Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:50:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves)  (Read 59076 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:55 PM »

I'm considering doing a game set in the aftermath of the Anglo-Irish Treaty in the early 1920s. It'd be similar to the Weimar game.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #276 on: September 07, 2020, 11:46:49 AM »

I've been thinking of doing a Keys game taking place in either the 1960, 1968, 1980, or 2000 Elections, with the latter going to 2032. I won't start this game until maybe October or November, but I'll like to see some thoughts on this game idea.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »

I have two ideas for games, tho given the research and prep I'd want to do ahead of time, they wouldn't start until after the election at the earliest.

Idea 1: Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Players could choose to start out as either rulers or generals. Generals would be free to try to become rulers, but a kingdom that hopes to reunite China is going to need more than a single player.  Armies with more local control will do better then those being managed from the capital.  Not only that but rulers will only be able to set general policy or run an army each turn, not both.  I could see using the basic idea to other settings, but the R3K location and time period is probably the easiest to iron out the kinks of running such a game.

Idea 2: Bronze New World
I fondly recall reading the BANW timeline on soc.history.what-if back in the days before there was a web and newsgroups were the height of social media on the internet. While the game would not use Doug Muir's masterful timeline, the game would start in 1493 with reports that the madman Cristoforo Colombo who has been plaguing the courts of Europe with a hare-brained scheme of a "shortcut" to the Orient has returned to Spain with tales that he managed to get most of the way there but that the Indians in the islands off the coast of the Orient were stranger than reports from the East would indicate.  The Admiral of the Ocean Sea has brought back various trinkets that some think a fraud, but at the least they are an interesting fraud.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2020, 06:52:30 PM »

I've been thinking of doing a Keys game taking place in either the 1960, 1968, 1980, or 2000 Elections, with the latter going to 2032. I won't start this game until maybe October or November, but I'll like to see some thoughts on this game idea.

I was a big fan of the first KttWH game and it's a shame it petered out.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »

Same. I was also thinking of doing a reboot of my Troubling Times game with the only catch being that the otl candidates/major candidates can't run, unless you're choosing to run as George Wallace. So that means no Nixon, Rockefeller, Reagan, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey, or McCarthy, which opens up the field quite a bit more.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »

Same. I was also thinking of doing a reboot of my Troubling Times game with the only catch being that the otl candidates/major candidates can't run, unless you're choosing to run as George Wallace. So that means no Nixon, Rockefeller, Reagan, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey, or McCarthy, which opens up the field quite a bit more.

Reagan was barely a factor in 1968. He should be allowed to run.

Also, replace someone on that list of Democrats with LBJ, given you seem to be implying he would be allowed to run (as the incumbent President, he'd start with a big advantage, assuming he could get through the primary)
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »

Reagan was barely a factor in 1968. He should be allowed to run.

Also, replace someone on that list of Democrats with LBJ, given you seem to be implying he would be allowed to run (as the incumbent President, he'd start with a big advantage, assuming he could get through the primary)

I said Johnson, meaning LBJ. But I'll include Reagan. I might start the game tomorrow or the day after. We'll see
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #282 on: September 30, 2020, 07:45:53 PM »

After the Midterm Games and other such games end, I might try and do an alternate 2004 Presidential Election Game where Colin Powell beat Bill Clinton in 1996 and served two terms in the White House and in this universe, there is no 22nd, so a player could choose to play as the popular President Colin Powell running for a Third Term, the first President to do so since FDR's successful 1940 bid, or stay out of the race and not endorse anyone. As for the most likely candidates for both parties, there's 2 term New York Senator John F. Kennedy Jr., Massachusetts Governor John Kerry, House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt of Missouri, Senator John Edwards of North Carolina, Senator Hillary Clinton of Arkansas, and Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut for the Democrats and Vice President Trent Lott, Florida Senator Joe Scarborough, Texas Governor George W. Bush, Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson, NY Senator Rudy Giulani, Senator Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, and Senator Spencer Abraham of Michigan for the Republicans.

I'll develop this further with someone to help me, I might get in contact with Cabbage to help, idk. But if anyone wants to reserve someone, just message me and we'll have it reserved in the document.
RGM2609
« Reply #283 on: November 07, 2020, 06:28:14 PM »

Any interest in a 2024 game now that the winner of the election is known?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #284 on: November 07, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »

I would be interested.

You'd have to do a 2022 Midterm in some form (maybe in the signup sheet).

If you need a co-mod, I could help, and I'd be willing to play as well (just not as Biden, as I genuinely think he's too old to seriously be considering running for reelection.)
RGM2609
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2020, 07:13:33 PM »

I would be interested.

If you need a co-mod, I could help, and I'd be willing to play as well (just not as Biden, as I genuinely think he's too old to seriously be considering running for reelection.)
I will write a sign up sheet soon. And yes, Biden is not running again, nor is former President Trump. The primaries need to be kept interesting.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2020, 07:44:24 PM »

I would be interested.

I will write a sign up sheet soon. And yes, Biden is not running again, nor is former President Trump. The primaries need to be kept interesting.

I don't know...I think Trump should be playable (if only because it would be really out of character for him not to run in 2024.)
RGM2609
« Reply #287 on: November 07, 2020, 07:46:48 PM »

I would be interested.

I don't know...I think Trump should be playable (if only because it would be really out of character for him not to run in 2024.)
He will have some sort of a health crisis.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #288 on: November 17, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2020, 04:55:57 PM by Huey Long is a Republican »

I might do an AH 1976 Game where Agnew is forced to resign early in 1971, Nixon replaces him with Gerald Ford, Nixon is assassinated in January but Ford rejects a run and instead pushes the Liberal Edward Brooke, who is convinced to select Howard Baker as a running mate. They go on to win 1972 in a landslide with Brooke being the first AA president in History. TTL's america is different as there is no major Watergate scandal and has a very different political world. Ofc, I'll need someone to help me build it. Would anyone be interested in helping me make the Timeline?

EDIT : I'm also thinking about doing a 1940 KttWH game where FDR doesn't run, probably going to do a poll on that now. I'll see what ya'll think.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #289 on: November 17, 2020, 08:05:39 PM »

I fondly recall reading the BANW timeline on soc.history.what-if back in the days before there was a web and newsgroups were the height of social media on the internet. While the game would not use Doug Muir's masterful timeline, the game would start in 1493 with reports that the madman Cristoforo Colombo who has been plaguing the courts of Europe with a hare-brained scheme of a "shortcut" to the Orient has returned to Spain with tales that he managed to get most of the way there but that the Indians in the islands off the coast of the Orient were stranger than reports from the East would indicate.  The Admiral of the Ocean Sea has brought back various trinkets that some think a fraud, but at the least they are an interesting fraud.

I've started work on getting this ready for a start early next year. It would be a Concert of Europe style game, only with season long turns and despite what's happening elsewhere in the setting, all players will have to be European or Mediterranean powers. The Grand Duchy of Moscow and the Ottoman Empire are likely to be the easternmost playable powers unless I get a lot more interest than I expect. If there's a specific power you'd like to urge me to have as playable, feel free to PM me.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #290 on: November 17, 2020, 09:09:30 PM »

Read this as "Bronz New World."
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #291 on: January 10, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »

I've started work on getting this ready for a start early next year. It would be a Concert of Europe style game, only with season long turns and despite what's happening elsewhere in the setting, all players will have to be European or Mediterranean powers. The Grand Duchy of Moscow and the Ottoman Empire are likely to be the easternmost playable powers unless I get a lot more interest than I expect. If there's a specific power you'd like to urge me to have as playable, feel free to PM me.

Did anything ever become of this?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #292 on: January 10, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »

Did anything ever become of this?

Hadn't gotten any feedback, so I put it on the back burner. It'll be at least May now as I've entered my busy time at work.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2021, 12:03:11 AM »

I've been mulling over a game set during the Fourth Diadochi War if there is sufficient interest, probably taking place in 303, after the Diadochi have declared themselves kings, but before the defeat of the Antigonids at Ipsus.

With the betrayals, assassinations, and general chaos of the time period, I'm thinking it could make for a dynamic game.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #294 on: March 03, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »

I've been mulling over a game set during the Fourth Diadochi War if there is sufficient interest, probably taking place in 303, after the Diadochi have declared themselves kings, but before the defeat of the Antigonids at Ipsus.

With the betrayals, assassinations, and general chaos of the time period, I'm thinking it could make for a dynamic game.

Have you read ‘Elephants and Castles’ by Alfred Duggan? Smiley
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #295 on: March 03, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »

Have you read ‘Elephants and Castles’ by Alfred Duggan? Smiley

I haven't, though after reading about it I may have to pick it up. I'm currently making my way through Robin Waterfield's "Dividing the Spoils" and am really enjoying it. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #296 on: June 27, 2021, 09:16:43 PM »

I'm mulling a future game set during the Meiji Restoration in Japan.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »

Depending on what happens with Revolution and The Lamps are Going Out (which is say, if they continue and only once they're over) I'd like to attempt a traditional nation game.

Giving serious thought to a WWII game as it hasn't been attempted, though I am not sure what the ideal starting date would be. Considering July 1940 for a proper war game, or 1933/1936/1939 as pre-war starts, with the only main issue being the problem of excessive player hindsight.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »

Depending on what happens with Revolution and The Lamps are Going Out (which is say, if they continue and only once they're over) I'd like to attempt a traditional nation game.

Giving serious thought to a WWII game as it hasn't been attempted, though I am not sure what the ideal starting date would be. Considering July 1940 for a proper war game, or 1933/1936/1939 as pre-war starts, with the only main issue being the problem of excessive player hindsight.

1939 would be great, and I'd like to claim Hitler in advance.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »

Update to this: after some meditation (and very useful advice) I have decided indeed on The Gathering Storm (1939) as my next project, though it will include a couple of new rules for the sake of balance (I won't be allowing claims just yet, sorry NYE).

I'll move forward with it once YPestis's 1914 project is successfully completed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies