#ReleaseTheMemo/FBI-DOJ Investigation Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:25:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  #ReleaseTheMemo/FBI-DOJ Investigation Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Author Topic: #ReleaseTheMemo/FBI-DOJ Investigation Thread  (Read 21967 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »

Issuing this memo showed more about the vapidity of the GOP than about any faults of the FBI.

The “memo” contains no proof of anything really. It’s a piece of paper written by Republicans in an attempt to further dismantle our government.  They’re trying to undermine those investigating them and their leader and they’re trying to further consolidate their power and hold over the country.

And they wouldn’t be doing this if they weren’t afraid of something.

That's what some people don't seem to get about this. Despite having a official sounding name, a memo is just someone's opinion on something, not an official or definitive statement. In this case it's someone's opinion of a document he hasn't even read, which should tell you how much his opinion on it is worth.

Even taking the memo at face value, as I did the first time I read it, I don't really see what the problem is. That's not even looking at Nunes making a bunch of legal errors and taking information wildly out of context to create a false impression.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »

This is not normal. And I’m tired of being told to ignore it, or it’s just how he is, or the American people knew what they were getting into. Roll Eyes He really needs to be impeached and this has nothing to do with his party. I would say the same thing if he were a Democrat. The Republicans act as if Hillary Clinton will get his seat if they throw him under the bus. Jesus.

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2018, 08:56:08 PM »

I feel like the Memo flop could've somewhat hurt the GOP's momentum. I know that the typical Atlas mindset for this sort of thing is that it won't be a factor in the election but it really did expose the GOP's willingness to blindly protect their leaders. It just overall blew up in Trump's face and I would be surprised if we didn't see somewhat of a backlash against the Republicans for it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »

Issuing this memo showed more about the vapidity of the GOP than about any faults of the FBI.

The “memo” contains no proof of anything really. It’s a piece of paper written by Republicans in an attempt to further dismantle our government.  They’re trying to undermine those investigating them and their leader and they’re trying to further consolidate their power and hold over the country.

Yes, but the Democrats on the committee have not denied it.  They say it is slanted, and I'm sure it is, but they never said, "These things didn't happen." 
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »

Yeah, I was reading the parts of Reddit that love Trump the most to see their take on things, and a lot of them think this is going to result in arrests of Clinton and Obama, etc etc. As best I can tell, they think this proves that the warrant was baseless and proves the FBI, DOJ, and possibly the CIA were all colliding with the Clinton campaign, and the next big reveal will be about how corrupt the state department is, and then Trump will clean house and actually "drain the swamp."

The lack of critical thinking skills as well as inability to research how the justice system works makes me sad, honestly. It was refreshing to see quite a few "Uh, guys, I love Trump but this doesn't say anything" posts before they got deleted.

Arresting political rivals is exactly what will make America great again.  That is completely anti-American.

These people are idiots and I'm embarrassed to live in the same country as them.
the Donald is a safespace dedicated to worship of trump,  low effort sh*tposting, racism and other forms of discrimination, and terrible trolling...the sub has gone downhill greatly.... its a joke and  they should mostly be ignored
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »

#YoMemoJokes has been trending #1 worldwide for 16 hours straight. What a humiliation for the GOP.

More humiliating for the people who came up with the phrase "Yo Memo Jokes" tbh

No
honestly yes...thats low energy trolling right there tbh
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2018, 09:42:38 PM »

Yeah, I was reading the parts of Reddit that love Trump the most to see their take on things, and a lot of them think this is going to result in arrests of Clinton and Obama, etc etc. As best I can tell, they think this proves that the warrant was baseless and proves the FBI, DOJ, and possibly the CIA were all colliding with the Clinton campaign, and the next big reveal will be about how corrupt the state department is, and then Trump will clean house and actually "drain the swamp."

The lack of critical thinking skills as well as inability to research how the justice system works makes me sad, honestly. It was refreshing to see quite a few "Uh, guys, I love Trump but this doesn't say anything" posts before they got deleted.

Arresting political rivals is exactly what will make America great again.  That is completely anti-American.

These people are idiots and I'm embarrassed to live in the same country as them.
the Donald is a safespace dedicated to worship of trump,  low effort sh*tposting, racism and other forms of discrimination], and terrible trolling...the sub has gone downhill greatly.... its a joke and  they should mostly be ignored

I think the term you are looking for is "hate speech".
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »

the Donald is a safespace dedicated to worship of trump,  low effort sh*tposting, racism and other forms of discrimination], and terrible trolling...the sub has gone downhill greatly.... its a joke and  they should mostly be ignored

I think the term you are looking for is "hate speech".
actually yeah...thank you
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »

the Donald is a safespace dedicated to worship of trump,  low effort sh*tposting, racism and other forms of discrimination, and terrible trolling...the sub has gone downhill greatly.... its a joke and  they should mostly be ignored

It's the same as it's always been, because it's always been filled with hate speech. It should not be ignored because these are a not insignificant portion of Trump's base. For me, it also helps me understand how Trump is seeing things, because he listens to folks who stoke his ego, and that means he listens to quite a few people who believe what these people believe.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #209 on: February 04, 2018, 02:10:07 AM »

I am surprised that Republicans aren't trying to abandon the Duce -- or are too many of them compromised? Maybe it was more than the 2016 Presidential election that was messed with. Senate seats, too?

Of course this is all speculation, but if there was tampering with the results of the Presidential election, there would be effects in the Senate elections, too. 
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: February 04, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »

I am surprised that Republicans aren't trying to abandon the Duce -- or are too many of them compromised? Maybe it was more than the 2016 Presidential election that was messed with. Senate seats, too?

Of course this is all speculation, but if there was tampering with the results of the Presidential election, there would be effects in the Senate elections, too. 

While, as the NRA illegally taking money from Russia shows, it's certainly possible that the GOP are all criminals (for their actions related to the election I mean - they're obviously guilty of obstruction as a party), I think Occam's Razor says it's more likely that they're backing Trump to the hilt because they're a pack of stupid, hateful bigots who hate everything good America stands for.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #211 on: February 04, 2018, 08:34:02 AM »

Yes, but the Democrats on the committee have not denied it.  They say it is slanted, and I'm sure it is, but they never said, "These things didn't happen." 

House Republicans votes against allowing the release of the Democratic response memo. Even if they had voted for it, the President would still have to approve (or not) it’s public release.

And I’m not sure which Democrats, according to you, are saying it is just slanted, but I’ve heard them say it was downright false.

Besides...even if it’s just “slanted,” that is still a twisting of the truth to suit your own agenda...it’s taking facts out of context and manipulating them to appear a certain way, even a way in which they never were...which makes them no longer fact.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »

They’ve denied that McCabe ever testified that the dossier was an essential part of the evidence for the FISA warrant and they’ve made it clear that the memo’s assertion that the FISA court wasn’t told about who had hired Fusion GPS to do the opposition research leading to the memo is a bald-faced lie.  Most of the other issues with memo are that it is filled with baseless allegations and deliberate misrepresentations designed to advance a false narrative and that it constantly omits material facts which disprove said narratives (ex: all the other evidence presented to the FISA court, much of which went back before Page was affiliated with Trump).  The most significant part of the memo actually undermines the Nunes Narrative since it states the investigation of the Trump campaign began due to Papadopolous rather than Page.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:26 PM »

Report: Nunes Wants to Publish As Many As 5 More Memos

https://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/report-nunes-wants-to-publish-as-many-as-5-more-memos.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »

Will the other five be in crayon this time?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2018, 11:13:39 PM »

Will the other five be in crayon this time?

Official red, white and blue Congressional stickers too Smiley
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »

This is insane.

The GOP really is the greatest threat to our democracy.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2018, 12:00:58 AM »

90% chance we get a memo about Hillary and Uranium.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »

This is insane.

The GOP really is the greatest threat to our democracy.
Basically this.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »

I think this means Trump really is going to go down the path of harassing the investigation (in a manner he thinks he can claim is legal). This matches up with his past legal history of not complying with court orders, filing frivolous lawsuits, etc.

Of course, what they're really doing is telling Mueller that they'll do everything within their power to mess with his investigation, until he actually throws them in jail for obstruction. And counting on the lapdog GOP to refuse to impeach for that obstruction.

What it does to the country, Trump doesn't care, of course.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2018, 02:35:33 AM »

I've always been uncomfortable about the damage Trump would cause to the institutions of our democracy, but these memos have me actually sick-to-my-stomach nervous. The only reason our democracy holds together is because, at the core, the people have to believe it works. While this memo was pointless and ridiculous, it seems to be causing some amount of real doubt. Additional memos, regardless of how spurious, will continue to chip away at the remaining trust.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »

I find accusations of blackmail lazy but seriously I can't account for Nunes' incredibly persistent and slipshod behavior otherwise. The Russians simply must have something on him which is forcing him to run interference for Trump so baldly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2018, 08:21:48 AM »

I find accusations of blackmail lazy but seriously I can't account for Nunes' incredibly persistent and slipshod behavior otherwise. The Russians simply must have something on him which is forcing him to run interference for Trump so baldly.

Honestly, I get the feeling Nunes is just a weak man hopelessly out of his depth given the demands of that position at such a vital moment in American history (I don’t think he’s dumb, this is all in the context of someone who reached the level of House Intelligence Committee Chairman) and is essentially having a George Wallace moment (doing something he knows to be terrible to [in his mind] help his career in the short-term that will long-term ensure that he is remembered as a Russia-coddling, unpatriotic partisan hack from California).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »

Wall Street Journal and the Right continue to try and use the baseless memo to discredit Mueller.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-memo-and-the-mueller-probe-1517777842
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies