What will Generation Z be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:24:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will Generation Z be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What kind of generation will Gen Z be?
A liberal generation

A conservative generation

Somewhere in the middle

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: What will Generation Z be?  (Read 2650 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

Moderates. They're not going to be flaming SJWs.

You guys will do a great job turning them full liberal though, you're already sending them hate. Keep up the good work kiddo, helping create your own demise.

I'm an Independent, I am not affiliated with Republicans or Democrats. I vote for Republicans and Democrats based on a radically centrist agenda. I'm conservative on some issues and liberal on some.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 12:56:55 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 12:59:31 PM by Angry Socdem »

According to the Hispanic Heritage Foundation poll, they seem to be of the "enlightened fiscally conservative, socially liberal" political variant. Though I'd just wait until they actually have to try to get a job and make a living, then we'll see how much they like the "free market".

That said, when the dust settles, I see them as being both fiscally and socially centrist; a rather stark contrast from the both fiscally and socially liberal Millennials.

As I see it right now, the most likely scenario is...
  • The Trump presidency, and by extension the Pence presidency, are viewed as massive failures, especially under yet another economic recession in the early 2020s
  • The Democratic Party shifts to the left, doubling down on the "Better Deal" agenda
  • A progressive Democrat wins big in 2024 in a map similar to the Obama coalition, along with racking up major legislative majorities, and implement much of their agenda
  • The GOP rebrands and re-aligns itself as a corporatist, entrepreneurial, Silicon-Valley-mindset party, and by extension moves to the center
  • As the last Boomers pass away, a sort of generational divide emerges, with Millennials largely supporting the Democrats and Gen Z largely supporting the GOP
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »

I think it'll be split. I personally define the start of Generation Z as those born in 2000, so the Gen Zers who were born from 2000-2002 will for sure come of age under Trump/Pence, and IMHO will be liberal, almost as liberal as Millennials, as a result. Those born from 2003-2006 will be liberal or lean that way to if the GOP keeps the White House in 2020. Those that come of age under a Democratic President that's first elected in 2020 or 2024 will most likely lean Conservative/Republican unless said Democratic President is a realigning figure in the mold of FDR or Reagan. Young people that come of age in the 2030s (I don't know if kids born from 2010 on count as Gen Z) will probably be the next strong group of Republican voters.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »

Since other links on the generation are posted, I might as well post one that's rather recent.

https://www.prri.org/research/mtv-culture-and-religion/

indietraveler

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »

Liberal overall, but I think it's too early to tell if they'll be right or left of millennials. My best guess is just as left or more on social issues and maybe slightly right on fiscal issues.

Coming of age during the Trump years is likely pushing them left, just like for me growing up in the W. Bush era pushed me left.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »

The most diverse generation ever will almost certainly not be conservative
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »

Since other links on the generation are posted, I might as well post one that's rather recent.

https://www.prri.org/research/mtv-culture-and-religion/

So it seems that Gen Z is a pretty progressive generation (even the white men, compared to older white men). The main thing that's concerning is their disdain for recent protest movements. Hopefully this doesn't result in another apathetic generation or them turning from liberals into conservatives due to backlash.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 04:57:09 PM »

In Europe we do have evidence in some countries that the youngest generations polled are more critical of lax immigration policies than the generations that preceded them. But in many social issues they will be more liberal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »

"Very fine people"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States