worse, have expanded the definition of childhood. I'm not even trying to make a "lol snowflakez" point - that is just the cultural reality. So I think setting the age of majority at 21, with specific exemptions for things like voting, smoking, lotto tickets, etc, would cover this without running afoul of the 2nd amendment.

I really can't think of a good reason, constitutional squabbles aside, for anyone being able to purchase any kind of gun under the age of 21. I'm obviously as pro-gun as they come but this seems to be an area where we can make at least partial progress towards reducing youth violence.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »

I want 19.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:13 PM »

Sad. Shame on Florida Republicans.

There should be a ban on assault rifles.

Leave the Second Amendment alone.

Poor Sheryl.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »

He can't buy liquor in any state.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:31 AM »

Should we just start passing stupid and ineffective legislation because the props that activists brought in are able to muster up some fake tears?

You are a disgusting human being.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 04:10:40 AM »

Should we just start passing stupid and ineffective legislation because the props that activists brought in are able to muster up some fake tears?

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 04:50:40 AM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 06:37:58 AM »

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »

Proving that youthful and trendy movements of "hope and change" can not change the minds of wise adults. These kids have been through alot, but gun control simply does not work. What works is letting responsible teachers store guns with restricted access inside the school. That could save dozens of lives in the case of a shooting.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

Proving that youthful and trendy movements of "hope and change" can not change the minds of wise adults. These kids have been through alot, but gun control simply does not work. What works is letting responsible teachers store guns with restricted access inside the school. That could save dozens of lives in the case of a shooting.
They went to college to become educators not bodyguards for s sake. Guns have twisted this country.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »

How do you anti-gun fundies feel when anti-abortion fundies use kids as props?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 12:24:38 PM by Storebought »

Anti-Abortion fundamentalists don't use children a props. They use glass or latex fetuses as props. By the time the fetus has matured into an infant, they somehow lose interest in its wellbeing.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »

Conservatives don't have actual grassroots movements and thus cannot fathom the idea of young people doing something because they legitimitely think it's the right thing to do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »

Anti-Abortion fundamentalists don't use children a props. They use glass or latex fetuses as props. By the time the fetus has matured into an infant, they somehow lose interest in it.
tell that to this lady

Using kids as props is bad.  Hell, using humans as props is bad.  Every President has used them in their State of the Union address since at least the start of TV.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

Also:

Conservatives: Just because these kids had their friends murdered doesn't make them experts on gun policy!!!!

Same conservatives: Here is the family member of a guy murdered by an illegal immigrant, who i will be bringing to the next 7 state of the unions.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »

Don't be an idiot. (I realize this may be asking too much) Arming teachers is beyond insane. Even a police officer with years of training and experience would be tested to the limit in a school shooting situation. A teacher doesn't stand a chance. School gun lockers would also be ripe targets for theft.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 02:07:34 PM »

Anti-Abortion fundamentalists don't use children a props. They use glass or latex fetuses as props. By the time the fetus has matured into an infant, they somehow lose interest in it.

tell that to this lady

Using kids as props is bad.  Hell, using humans as props is bad.  Every President has used them in their State of the Union address since at least the start of TV.

And let's not forget how Carly Fiorina ambushed those children for her anti-abortion rally, without even telling the parents of these children she would use them as "props."

Here is an image ..... look at the children sitting around her, and look at the giant image behind Fiorina.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/21/carly-fiorina-accused-of-ambushing-children-for-anti-abortion-rally
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

how can you not see how horrible that argument is?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 03:31:36 PM »

The worst thing about this is that its 2018 and people still don't know what an assault rifle is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies