Will this be the breaking point for gun control?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:06:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will this be the breaking point for gun control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will this finally be the breaking point for gun control?
Yes, people have had enough.

Nope,

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Will this be the breaking point for gun control?  (Read 2028 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »

In the gun debate, no mass shooting venue can compare to a school for moving public opinion. It was a high school that first brought gun violence into the American consciousness (Columbine). It was an elementary school that shaped the modern day gun control movement (Sandy Hook). Will it be a high school shooting that is the final nail in the coffin for the NRA?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:43:24 PM »

The NRA will continue to have influence over the GOP, this will not end until the people corrupted by gun lobbyists get voted out of office.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:49:23 PM »

If 20 dead children at Sandy Hook did not change anything, this certainly will not.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »

If Columbine didn't change things and Sandy Hook didn't change things, why would this change things?
Joey1996

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »

If Sandy Hook wasn't nothing will be. Someone can kill 100 people in a mass shooting and the most we'll get is thoughts and prayers.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 10:05:29 PM »

a more interesting question--what would it take? i honestly don't know the answer
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »

a more interesting question--what would it take? i honestly don't know the answer

Democratic control of the federal government.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »

Democratic control of the federal government.

Democrats lack the political will and courage to take on this issue.

Gun control is alot like the Civil Rights issue....it's basically another gigantic problem the crusty Boomers will punt to future generations to deal with in the way Civil Rights was ignored for nearly a century and always deferred to some future generation to fix.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

Blacks and hispanics buying guns
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »

Gun control will only happen when country clubs and lobbying firm offices are getting shot up instead of high schools.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »

Sorry. I meant ordinary republican voters, not the lawmakers and the NRA bosses. I mean via Public Opinion polls.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »

Sorry. I meant ordinary republican voters, not the lawmakers and the NRA bosses. I mean via Public Opinion polls.

"ordinary republican voters" believe what they're told to believe - Trump is proof of that.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »

Lol. Ordinary republican voters are already vastly out of step with the GOP on gun control and it doesn't matter.  Republicans in congress block gun control measures like universal background checks that have 80-90%+ support from the public.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »

Jesus 0-26 in the poll
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »

"ordinary republican voters" believe what they're told to believe - Trump is proof of that.
Joey1996

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »

Blacks and hispanics buying guns
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 11:53:51 PM »

Democrats lack the political will and courage to take on this issue.

Gun control is alot like the Civil Rights issue....it's basically another gigantic problem the crusty Boomers will punt to future generations to deal with in the way Civil Rights was ignored for nearly a century and always deferred to some future generation to fix.

Huh

They don't lack the courage. They lack the power to do something about it. That was just as true in 2012 as it is now. So long as Republicans have a say in any part of the process, they will say no. No doubt a lot of Democratic Congresspeople recognize the futility of this so long as Republicans control a branch/chamber of the federal govt/Congress.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:21 AM »

No, like with Sandy Hook it becomes clear that no actual proposed policies are going to do anything to prevent school shootings and the typical "outraged" people find a new shiny object after using dead children as props
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:14 AM »

No, like with Sandy Hook it becomes clear that no actual proposed policies are going to do anything to prevent school shootings and the typical "outraged" people find a new shiny object after using dead children as props

Oh come on. Let's be real here, Republicans don't care if gun control would actually help, hence things like the CDC research ban. Mass shootings like this are already priced into conservatives' views on the 2nd amendment. In that sense, it's like the CSA scheduling of marijuana - Schedule I, so proper research on it was very difficult if not impossible, as was intended. No one cared if it was actually harmful enough to be banned. They just wanted it banned, period. Likewise, Republicans don't care if some form of gun control would work. They don't want to restrict guns in any meaningful way, period.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »

Oh come on. Let's be real here, Republicans don't care if gun control would actually help, hence things like the CDC research ban. Mass shootings like this are already priced into conservatives' views on the 2nd amendment. In that sense, it's like the CSA scheduling of marijuana - Schedule I, so proper research on it was very difficult if not impossible, as was intended. No one cared if it was actually harmful enough to be banned. They just wanted it banned, period. Likewise, Republicans don't care if some form of gun control would work. They don't want to restrict guns in any meaningful way, period.
If you guys actually cared about gun violence you would focus on hand guns and gang violence rather than mass shootings(which make up a small percentage of murders) major media companies would also stop turning school shooters into cultural icons for ratings ( Many of these shooters are copy-cats often inspired by extreme media saturation of columbine or sandy hook)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »

Says you. How about we try something, anything, and see? Should we really be leaving any stone unturned when it comes to trying to prevent these shootings from happening?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 02:16:04 AM »

Have fun with it then. It's almost like people like you don't care at all (maybe you don't?). Let's do SOMETHING. PLEASE. For Pete's sake!
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 03:21:40 AM »

lmao...no
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 03:24:19 AM »

I do think that there's already a sea change of public opinion and energy on this issue. I've seen far more condemnation of the NRA by public figures than I could've ever imagined 15 or even 5 years ago, and the sheer revulsion and contempt of people towards the thoughts and prayers cliche increases every time. Are we at a tipping point yet? Probably not, but we are headed that direction.

Like usual when this happens, the politicians will be 10-15 years behind the public, but I wouldn't be surprised if the gun debate in the 2030s is FAR more hostile to the NRA's priority than the debate today is.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 03:30:47 AM »

Scalise was shot and almost killed by a nutso, and he still doesn't dare to say anything that might displease the NRA.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies