Dukakis in Montana and South Dakota 1988
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:40:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dukakis in Montana and South Dakota 1988
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dukakis in Montana and South Dakota 1988  (Read 960 times)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2018, 02:01:33 PM by Liberalrocks »

Why did Dukakis perform relatively well in losing these solid republican states in a GOP landslide year? I presume South Dakota might have been due to the 1980’s  “farm crisis” but he didn’t perform as well in neighboring North Dakota. I have no theory on why he only lost Montana by 5.87%? I also have to wonder did his campaign know these states were relatively close? I’m thinking not and thus no money went into them and electoral votes are small. Still it would have been interesting to see either flip that year.  Any theories?....
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

Montana has a strong tendency to swing heavily against incumbent parties.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 07:14:52 PM »

I can't believe no one has mentioned the most obvious reason Dukakis did so well in these two states: the farm crisis of the late 80's.
mianfei
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2018, 08:34:20 PM by mianfei »

Why did Dukakis perform relatively well in losing these solid republican states in a GOP landslide year? I presume South Dakota might have been due to the 1980’s  “farm crisis” but he didn’t perform as well in neighboring North Dakota. I have no theory on why he only lost Montana by 5.87%? I also have to wonder did his campaign know these states were relatively close? I’m thinking not and thus no money went into them and electoral votes are small. Still it would have been interesting to see either flip that year.  Any theories?....
There was a major drought in the Northern Great Plains that year, and this spread a farm crisis that had allowed even Mondale in 1984 to do relatively well in Iowa and adjacent areas. The most notable effect of this drought and farm crisis is that Blaine County on the Canadian border spoiled a perfect bellwether record since 1916 by voting for Dukakis by fifty-eight votes (1,460 to 1,402).

As to why Dukakis did not do as well in North Dakota as he had in South Dakota, no Democrat since Lyndon Johnson in 1964 had done better in ND than in SD, and I do not think any have since. Moreover, the vote trend in North Dakota was 7.49 percent as against South Dakota's 9.64 percent - not really a significant difference and not even detectable on the trend map:
Another factor in why Dukakis did relatively well in the Plains and relatively poorly in the East is that some elements of the Bush campaign, especially regarding black crime, were of little interest to people in the rural, white plains states but were very significant in places like Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and Delaware.

Given that Dukakis was the first liberal Northeastern Democratic nominee for a long time, and liberal Northeasterners are disliked on the Plains, I have always though 1988 with the drought and farm crisis could have been much more of an 1896-style "deviating election" than it was.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »

I wonder: Had Dole been the Republican nominee in 1988, would he have done better in rurual areas?
mianfei
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »

I wonder: Had Dole been the Republican nominee in 1988, would he have done better in rurual areas?

I have to assume so, given that he beat Bush in all of the competitive upper Plains contests, was from Kansas and the former Ranking Member of the AgCom. Most Republican candidates would have outperformed Bush in rural areas – he was the last nominee who was plainly of the suburban Republican variety. Maybe Jack Kemp would have faced similar problems.
As I hinted in my previous post, it’s certainly possible that a different Democratic nominee – especially but not exclusively populist Missourian Dick Gephardt – might have been able to use the farm crisis well enough to take from Bush senior Montana and South Dakota (plus Missouri). Neither Bush nor Dukakis – both urban Northeasterners and Dukakis the first Democratic nominee of this type since John F. Kennedy – were at all well-suited to the problems of the Midwest and Plains, so altering either party’s candidate would most likely have improved their performance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies