When will we have our first/next....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will we have our first/next....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will we have our first/next....  (Read 383 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
« edited: February 03, 2018, 03:04:22 PM by mathstatman »

When will we have...

...our first Lutheran President? Lutherans comprise 2-5% of the US population (much more than that in the Midwest). We have never had a Lutheran President from either the moderate ALC/ELCA nor the more conservative LCMS (or the very conservative WELS), though Lutherans are more numerous than Quakers (2 Presidents) or Unitarians (4 Presidents).

...our first Pentecostal/Charismatic President? This would include the Assemblies of God, Church of God  (Cleveland, TN) and the historically Black Church of God in Christ?

...our first Restoration Christian President? (Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, as distinct from the Disciples of Christ (LBJ, Reagan) which is NCCCUSA-affiliated). TV personality Phil "Duck Dynasty" Robertson is affiliated with the Churches of Christ.

...our first Orthodox Christian President?

...our next Catholic President? (JFK was of course the first and so far only).

...our first Polish-, Slavic-, Italian-, Greek-, or Chaldean-American President? (This last one is a bit of a stretch: Chaldean-Americans have trouble even getting elected to local office in Sterling Heights, MI, where they comprise a significant percentage of the population).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »

When will we have...

...our first Lutheran President? Lutherans comprise 2-5% of the US population (much more than that in the Midwest). We have never had a Lutheran President from either the moderate ALC/ELCA nor the more conservative LCMS (or the very conservative WELS), though Lutherans are more numerous that Quakers (2 Presidents) or Unitarians (4 Presidents).

Given that Lutherans were a much stronger share of the population in the early 20th century and didn't experience any systematic political discrimination (and are in fact massively overrepresented due to the Dakotas), it's surprising that it didn't already happen.  Given that it didn't, I wouldn't expect a Lutheran president anytime soon.

...our first Pentecostal/Charismatic President? This would include the Assemblies of God, Church of God  (Cleveland, TN) and the historically Black Church of God in Christ?

2032ish.  Next Republican after Trump.

...our first Restoration Christian President? (Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, as distinct from the Disciples of Christ (LBJ, Reagan) which is NCCCUSA-affiliated). TV personality Phil "Duck Dynasty" Robertson is affiliated with the Churches of Christ.

I think their membership is low enough that there's no reason to expect a Restoration president anytime soon.

...our first Orthodox Christian President?

It almost happened in 1988.  The Balkans should be increasing in geopolitical importance going forward with events in Russia and mass migration from the Middle East, which might increase political involvement among Americans of those backgrounds, so I'm thinking 2050ish.

...our next Catholic President? (JFK was of course the first and so far only).

This is the really serious anomaly on the list, as they are the plurality religious group and have been for some time.  I would say 2020/2024, but the fact that Trump and Pence are both Protestant makes that less of a clear proposition, and I don't think Biden will run on the Dem side.  I'm going with 2028.

...our first Polish-, Slavic-, Italian-, Greek-, or Chaldean-American President? (This last one is a bit of a stretch: Chaldean-Americans have trouble even getting elected to local office in Sterling Heights, MI, where they comprise a significant percentage of the population).

2050ish, for the same reason as the Orthodox Christian question.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies