No Ross Perot Candidacy In 1992 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:46:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Ross Perot Candidacy In 1992 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Ross Perot Candidacy In 1992  (Read 9003 times)
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« on: November 13, 2005, 09:34:58 PM »

One thing I don't understand is how Perot helped Clinton to win Georgia and Montana, but not even Florida?!  Maybe I'm just looking at this from a 'now' perspective, but it certainly seems weird that a key swing state stayed for Bush, while two very safe Republican states switched over.
Well, Florida wasn't exactly a swing state.  In '88 it went for Bush by 22 points, while the popular vote was only 8 points for Bush.  Even in '96 when the rest of the country went for Clinton 49-40 it went for him by a smaller 48-42.

So that accounts for part of it, yet it can be argued that if Georgia and Montana (particularly Montana) certainly Florida should, and my only answer is that Clinton would have stood a great chance at winning Georgia even if Perot hadn't been running and that Perot could appeal to the libertarian-conservative types in Montana wheras Perot took away many suburban voters in Florida who would have voted for Clinton.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies