Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:21:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Author Topic: Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!  (Read 78366 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »

It all depends on how Orman is branded. Does he maintain a "quasi-Democrat" aura from 2014 or does he look like a "JoCo moderate GOPer"?
Orman's best shot as third-party is if Ward and Kobach win their respective primaries, as both IMO are the extremes of their party. I think he's going to have a hard time cultivating a base of support if Democrats nominate Svaty. I also think the race will be over if Colyer wins the primary - enough moderate Republicans will hold their nose and vote for him over Orman/Democratic nominee.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »

It all depends on how Orman is branded. Does he maintain a "quasi-Democrat" aura from 2014 or does he look like a "JoCo moderate GOPer"?
Orman's best shot as third-party is if Ward and Kobach win their respective primaries, as both IMO are the extremes of their party. I think he's going to have a hard time cultivating a base of support if Democrats nominate Svaty. I also think the race will be over if Colyer wins the primary - enough moderate Republicans will hold their nose and vote for him over Orman/Democratic nominee.

This.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 07:56:54 PM »

I was at Washington Days (our Dem convention) yesterday and saw the shape of the race.

Each candidate had a table, minus the some-guys. They were giving out stickers/buttons and stuff, and Brewer was the only one selling his items. Svaty's table had the most people stopping by (maybe the delicious homemade kolaches helped out...) and there were tons of people walking around with Svaty buttons on. His supporters showed up in force, including me. Ward had the second most supporters there for sure.

During the debate, Svaty clearly won, and fans of other candidates were telling me this. His energy and rhetoric stood out, and he was very specific, especially on the healthcare question. Ward did decent, talked about his record and threw some progressive red meat. Laura Kelly just seemed absent. She was sleepy, stumbling, and didn't seem at all confident. Brewer was okay but fumbled a few questions and didn't say much. In terms of the minor candidates, Jack Bergeson (the kid) was the only one to bring up the sales tax on food and the first to talk about marijuana reform. Robert Klingberg was, well, Robert Klingberg-just said some random things about being an average guy. Arden Andersen, however, was wacko. Dude brought up autism/"growing numbers of developmental disorders" in every speech and appeared on the verge of an antivax rant. What a character...

Overall, I think Washington Days shows that the Democratic frontrunners are Svaty, Kelly, and Ward to a lesser extent. Brewer is rapidly falling behind and it wouldn't shock me if he dropped out. Kelly doesn't seem like she's in the race (Sebelius was working the room before dinner while Kelly sat at her table, even as Ward, Brewer, and Svaty worked the room), but she's got the Sebelius machine. Svaty has energy and a dynamic campaign team, but not necessarily the party establishment. Ward has a lot of progressive Dem activists, but not the money he needs. For that matter, I heard that labor won't be big on Ward because of how he took down Tom Burroughs, who has a lot of standing among Wyandotte County unions, as minority leader a few years back.

Will definitely be an interesting race moving forward!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »

How strong is the "Sebelius machine"?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 10:33:55 PM »

I was at Washington Days (our Dem convention) yesterday and saw the shape of the race.

Each candidate had a table, minus the some-guys. They were giving out stickers/buttons and stuff, and Brewer was the only one selling his items. Svaty's table had the most people stopping by (maybe the delicious homemade kolaches helped out...) and there were tons of people walking around with Svaty buttons on. His supporters showed up in force, including me. Ward had the second most supporters there for sure.

During the debate, Svaty clearly won, and fans of other candidates were telling me this. His energy and rhetoric stood out, and he was very specific, especially on the healthcare question. Ward did decent, talked about his record and threw some progressive red meat. Laura Kelly just seemed absent. She was sleepy, stumbling, and didn't seem at all confident. Brewer was okay but fumbled a few questions and didn't say much. In terms of the minor candidates, Jack Bergeson (the kid) was the only one to bring up the sales tax on food and the first to talk about marijuana reform. Robert Klingberg was, well, Robert Klingberg-just said some random things about being an average guy. Arden Andersen, however, was wacko. Dude brought up autism/"growing numbers of developmental disorders" in every speech and appeared on the verge of an antivax rant. What a character...

Overall, I think Washington Days shows that the Democratic frontrunners are Svaty, Kelly, and Ward to a lesser extent. Brewer is rapidly falling behind and it wouldn't shock me if he dropped out. Kelly doesn't seem like she's in the race (Sebelius was working the room before dinner while Kelly sat at her table, even as Ward, Brewer, and Svaty worked the room), but she's got the Sebelius machine. Svaty has energy and a dynamic campaign team, but not necessarily the party establishment. Ward has a lot of progressive Dem activists, but not the money he needs. For that matter, I heard that labor won't be big on Ward because of how he took down Tom Burroughs, who has a lot of standing among Wyandotte County unions, as minority leader a few years back.

Tremendous news....I've been saying for months is Svaty's race to win. Not that clown Orman
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:58 AM »

Tremendous news....I've been saying for months is Svaty's race to win. Not that clown Orman

And how precisely you intend to win with Orman in the race?. He is perfectly able to get at least 15-20% of vote, and mostly - from Democrats (or - very moderate Republicans, whom Democrats badly need to win in this generally Republican state). Without Orman, Svaty, for example, could build that coalition of Democratic and moderate Republican voters, which was generally successfull in 2016 legislative elections. But, with him - i think Colyer (or even Kobach) is favored, simply because there is still a very considerable number of very conservative Republicans to prevail over split opposition.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 04:32:47 AM »

Agreed - he has a lot of room to grow. This strongly suggests that if Colyer has a good legislative session, he'll be the strong favorite in August.

I’m starting to think the GE may not be as close as expected if he’s the nominee and the legislative session goes well.  The SoS race could be close-ish, but I think it’s probably fool’s gold.  I think the big win for the Democrats in Kansas this cycle will be KS-2 (folks are really underestimating how likely this seat is to flip).  KS-4 will still be closer than it should be, but we had our chance there.

KS-3 could flip, but only if the wave sweeps out Yoder.  He’s a strong incumbent facing decidedly unimpressive opposition (I’m a bit baffled the Democrats couldn’t get a stronger recruit to run here tbh, they kinda dropped the ball), but it is also exactly the type of place where you’d expect Trump to be absolutely toxic to the GOP brand (please correct me if I’m wrong).  Honestly, the district is among the harder ones for me to predict, but right now I think Yoder will eek out a narrow victory (and possibly be a top target in 2020).

Since you’re one of our resident Kansans, I’d be curious to hear your thoughts about these races.
I mostly agree with you, I think the 2nd isn't getting as much attention as it should. The 3rd is still most likely to flip, it voted for Crooked Hillary in 2016. Luckily for Yoder, the strongest candidate had to drop out over sexual harassment accusations. Niermann is probably the favorite in the primary but he'll face a tough challenge against Yoder, the national mood is going to have to get more favorable for Democrats.

The 2nd is almost the opposite - Democrats have a strong candidate but Republicans are scrambling a bit. I honestly have no clue who will win that primary, but whoever it is will have to quickly coalesce the party because at this point, I doubt the winner gets more than 40% of the vote share. However, the district is much more Republican than the 3rd so despite Republican flaws in recruiting, they should still be favored. I would say Fitzgerald is the favorite at this point and he's been controversial in the past.

Isaac, I understand it's part and parcel with being a republican in Kansas, but you do realize that reiterating the phrase crooked Hillary, All Things Considered, ahem, makes you sound like a douche?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 04:36:15 AM »

And how precisely you intend to win with Orman in the race?. He is perfectly able to get at least 15-20% of vote, and mostly - from Democrats (or - very moderate Republicans, whom Democrats badly need to win in this generally Republican state). Without Orman, Svaty, for example, could build that coalition of Democratic and moderate Republican voters, which was generally successfull in 2016 legislative elections. But, with him - i think Colyer (or even Kobach) is favored, simply because there is still a very considerable number of very conservative Republicans to prevail over split opposition.

This. Do grooming toriel candidates pick their lieutenant governor candidate like in most States? And if so any chance one of the Biggie's might work out a deal with Orman to bring him into the flock?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 07:17:34 AM »

^ Orman seems to be too ambitious to agree to play second fiddle.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

I think Orman can be pushed out of the race if Democrats show that they have a strong candidate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »

I think Orman can be pushed out of the race if Democrats show that they have a strong candidate.

I - don't. He will be holding a grdge against Democrats, who wouldn't support his candidacy this time, and will make everything possible to ruin Democrat's chances.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »

Isaac, I understand it's part and parcel with being a republican in Kansas, but you do realize that reiterating the phrase crooked Hillary, All Things Considered, ahem, makes you sound like a douche?
I won't shy away from the truth - she is crooked. Most politicians are, honestly.

VPH, I appreciate your insight - I am most surprised that Kelly was that uninterested, in my mind she was the frontrunner but acting like that almost makes her sound arrogant. Regarding Orman - what do you think the chances are that he'd jump on as Lt. Governor for a Democrat? Or that the Democratic nominee becomes his Lt. Governor? That seems to be the only option for either to win (IMO) and I wouldn't be shocked if the race approached Sebelius margins.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2018, 10:17:17 PM by Jbrase »

I won't shy away from the truth - she is crooked. Most politicians are, honestly.

I'm sure all but the deepest hacks that backed her would even agree she is "crooked", but Badger's point still stands. Repeating a dumb Trump slogan doesn't enlighten anyone on Hillary being bad, it only reminds the world that Trump had every opportunity to say "Crooked Clinton" and chose not to. Tongue
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »

Brutal takedown of Laura Kelly in the KC Star today. Like man, it's harsher even than I thought it would be from the headline. The author even says "But she has an understated personality, lost her place during her opening statement and drew fewer whoops from the crowd than several other contenders, including 17-year-old Jack Bergeson, who argued for legalizing pot every chance he got"
http://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/article203559889.html
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 08:59:35 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2018, 01:35:38 PM by The Saint »

Greg Orman has chosen Kansas State Senator John Doll, who before becoming an independent in joining the ticket was a moderate Republican.

https://www.ormanforkansas.com/about_john_doll

He will now be the Kansas Legislature's only independent.

This seems to be a move to increase his bipartisan credentials in the eyes of some Republicans who might have viewed him as being a Democrat stand-in in 2014 (though those that think that probably won't vote for him anyway).
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2018, 10:56:01 AM »

Greg Orman has chosen Kansas State Representative John Doll, who before becoming an independent in joining the ticket was a moderate Republican.

This seems to be a move to increase his bipartisan credentials in the eyes of some Republicans who might have viewed him as being a Democrat stand-in in 2014 (though those that think that probably won't vote for him anyway).
Funny enough, Doll used to be a Democrat and ran for the big first in 2006.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »

Greg Orman has chosen Kansas State Representative John Doll, who before becoming an independent in joining the ticket was a moderate Republican.

Good grief. Two opportunistic peas in a pod.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »

I recognize that the last Democratic Governor of Kansas had two former Republicans in the LG's office, but Democrats need to seriously realize that voting for Orman is a mistake. If they hold ranks and he mostly draws from Republicans, Svaty has an even better shot.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »

It's good to hear that Svaty is on point. I heard him at a small event in eastern KS (long story) and was super unimpressed. But it was also relatively late in the evening and in front of like 18 geriatric county dems, so he could have been forgiven for being low energy and wonky.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 12:22:44 AM »

You can't win in far western Kansas as a Democrat, usually. And Doll is from Western Kansas. So - he made a right decision..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »

I recognize that the last Democratic Governor of Kansas had two former Republicans in the LG's office, but Democrats need to seriously realize that voting for Orman is a mistake. If they hold ranks and he mostly draws from Republicans, Svaty has an even better shot.

Even in that case - Orman will draw moderate Independents and moderate Republicans, whom Democrats absolutely need to get, to have a chance for governorship. Democrats can't win Kansas on Democratic votes alone....
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 01:15:50 AM »

You can't win in far western Kansas as a Democrat, usually. And Doll is from Western Kansas. So - he made a right decision..
I don't necessarily agree. Dennis McKinney used to pull great numbers in West-Central Kansas. Eber Phelps, a longtime Representative from Hays and former Hays mayor (iirc), won back his seat over moderate Sue Boldra in 2016. Trump got around 75% here, although it's an ancestrally Democratic area way back. Heck, Daniel Love almost won the Dodge City House seat after dropping out the day after the filing deadline and not having his name taken off the ballot. Without campaigning, he was one mailer or two away from winning a deep red district. Granted, Love is a longtime judge there, but it goes to show that in Kansas, it's hard to write things off.

In 2006, despite getting creamed, John Doll got around 40% in Finney County. My guess is that he won Garden City proper and could probably win the corresponding state House seat as a Democrat.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2018, 01:57:15 AM »

I don't necessarily agree. Dennis McKinney used to pull great numbers in West-Central Kansas. Eber Phelps, a longtime Representative from Hays and former Hays mayor (iirc), won back his seat over moderate Sue Boldra in 2016. Trump got around 75% here, although it's an ancestrally Democratic area way back. Heck, Daniel Love almost won the Dodge City House seat after dropping out the day after the filing deadline and not having his name taken off the ballot. Without campaigning, he was one mailer or two away from winning a deep red district. Granted, Love is a longtime judge there, but it goes to show that in Kansas, it's hard to write things off.

In 2006, despite getting creamed, John Doll got around 40% in Finney County. My guess is that he won Garden City proper and could probably win the corresponding state House seat as a Democrat.

It really depends where you are. I wouldn't expect someone from Greeley county to encounter a great degree of success, but yeah, the commercial centers (so Ford, Finney, Reno counties +/- Ellis and Ellsworth) have been hospitable in the past. I was shocked that we didn't even field a Garden City state rep candidate last cycle, do you know if there's someone running this time?

(actually fun facts, I'm in the process of writing my BA on the political/economic history of western/central Kansas in the 1960s-1980s. )

Edit: Actually to this point, worth noting that Svaty came from a place where Dems have had comparative success in the region - his uncle was a pretty influential chair back in the 80s when he was growing up.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2018, 02:27:06 AM »

Thanks for info. Of course - you are local, and i genralized somewhat, but let's consider a map of Kansas state House districts. How many distiricts west of Wichita are now held by Democrats? IIRC - exactly one, by Eber Phelps you mentioned. And in state Senate? Zero. So, i think, what i said is rather close to the truth...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2018, 03:03:15 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2018, 07:51:55 AM by smoltchanov »

I see it somewhat differently. The emergence of substantial number of serious Independent candidates is, IMHO, a proof of failure of present day American political system, where both major parties are moving to radical fringes, and 35-40% of electorate, calling itself a "moderates", are, essentially, not welcome in both... People like Orman or Doll don't fit really well in both Kansas parties, for example, though Kansas is still one of the "better" states in this sense, with both moderate Republicans and "not very liberal Democrats" still existing. Look at Michigan, Wisconsin,and so on - almost complete adherence to "dogma" by almost all legislators..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies