Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:29:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)  (Read 5941 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »

I will play as Eliot Cutler.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 02:26:05 PM »

The American politician?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »

Err, the MP for Mont-Royal.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 02:30:51 PM »

Lol i got the first name wrong. I will be Irwin Cutler. Sorry for the typo, lol.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »

Lol i got the first name wrong. I will be Irwin Cutler. Sorry for the typo, lol.

Whoops, lol.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »

Merci! Pardonnez mon français!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »

You can have Irwin Cotler, Tim.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »

I would be more then willing to play as the Leader of the Liberal Party.
|

Will Trudeau be being replaced or will you play as Trudeau?
I'll play as Trudeau.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2018, 08:14:07 PM by Harry S Truman, GM »

(Answering this here to avoid disrupting gameplay with OOC commentary:

This minority is far too unstable. I go to the Governor-General and call for a fresh election.
OOC: I don’t think that’s how this works.
The possibility of an early election does exist within the structure of the game. Opposition parties may bring motions of no-confidence against the government, just as in real life, and parliament may be dissolved if the event the government fails to pass a budget. In a hung parliament, this means the opposition can force an early election by deliberately voting down the government's program; so by logical inference, the prime minister can request the dissolution of parliament (as otherwise, opposition parties would have an unfair advantage in budget negotiations).

I'll admit I didn't expect this option to be invoked so early in the game; I'll allow it this time for the sake of fairness, but in the future there may be restrictions on when an election may be called.

edit: As of this posting, parliament remains in session. The prime minister's request has been "provisionally granted" pending his completion of certain tasks assigned to him by the governor general; in the meantime, parties may act to prevent or bring on an early election as they see fit.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2018, 05:35:07 AM »

This minority is far too unstable. I go to the Governor-General and call for a fresh election.
The possibility of an early election does exist within the structure of the game. Opposition parties may bring motions of no-confidence against the government, just as in real life, and parliament may be dissolved if the event the government fails to pass a budget. In a hung parliament, this means the opposition can force an early election by deliberately voting down the government's program; so by logical inference, the prime minister can request the dissolution of parliament (as otherwise, opposition parties would have an unfair advantage in budget negotiations).

I'll admit I didn't expect this option to be invoked so early in the game; I'll allow it this time for the sake of fairness, but in the future there may be restrictions on when an election may be called.

edit: As of this posting, parliament remains in session. The prime minister's request has been "provisionally granted" pending his completion of certain tasks assigned to him by the governor general; in the meantime, parties may act to prevent or bring on an early election as they see fit.
Am I still allowed to appoint people as ministers for certain cabinet ministries?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »

Am I still allowed to appoint people as ministers for certain cabinet ministries?
Yes; they can be either players (as with Minister for Justice Colter), or you can "appoint" real-life MPs to the cabinet.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:19 PM »

With the prime minister's statement yesterday, parliament is officially dissolved. Turn One of the general election will likely begin tomorrow; once I have finished calculating the results of the government phase, I will post the rules for the election and we'll get started.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:49 AM »

May I join as Niki Ashton of the NDP?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 12:33:43 AM »

May I join as Niki Ashton of the NDP?
Certainly: welcome aboard!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 01:14:38 AM »

Just a reminder: Turn One ends in approximately 23 hours, at 11:59 pm. We are still awaiting platforms and schedules from the Liberals and NDP.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 02:26:50 AM »

Sorry for the short notice, but I am going to have to withdraw from the game due to a lack of available time IRL
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »

Sorry for the short notice, but I am going to have to withdraw from the game due to a lack of available time IRL
Sorry to hear that, Ted; thanks for letting us know. Feel free to rejoin if you have more time later.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »

As noted in the campaign thread, Nikki Ashton (played by GoTfan) has replaced Jagmeet Singh as leader of the New Democratic Party. Turn One has been extended to Sunday (2/18) to allow him time to submit a platform and schedule.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

Turn one is now closed; turn two will be up as soon as I have finished marking your performances and calculating provincial polls/seat estimates.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »

A reminder that your schedules and debate responses for Turn Two are due tonight.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »

Unfortunately I have to drop out. With uni starting, I just don't have the time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »

Sad Sorry to hear that, GoTfan. Feel free to rejoin if you have more time later on.

With that, we are once again in the market for an NDP leader. If either of our backbenchers would like to take over Ashton (Tim, Sestak...), or if a new player would like to come aboard, let me know as soon as possible. Otherwise, NDP will be on autopilot for Turn Two.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »

I was recruited by Not_Madigan on the discord, so I'll give it my best!

Can I play as Cam Broten and lead the NDP as if I were elected from Saskatoon West?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 01:58:24 AM »

Thanks to those who turned in schedules and debate responses for Turn Two. As Trudeau and Scheer have yet to post their material, I will be extending this turn for another 24 hours (until the end of the day Friday, February 23).

While I don't mind granting extensions when necessary, do make sure you're keeping track of deadlines and letting me know if/when you need extra time; at the very least, it helps me to know that you're still planning to submit material, and have not simply lost interest.

Can I play as Cam Broten and lead the NDP as if I were elected from Saskatoon West?
Welcome! My only issue with that is Broten would be a first term MP becoming party leader in the middle of an election campaign. Do you have a compelling reason for why Broten would become leader; or, alternatively, is there another NDP figure you'd be willing to play as for this round?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »

Welcome! My only issue with that is Broten would be a first term MP becoming party leader in the middle of an election campaign. Do you have a compelling reason for why Broten would become leader; or, alternatively, is there another NDP figure you'd be willing to play as for this round?

Perhaps since he was the leader of the Saskatchewan NDP, he already had some leadership experience and was thus chosen?

If not, I could try to find another character.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies