Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When WH Council threatened to leave
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:32:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When WH Council threatened to leave
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When WH Council threatened to leave  (Read 3482 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:15 AM »

I don’t want to sound crazy, but the fact that every mainstream politician in the country won’t be screaming for impeachment by tomorrow morning is a depressing sign of how much our democracy has deteriorated
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 04:42:57 AM »

I don’t want to sound crazy, but the fact that every mainstream politician in the country won’t be screaming for impeachment by tomorrow morning is a depressing sign of how much our democracy has deteriorated

Most likely reaction by congressional Republicans:

IndustrialJustice

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »

Sounds like Trump needed a Robert Bork on staff.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 07:35:06 AM »

The attempt to fire Mueller feels like a watershed moment, as it forces Trump to either confirm or deny he took the aforementioned action.

1. If he confirms it, then he admits attempting to end the investigation, and provides Mueller with evidence of probable cause to obstruct justice.

2. If he denies, then he risks perjuring himself, or lying to the public, in a matter that could be revealed by further leaks, or sworn testimony by White House officials.

3. If he refuses to comment, the truth will come out in later testimony, and the ambiguity will remain a talking point.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »

This is what bothers me the most about this whole situation. When he was chosen to be the candidate at the Republican convention, I was nervous about the direction we were headed. How could a party get behind someone so obviously not suited for the presidency, with obvious conflicts of interest?

I held out hope that the electoral college would finally get the chance to do its job, as it was instituted for exactly this situation, to protect the American people from a charismatic, but ill-suited, demagogue. But they didn't. There were one or two that were willing to do their job, but the rest failed. And I knew, with that test failed, the slide down was starting.

Congress has only made it worse. Instead of actually investigating someone unfit for office, they've played along to get their wishlist, and now I see no real way to recover from this. Even if Trump is impeached and removed from office quickly, the damage is already done, and I have a really hard time imagining how we recover from it.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 10:15:40 AM by Special K »

I've had so many Trump voters saying things like, "so what?" or "he should've fired Mueller."

I don't get it.

These morons (his voters) would literally rather have a president who obstructs justice and colludes with a foreign power against the nation they are supposedly loyal to, instead of clutching to the ideals and principles that their nation is actually supposed to stand for.

There was a time when Americans held dear things other than blind party loyalty.  The measure of a person was weighed by their dignity, self-respect, the way they treated others, and the vision they held for a brighter future.  All those such men and women of America's past are spinning in their graves at the travesty we've become under Trump's leadership.  Where we are right now is not what Washington, Lincoln, FDR, or even Reagan had in mind.  The greats of our history wouldn't like Trump; on the other hand, the evils of our history would.  Likewise, I truly doubt your ancestors, many of whom fought in wars to protect our country and the sovereignty of others would have many nice things to say about Trump and his ideals.

Furthermore, I say, if you are a Republican (or a Democrat) to the death, and absolutely nothing at all the person at the head of your party says or does can sway you away from them, then you are not only anti-American, you are treasonous.  If you would defend a leader no matter how corrupt, and no matter how much he/she is working to disrupt the stability of our government, then you are a traitor.

Yes, I am saying that people like Reaganfan and others here who simply defend everything this administration is doing, are traitors to the country.

"Make America Great Again" is actually a real motto for all of us now.  Before Trump's election, though, it wasn't.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »

^^^^^

At this point they’ve proven they love a man more than their nation. Traitorous cowards, the lot of them.
uti2

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:52 AM »

I've had so many Trump voters saying things like, "so what?" or "he should've fired Mueller."

I don't get it.

These morons (his voters) would literally rather have a president who obstructs justice and colludes with a foreign power against the nation they are supposedly loyal to, instead of clutching to the ideals and principles that their nation is actually supposed to stand for.

There was a time when Americans held dear things other than blind party loyalty.  The measure of a person was weighed by their dignity, self-respect, the way they treated others, and the vision they held for a brighter future.  All those such men and women of America's past are spinning in their graves at the travesty we've become under Trump's leadership.  Where we are right now is not what Washington, Lincoln, FDR, or even Reagan had in mind.  The greats of our history wouldn't like Trump; on the other hand, the evils of our history would.  Likewise, I truly doubt your ancestors, many of whom fought in wars to protect our country and the sovereignty of others would have many nice things to say about Trump and his ideals.

Furthermore, I say, if you are a Republican (or a Democrat) to the death, and absolutely nothing at all the person at the head of your party says or does can sway you away from them, then you are not only anti-American, you are treasonous.  If you would defend a leader no matter how corrupt, and no matter how much he/she is working to disrupt the stability of our government, then you are a traitor.

Yes, I am saying that people like Reaganfan and others here who simply defend everything this administration is doing, are traitors to the country.

"Make America Great Again" is actually a real motto for all of us now.  Before Trump's election, though, it wasn't.

You're overlooking a lot of history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_Surprise_conspiracy_theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Contra_affair
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »

Does anyone wish he'd actually gone through with it? We might be rid of him by now if he had.

Don't kid yourself. This Congress will not impeach and convict Trump under ANY circumstances.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies