The Second Presidential Debate (API News) - Main thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:32:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Second Presidential Debate (API News) - Main thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Second Presidential Debate (API News) - Main thread  (Read 1201 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »

Ms. President, I thought I did try to answer your question in my statement. To be even more clear, here's my answer about whether dual office-holding has harmed the game: Not yet.

Why do I say that? We can only look back a few years to a much different time in Atlasia. Summer of 2015. We had what was essentially a constitutional crisis. We had multiple revolutionary groups calling for secession or dissolution. Our president then stood back and did nothing while our republic was burning. Members of the Cabinet were scheming in their own ways to bring chaos. It got so bad that my running mate was elected President to clean up that mess.

You must admit, it's quite unprecedented to have virtually your entire Cabinet hold dual offices at once. You say that's because if we didn't rely on those individuals, we'd face an activity crisis. But, I thought the game was going in the right direction under your leadership! Does it inspire a lot of confidence when the administration must rely on the same pool of talent yet claim we're making steady progress on activity? Dual office-holding not only facilitates an environment for cliques to form, but it's also unfair to other players, many of whom could be up-and-coming beginners who are just ambitious enough to give it a go.

Why don't we focus on these people instead of the same old faces? You criticize me for being an old-timer, but I recognize that the game survives through enough new blood in the mix. I've been the strongest voice in this race for representing other players--players who aren't talked about, but who could be if they're given a chance. My presidency would be all about creating genuine, lasting activity so we can take this game to new places. The current leadership hasn't proven it can do that, or even recognize the fundamental problem.

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »

PERIOD FOR REBUTTALS IS NOW OVER.

Closing statements
I will now open up a final 24-hour period for all three candidates to post their closing statements.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2018, 01:07:55 AM by President fhtagn »

I appointed newcomers to the game into my cabinet, actually: wxtransit and Mr. Reactionary.
I also appointed Young Texan and later appointed RFayette in his place. None of these folks are "the same old faces" who were pulled from the same pool of talent.

But way to prove my point that you don't pay attention Wink

You don't get to call yourself the strongest voice for anything when your record of activity in recent history is as terrible as it has been. Unless you count no voice at all a strong voice.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:16 AM »

I appointed newcomers to the game into my cabinet, actually: wxtransit and Mr. Reactionary.
I also appointed Young Texan and later appointed RFayette in his place. None of these folks are "the same old faces" who were pulled from the same pool of talent.

Umm...

Posted two minutes before you posted this. Sigh, I should have locked the thread.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:57 AM »

Umm...

Posted two minutes before you posted this. Sigh, I should have locked the thread.

Your post for rebuttals originally said 24 hours, then you later mentioned midnight CST.
According to timestamps, I was within the original 24 hour request.
If you wanted less than 24 hours, which your cutoff did, you should have edited that post to ONLY say midnight CST.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 01:24:45 AM »

Umm...

Your post for rebuttals originally said 24 hours, then you later mentioned midnight CST.
According to timestamps, I was within the original 24 hour request.
If you wanted less than 24 hours, which your cutoff did, you should have edited that post to ONLY say midnight CST.

You know what I meant. I posted "24 hours" at 12:04 AM, I'm not thinking that I actually need to calculate 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 35 seconds or something like that. Do we really have to get into technicalities? When I call time, time is up.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 01:31:32 AM »

You know what I meant. I posted "24 hours" at 12:04 AM, I'm not thinking that I actually need to calculate 23 hours, 56 minutes, and 35 seconds or something like that. Do we really have to get into technicalities? When I call time, time is up.

But you supposedly support specifying the time in this manner.

I believe clarity, not ambiguity, is the best for Atlasia. If you want to believe different, then fine. Just know that you may incite another long, drawn-out TimTurner vs. Peebs, which still leaves the exact result of the Southern election that was held last month outstanding. Read the entire thread and all of the arguments. I think you will find that clarifying far outweighs not clarifying.  Maybe adding one minute is not essential, but specifying the second is. Either 00:00:00 or 00:00:59 works, but 00:00 doesn't. That leaves too much open to interpretation.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 01:41:57 AM »

But you supposedly support specifying the time in this manner.

I believe clarity, not ambiguity, is the best for Atlasia. If you want to believe different, then fine. Just know that you may incite another long, drawn-out TimTurner vs. Peebs, which still leaves the exact result of the Southern election that was held last month outstanding. Read the entire thread and all of the arguments. I think you will find that clarifying far outweighs not clarifying.  Maybe adding one minute is not essential, but specifying the second is. Either 00:00:00 or 00:00:59 works, but 00:00 doesn't. That leaves too much open to interpretation.

I didn't know that the debate moderator also got to debate!

You have got to be kidding me. You are comparing my statement (and taking it out of context) for an election, where seconds count, to a debate, where seconds really don't matter. I even said in my original statement that I would cut it off at midnight. I am not part of this debate, so let's end this here. I am the moderator, so I get to be the one to call time. That is that.

Please do not respond to this, and instead use this time to post your closing statement.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 11:25:31 PM »

Ok, time for my closing statement. Thank you to wxtransit for moderating-and doing a great job at it!-and to my opponents for participating in this debate. This has been a wild, hard-fought, brilliant campaign. At the heart of it are two very different choices for Atlasia's future, and for you. My opponent thinks what we need is "Strong and stable leadership"(because apparently Theresa May is a role model) while I'm for "The Change We Need." Atlasia is heading in the wrong direction. If you first preference Pericles/Wells, you can stop this and set our country back in the right direction.

I'll be brief. The game needs to be reformed. Our political system is out of touch and stagnant, and I've introduced a range of proposals to solve this and create a government that serves all of us. We need to reform dual office holding, reward active posters, communicate clearly our principles and policies, make the Supreme Court independent, pass a new War Declaration Act and reform the pardon power and perhaps do even more. However, we also need to fix our economy. Unemployment is at 7%, which is far too high. I have a plan to reduce it, while all the Federalists have is attacking me and my plan. We need to rebuild our nation's infrastructure and create millions of good paying jobs for the Atlasian people. I will also raise the minimum wage to $14 an hour and make college free for all Atlasians. I will be a center left President, and work with the Federalist House and other parties(the House is guaranteed to remain Federalist) to find common ground and make Atlasia better for all Atlasians.

This is your time. Make sure to get out and vote! Please, don't let this opportunity slip away! Vote Pericles/Wells, and let's end the Federalist era and begin a new, brighter, progressive era for Atlasia. It's been a great campaign and an honor to be your candidate. Now, let's change Atlasia!
Thank you, good night and Dave Bless Atlasia!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »

Given how close it is until the polls open, I will keep this relatively short (at least compared to my opening statement).

My opponents are running uninformed campaigns, spreading lies and repeating empty talking points in order to win votes. Their record of activity in game prior to deciding to run for President has been very questionable at best. Neither of them offer anything to voters across all ideologies. They speak about Atlasia going in the wrong direction, but they are part of the problem, not the solution.

I have a proven record of success in every position I have held in game since redeeming myself from my Southern Chamber of Delegates loss in January 2017, and that success is present in my Presidency today. I have not marketed myself to only specific parties because I represent all of Atlasia, not just the Federalists, and I will not divide us over something such as party affiliation like my opponents have done. I will not make unrealistic promises based on things I think one side wants to hear, because I have offered realistic solutions to already existing problems, and will continue to do so in a second term. Despite what my opponents will tell you, simple fact-checking would prove that my administration has offered change, and the right kind that our nation needs. This weekend, I urge the Atlasian voters to choose the candidate that will actually roll up their sleeves and do the work, not just pander to a small handful of folks and tell you what you want to hear with no realistic results. Atlasians deserve someone they can trust to do the job, not find themselves questioning whether or not promises can be kept or if the person in office will remain active and informed.

I want to once again thank wxtransit and API News for hosting this debate, Senators Pericles and Spiral for attending, and all Atlasians who have tuned into this debate. I look forward to this weekend and having the opportunity to serve a second full term as President!

Thank you all and have a great night!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 12:39:08 AM »

I'd like to thank wxtransit for hosting this wonderful debate, and I'd also like to thank President fhtagn and Senator Pericles for joining me on this stage.

This election is not about personalities. It isn't even about memes, as fun as those can be. It's about vision. Who has the vision to actually make a difference in Atlasia? Who wants to see this game reach new heights? Who will support the next generation of Atlasians to move us forward?

This campaign is not about an ego trip for myself. I've already checked all the boxes on political office for two different regions in my time. The reason why I decided to step my foot out, withstand the storm of criticism, and offer an alternative was because I knew we could do much better than we are right now. If it'll take this old geezer to point it out, by God, we need that in this day and age.

The President claims that everything is hunky dory in Atlasia--as long as she remains in office for the next four months. After those four months, though, what do we really expect to see? She has been as guilty as anyone of offering platitudes to voters. While she goes on about the bills she's signed, she has become increasingly out of touch with the regular Atlasian. Holing yourself up in chatrooms isn't communicating with average voters, it's the online equivalent of frequenting the local country club. That won't be what you'll see out of me as President. I will fight for you, and you'll know exactly where I stand and why I do what I do--because I'll talk directly to you.

The Federalists may have controlled government for the past year, but I want to be clear: When I talk about uniting this country, I'm talking about reaching out to regular Federalists as well. It's this current administration that's part of the problem. A Spiral administration will fight for all voters. I have seen all sides of party politics and built unlikely alliances with many. This vast experience that Adam Griffin and I have built up over the years will be put to the final test as we seek to revitalize this great game. It won't be just us, though: it will require all of you too.

Isn't it time we mixed things up for a change? I humbly ask for your vote this weekend. Thank you all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies