pro-choice vs. pro-life states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:33:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  pro-choice vs. pro-life states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: pro-choice vs. pro-life states  (Read 10644 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 07:04:59 PM »

I noticed you mentioned Pennsylvania.  Are you suggesting they are pro-life?  I would guess most of the state is, but some of the suburban areas such as Bucks County are probably more pro-choice.

De jure (by law), PA is anti-abortion.  De facto (by fact), based on polls taken, PA is pro-choice though ever so slightly.  And I'm not talking about Roe vs. Wade which PA residents favor 65-30.
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 08:03:26 AM »

In response to what Cosmo Kramer said from Arkansas, I realize that people are not strictly pro-choice or pro-life, but it goes without saying that pro-life people would support an exception if the life of the mother were in danger.  Even Alan Keyes and Pat Buchanan support that.  Even if you support exceptions for rape or incest like President Bush, I would classify that person as pro-life.  If you oppose partial birth abortion but favor allowing abortions in the first trimester (even when there is NOT rape or incest), I would classify that person as pro-choice.  I would like the maps to be based on the classification that I just layed out.  It seems as if Pennsylvania would be slightly pro-choice but not solidly.  I'm really not sure about Rhode Island.  Some say they are more pro-life, but they voted for Lincoln Chafee (a pro-choice Republican) over a pro-life populist Democrat named Robert Weygand in 2000, so that makes me think they are more Libertarian.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

WI and MN are most certainly more towards the Pro Life side than the Pro Abortion side.  Opebo's map comes closest to reality.  If it weren't for the abortion issue, WI and MN would be the most Democrat-loyal states in the Union.
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2005, 11:19:07 PM »

Perhaps we can come to a consensus on certain states and then concentrate on the middle of the road states when it comes to abortion.  If anyone disagrees with the states I'm about to name, let me know.  I would give the pro-lifers Alabama, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia.  I would definitely give the pro-choicers California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington state.  A lot of the libertarian midwestern and western states I'm not really sure about.  I would guess Kansas is more pro-life because Dole was always strong on that issue, and probably the same is true with Nebraska.  I am not sure about New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and Hawaii.  I am also not sure about Arkansas (a religious state in certain ways but also a high divorce rate and the home of Bill Clinton), Delaware (typically a swing state now leaning Democratic, Washington, DC, Florida (mix of Southerners and Northerners), Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York state, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2005, 12:14:10 AM »

Real data posted here. Perhaps we can stop with the "Colorado is super pro-life nonsense now".

http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2005/50StateAbortion0805SortedbyProLife.htm
skybridge
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 04:35:58 AM »

Didn't you say you don't care who is president just so long as he's pro-life?
ChipGardnerNH
Rookie
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2005, 07:58:07 AM »

Brownie, that was an interesting poll by SurveyUSA, but I have heard that they're not the most reliable polling company.  Colorado ranks as the second most pro-choice Bush state.  I have always thought of Colorado as being more of a socially liberal state, but what threw me off is the fact that they selected a pro-life Democrat populist Ken Salazar last year against a libertarian Pete Coors.  I would think Coors would be a natural fit for their state, but perhaps he lost because he was too much of an intellectual lightweight.  I recall in one of the debates he said he didn't know who Paul Martin is (he's the Prime Minister of Canada).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2005, 08:13:46 PM »

Brownie, that was an interesting poll by SurveyUSA, but I have heard that they're not the most reliable polling company.  Colorado ranks as the second most pro-choice Bush state.  I have always thought of Colorado as being more of a socially liberal state, but what threw me off is the fact that they selected a pro-life Democrat populist Ken Salazar last year against a libertarian Pete Coors.  I would think Coors would be a natural fit for their state, but perhaps he lost because he was too much of an intellectual lightweight.  I recall in one of the debates he said he didn't know who Paul Martin is (he's the Prime Minister of Canada).

I have no idea why people ignore the issues so much, but SUSA has a very good track record for 2002 and 2004 (it didn't exist for 2000).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 03:36:18 PM »

I realize that people are not strictly pro-choice or pro-life, but it goes without saying that pro-life people would support an exception if the life of the mother were in danger. 

Why does it go without saying? How is the mother's life any more important than the child's life and why be inconsistent in supporting abortion in certain circumstances. Either it is immoral to kill a child or it isn't.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2005, 04:11:58 PM »

I realize that people are not strictly pro-choice or pro-life, but it goes without saying that pro-life people would support an exception if the life of the mother were in danger. 

Why does it go without saying? How is the mother's life any more important than the child's life and why be inconsistent in supporting abortion in certain circumstances. Either it is immoral to kill a child or it isn't.

Because the mother is a person.

By the way, killing is never 'immoral'.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2005, 04:28:04 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2005, 04:31:21 PM by A18 »

I've seen national polls showing it much closer than the result SurveyUSA got.

EDIT: Oklahoma tied? Okay, throw anything Survey USA comes up with out the window.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2005, 04:31:14 PM »

Because the mother is a person.

By the way, killing is never 'immoral'.

Was the Matthew Shepard case immoral?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2005, 04:32:46 PM »

Opebo likes to make outrageous comments just to get attention. If you ignore him, he might stop.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2005, 08:54:09 PM »

Opebo likes to make outrageous comments just to get attention. If you ignore him, he might stop.

eh, that'd be kinda hard.  It'd be somewhat easy for me to do, but it's hard for most people.  ie. Dibble who argues with him simply so he won't have an impression on the weaker minded.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies