The Death of Kings: Gameplay Thread (Turn 4) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Death of Kings: Gameplay Thread (Turn 4) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Death of Kings: Gameplay Thread (Turn 4)  (Read 4626 times)
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« on: February 07, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »

The Grand Maester's researches

My Lords,

I have been called upon to research the question of the competing royal claims, and the possibilities of their resolution by the means of a Great Council.

The Great Council of 101 AC established that the Crown cannot succeed in the female line. This forbids the Queen Dowager to ascend in her own right, but as all of the three Targaryen princes, lawful and less so, are male descendants in the male line of Aegon the Dragon, this stricture is little further to the purpose.

At the death of His late Grace King Aerys II, Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone was the acknowledged heir apparent to the Iron Throne. There were rumours, indeed, that the King intended at some point to punish his heir for the supposed abduction of Lyanna Stark by advancing his second son, Prince Viserys. There were rumours also of equal weight that the said King was distracted in his mind, stories which clung at different points to both his sons, also, though it must be said with less general credence.

Prince Aegon, or King Aegon the Sixth of that Name, is legal Prince of Dragonstone and his father's undoubted elder heir. No stain had been whispered against his birth, given his clear Targaryen appearance, until the recent accusation of the Dowager his grandmother in favour of her son's interest.

Prince Viserys, or King Viserys the Third, is closer in proximity to the late King but in a younger line. His elder years promise a shorter, if only slightly shorter Regency, but also presuppose that Regency's position in the hands of a grieving and distracted widow, great with child, suspected by some, however shockingly, of having played a part in her husband the late King's demise. In consideration of his case we might finally note the Great Council of 233 AC, which forbade the crown to Maegor, on the grounds that he was the son of Aerion Brightflame, sadly well-attested maniac.

The so-called Prince Jaehaerys need not detain us so long. Polygamy, even among royalty, is a custom that was last accepted in the Realm before the Crown and the Faith were at peace. Given that the child in question is half-northern too, his acceptance by worshippers of the Seven as their true born King is nothing short of unimaginable.

The rebel Stannis Baratheon is a mere cousin of the Royal House and I shall not consider his case further.

In conclusion, as Grand Maester I personally am of the view that King Aegon the Sixth deserves the throne, and that it is best his right be maintained by a strong and leal regency combining the experience of the legendary former Hand Lord Lannister, the blood affinity of the Prince of Dorne, and the ever leal service of Lord Tyrell. But I further advocate a Great Council to ensure the peaceful adherence of all parties to any such arrangement.

Ever in service to the realm,

Grand Maester Pycelle
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

Reserved for a PoV coming soon
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies