What do you picture when you think of the first woman president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:16:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What do you picture when you think of the first woman president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do you picture when you think of the first woman president?  (Read 936 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

I see her definitely being a Republican.  She'll be well groomed, polished, and dress conservatively.  I don't see ANY woman that's currently in office now as the first.

And I also think she'll be very unpopular and might even be kicked out after one term.

Canada had a woman named Kim Campbell, who had a surge of popularity after she was first named PM, but quickly became unpopular and her party had one of the worst elections in its history after.  I wonder if Canadians remember her as being a pioneer, or if she's not thought of that much at all.

It's all very exciting because we've never had a female President before, but I don't think most Americans really care if we have one or not.  2020 will be the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage so it would be a great year for a woman to win, but I don't see it happening so soon.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »

I see her definitely being a Republican.  She'll be well groomed, polished, and dress conservatively.  I don't see ANY woman that's currently in office now as the first.

And I also think she'll be very unpopular and might even be kicked out after one term.

Canada had a woman named Kim Campbell, who had a surge of popularity after she was first named PM, but quickly became unpopular and her party had one of the worst elections in its history after.  I wonder if Canadians remember her as being a pioneer, or if she's not thought of that much at all.

It's all very exciting because we've never had a female President before, but I don't think most Americans really care if we have one or not.  2020 will be the 100th anniversary of women's suffrage so it would be a great year for a woman to win, but I don't see it happening so soon.

People said the first thing about the first brown or black president.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »

For some reason, my first thoughts go to this 1985 sitcom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38gcaSZo5k
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »

Lisa Ann as Sarah Palin.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »

Cough Cough

Surely a person kicked out of Donald Trump's staff is going to be the first
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Hillary Clinton of course /s
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »

Nikki Haley has a great shot at being the first female POTUS just by virtue of being so young. 

Imagine this possible timeline (which would be largely analogous to Hillary Clinton's career): 

1) Haley serves as UN Ambassador until 2020 when she resigns to run for the Senate seat being vacated by Lindsey Graham
2) With the support of Trump, Haley wins election to the Senate while Donald Trump loses a close reelection campaign to Cory Booker
3) After two terms of Booker, Haley runs for President in 2028 but is defeated in a protracted primary battle against a young, charismatic Republican governor
4) Said Republican governor is elected President in 2028 in a near-landslide.  He names Nikki Haley as Secretary of State based on her previous experience as UN Ambassador and on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
5) Resigning as Secretary of State in 2033, Haley begins her 2036 presidential campaign as a heavy favorite due to her status as party stalwart.  She wins the Republican nomination somewhat handily then goes on defeat a Democratic challenger in a somewhat close election.

Nimrata "Nikki" Haley makes history as first female president when she is elected as the 48th President in 2036.  She is inaugurated at the age of only 65!!!
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

Nikki Haley has a great shot at being the first female POTUS just by virtue of being so young. 

Imagine this possible timeline (which would be largely analogous to Hillary Clinton's career): 

1) Haley serves as UN Ambassador until 2020 when she resigns to run for the Senate seat being vacated by Lindsey Graham
2) With the support of Trump, Haley wins election to the Senate while Donald Trump loses a close reelection campaign to Cory Booker
3) After two terms of Booker, Haley runs for President in 2028 but is defeated in a protracted primary battle against a young, charismatic Republican governor
4) Said Republican governor is elected President in 2028 in a near-landslide.  He names Nikki Haley as Secretary of State based on her previous experience as UN Ambassador and on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
5) Resigning as Secretary of State in 2033, Haley begins her 2036 presidential campaign as a heavy favorite due to her status as party stalwart.  She wins the Republican nomination somewhat handily then goes on defeat a Democratic challenger in a somewhat close election.

Nimrata "Nikki" Haley makes history as first female president when she is elected as the 48th President in 2036.  She is inaugurated at the age of only 65!!!

I think if she wins the Presidency it would be earlier than 2036. Either 2028 if Trump loses in 2020 or 2032 if he wins in 2020. I think the next President will be a two term Democrat, and Haley likely comes after. I think she will end up running and would be a great choice for Republicans. She'd probably win against a generic D in 2028/2032.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:17 PM »

People said the first thing about the first brown or black president.

They were only off by two factors. But in the long run, they were right.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 11:34:42 PM »

Based on how the two major parties are structured right now, I think that if this were to happen within the next generation or so, the first woman president will most likely be a liberal Democrat.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:49 AM »

Not Hillary.

Most likely Nikki Haley, who would be an amazing president.
Crenton
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »

Kirsten Gillibrand.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »

I have never seen or heard one person off this site express even the faintest desire to have her as president.

I see the most likely look for the first female president being more like Senator Gillibrand of New York, who gives off the impression of Hillary Clinton without the scandals. Klobuchar fits this same mold. Harris could win though, especially since the black vote often decides democrat primaries.

Republicans certainly could elect a female president, but they don't have any especially strong women to run now. Haley represents Bush era "invade the world, invite the world" policies. That may be popular at National Review, but neocons are hated in Middle America. What other women do they have? Ernst could maybe win the Iowa caucus, but not the national primary. Martinez became unpopular during the later years of her term as NM governor and isn't conservative enough for the primaries anyway. Deb Fisher has minimal name recognition. So on and so forth. I think democrats will elect a woman before the next class of republican women comes around.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »

Dems- Kirsten Gillibrand
Republicans- Mia Love
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »