How would have you voted UK edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would have you voted UK edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How would have you voted UK edition  (Read 2124 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »

All Tory, all the time. I dislike Theresa May so I might've voted for the Liberal Democrats if the Labour candidate wasn't a far-left idiot and/or May had a 45-25 polling lead like in the first weeks of the campaign. Heck, I might've voted Labour if they ran a pro-EU Blairite, but those days are over. But I easily would've voted for the Conservatives in all other elections.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »

For Canadian comparisons this is how I see our Conservatives vs. GOP and British Conservatives.

British Conservatives vs. Canadian Conservatives

-  Up until 1979, both parties were fairly centrist, one Nation Toryism/Red Toryism.
-  Thatcher was definitely more right wing than Brian Mulroney (Mulroney was probably more in line with John Major philosophically) but not too much different than Mike Harris in Ontario or Ralph Klein in Alberta, both whom I would have voted for.
-  Major was as mentioned similar to the Mulroney Tories, not like the Reform Party
-  Hague and Howard were more right wing than our Progressive Conservatives led by Kim Campbell, Jean Charest, Joe Clark, and Peter MacKay, but not quite as right wing as the Reform Party led by Preston Manning, Stockwell Day, or Stephen Harper (as Canadian Alliance leader, as Conservative leader he was similar to those two as he moderated his views after the parties merged).  I would say Brad Wall, the current outgoing premier of Saskatchewan is probably the closest in Canada we have to those two and I would have voted for him in 2007, 2011, and 2016 had I lived in Saskatchewan.
-  Cameron and May were definitely more centrist than Stephen Harper although certainly closer to Harper than Trudeau, but about equal distance between Chretien and Harper. 
-  Those two probably most like the BC Liberals (who are not related to the federal Liberals), Cameron being similar to Gordon Campbell and Theresa May most like Christy Clark. 
Most GOP hate the Democrats and won't work with them whereas Cameron was willing to form a coalition with the Liberal Democrats, something you would never see in Canada or the US.  Also Cameron legalized gay marriage, something conservatives in North America would never do without being forced by the courts.

Canadian Conservatives vs. GOP

-  Diefenbaker and Eisenhower had a lot in common, mind you I doubt Eisenhower would fit in today's GOP.  I would have voted for him had I been around then.
-  Barry Goldwater was well to the right of any conservative in either Canada or the UK.
-  Nixon was closest to Harper who came 40 years later, not like Stanfield who was probably closest to former GOP types like Lincoln Chaffee who is now a Democrat but was once a Republican.
-  Reagan was similar to Thatcher and also in Canada most similar to Ralph Klein of Alberta and Mike Harris of Ontario.  BTW I would have voted for Reagan both times.
George HW Bush - was more moderate similar to our Tories and he voted for Clinton in 2016.
-  Bob Dole was similar to George HW Bush, otherwise at the time more right wing than our Progressive Conservatives but not as right wing as the Reform Party.  Bill Clinton was very centrist and probably would have been a Progressive Conservative not liberal if he lived in Canada.
-  George W. Bush was essentially Stephen Harper on steroids.  I would have voted for Bush in 2000, but Kerry in 2004 since I was upset about the war in Iraq.
-  John McCain and Mitt Romney were both like our Conservatives and a bit to the right of Cameron and May but still could fit within the party.  I would have voted Obama both times although I liked McCain and was more upset about Bush so wanted to punish the party over Iraq.  In 2012 I actually might have pulled the lever for Romney as that was a close one, my concern was more the tea party and its strong influence on the party.  I would have voted for Romney as governor of Massachusetts however but he flip flopped as he was quite moderate as governor but moved to the right to win the GOP nomination.
-  Donald Trump would be like Ezra Levant and your Rebel Media types.  Interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose stated a party would not welcome types like him.  Otherwise there are people in the Conservatives like him but they are a minority.  In the last Conservative leadership race, May would have been similar to Chong (whom I supported) and Raitt (my second choice) who were the most moderate whereas Trump would be more like Leitch or Trost.  Thatcher would be most like Maxime Bernier.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 03:24:19 PM »

Straight Labour.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »

More of a brown dwarf than a rising star.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »

Since 1900

1900: Henry Campbell-Bannerman of the Liberal Party

1906: Keir Hardie of Labour Representation Committee

1910 (Jan and Dec): H.H. Asquith of the Liberal Party

1918: David Lloyd George of Coalition Coupon

1922: J.R. Clynes of the Labour Party

1923: Ramsay MacDonald of the Labour Party

1924: Ramsay MacDonald of the Labour Party

1929: David Lloyd George of the Liberal Party

1931: Arthur Henderson of the Labour Party

1935: Clement Attlee of the Labour Party

1945: Clement Attlee of the Labour Party

1950: Clement Attlee of the Labour Party

1951: Clement Attlee of the Labour Party

1955: Clement Davies of the Liberal Party

1959: Jo Grimond of the Liberal Party

1964: Jo Grimond of the Liberal Party

1966: Harold Wilson of the Labour Party

1970: Harold Wilson of the Labour Party

1974 (Feb and Oct): Harold Wilson of the Labour Party

1979: James Callaghan of the Labour Party

1983: Michael Foot of the Labour Party

1987: Neil Kinnock of the Labour Party

1992: Neil Kinnock of the Labour Party

1997: Paddy Ashdown of the Liberal Democrats

2001: Charles Kennedy of the Liberal Democrats

2005: Charles Kennedy of the Liberal Democrats

2010: Nick Clegg of the Liberal Democrats

2015: Ed Milibrand of the Labour Party

2017: Jeremy Corbyn of the Labour Party

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2018, 04:29:27 PM by Lechasseur »

Because this is a US site and in the US I would be a Democrat.  Most Conservatives in Britain would vote Democrat in the US in recent years.  If you check the Canadian one you will notice I voted Liberal in a few recent ones and also voted more Conservative when they were the former Progressive Conservatives, although I did not vote for Trudeau.  I am centre-right and the GOP has in recent years swung way too the right.

I definitely see what you mean, ideologically (although not necassarily in practice recently, given that these types of parties have been taken over by the likes of Merkel in many places) I'm a Christian Democrat, socially conservative and economically centrist (if you want to put it that way), I basically have the opposite problem of yours from what I understand. Until recently the Democrats would have been the party that would have been closer to Christian Democracy (although Eisenhower would have fit in well into it too), so until recently I would have considered myself a conservative Democrat (closest thing to it in the US), but although my economic values are closer to those of the Democrats (although I'm no leftwinger), in terms of non-economic things they've moved too far left. So while until recently I would have definitely been open to voting for (the right) Democrats (or against the wrong Republicans) in the US, almost anywhere else (where the economic spectrum is more reasonable) I would have definitely always voted for the rightwing party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »

reminder that the yellow font is illegible.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »

reminder that the yellow font is illegible.

Agreed, the yellow font is terrible, I can't read it, thus when I respond to these types of threads I use orange as a substitute to yellow.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »

Gold is an option. You just have to manually type it in.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »

Because this is a US site and in the US I would be a Democrat.  Most Conservatives in Britain would vote Democrat in the US in recent years.  If you check the Canadian one you will notice I voted Liberal in a few recent ones and also voted more Conservative when they were the former Progressive Conservatives, although I did not vote for Trudeau.  I am centre-right and the GOP has in recent years swung way too the right.

I definitely see what you mean, ideologically (although not necassarily in practice recently, given that these types of parties have been taken over by the likes of Merkel in many places) I'm a Christian Democrat, socially conservative and economically centrist (if you want to put it that way), I basically have the opposite problem of yours from what I understand. Until recently the Democrats would have been the party that would have been closer to Christian Democracy (although Eisenhower would have fit in well into it too), so until recently I would have considered myself a conservative Democrat (closest thing to it in the US), but although my economic values are closer to those of the Democrats (although I'm no leftwinger), in terms of non-economic things they've moved too far left. So while until recently I would have definitely been open to voting for (the right) Democrats (or against the wrong Republicans) in the US, almost anywhere else (where the economic spectrum is more reasonable) I would have definitely always voted for the rightwing party.

Actually in countries with PR systems you usually do have a party that is socially conservative but economically progressive while one that is economically on the right but socially on the left.  In FTFP systems you tend to have fewer big tent parties.  In Netherlands for example, you have CU which is what you are describing whereas the VVD would be for those on the economic right but social left.  Often in FTFP, parties get around this by making social issues free votes thus where you stand on economic matters more realizing not everyone will follow the linear line.  Its only recently that has changed as I find a lot of progressive millennials tend to be far less tolerant of social conservatism than your older progressives.  Although I lean left on social issues, I believe at least in Canada and the UK and perhaps even in the US, if a free vote the social liberal side would win most of the time.  Generally you not only have an age divide but also a strong urban/rural divide so since more live in urban than rural areas that would probably have the social liberal side winning and likewise with free votes on this it might make it easier for conservatives to win in urban areas (especially upper middle class ones) and likewise for progressive parties to win in rural areas (especially more economically deprived areas).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »

Actually in countries with PR systems you usually do have a party that is socially conservative but economically progressive while one that is economically on the right but socially on the left.  In FTFP systems you tend to have fewer big tent parties.  In Netherlands for example, you have CU which is what you are describing whereas the VVD would be for those on the economic right but social left.  Often in FTFP, parties get around this by making social issues free votes thus where you stand on economic matters more realizing not everyone will follow the linear line.  Its only recently that has changed as I find a lot of progressive millennials tend to be far less tolerant of social conservatism than your older progressives.  Although I lean left on social issues, I believe at least in Canada and the UK and perhaps even in the US, if a free vote the social liberal side would win most of the time.  Generally you not only have an age divide but also a strong urban/rural divide so since more live in urban than rural areas that would probably have the social liberal side winning and likewise with free votes on this it might make it easier for conservatives to win in urban areas (especially upper middle class ones) and likewise for progressive parties to win in rural areas (especially more economically deprived areas).

Where I am Christian Democracy was traditionnally considered centre to centre right so I can't say I'm economically progressive for a European (thus my loyal support for non leftwing parties here), it's only in the US and South America to a lesser degree where being a Christian Democrat makes you economically progressive, but otherwise point taken.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:44 PM »

Since 1900.  Bold indicates winners, asterisk (*) indicates enthusiastic votes.

1900: Liberal
1906: Liberal
Jan 1910: Liberal
Dec 1910: Liberal
1918: Liberal
1922: Liberal
1923: Conservative
1924: Conservative*
1929: Conservative*
1931: Conservative
1935: Conservative*
1945: Conservative*
1950: Conservative*
1951: Conservative*
1955: Conservative
1959: Conservative*
1964: Conservative
1966: Conservative
1970: Conservative
Feb 1974: Conservative
Oct 1974: Conservative
1979: Conservative*
1983: Conservative*
1987: Conservative*
1992: Conservative
1997: Conservative
2001: Liberal Democrats
2005: Labour
2010: Conservative*
2015: Conservative* (Not anti-Semitic)
2017: Conservative* (Not anti-Semitic)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

In all fairness I don't get 2015, you know Ed Miliband is jewish right? So a vote for him wouldn't have been anti-Semetic
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:41 PM »

We've established oldiesfreak doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, and just uses it as a hit and run attack.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »

In all fairness I don't get 2015, you know Ed Miliband is jewish right? So a vote for him wouldn't have been anti-Semetic

The Daily Mail spent the five years he was leader flipping between calling him anti-semitic and then being rather anti-semitic towards him; I'm not surprised that it would rub off on people.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »

I imagine this is easier if you have a constituency in mind, so I'll do this as if I live in the constituency where I studied abroad (Edinburgh East, post-2005/Edinburgh Central pre-2005)

2017: Labour
2015: Labour
2010: Labour
2005: Lib Dem
2001: Lib Dem
1997: Labour
1992: Labour
1987: Labour*
1983: Social Democrat
1979: Labour
1974 (Feb & Oct): Labour
1970: Labour
1966: Labour
1964: Labour
1959: Labour
1955: Labour
1951: Labour
1950: Labour
1945: Labour

*Apparently a Tory won in Edinburgh Central in '83 (!), so I imagine that would've taught me not to split the anti-tory vote at that point
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »

Didn't know that.  He may not be anti-Semitic, but his party most certainly is.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 08:47:54 PM »

Referendums
1975 (EC): Yes
2011 (Alternative Vote): No
2016 (Brexit): Remain

England
1998 (Greater London Authority): Yes
2004 (North East England Devolution): No (Don't try to fix something that isn't broken)

Northern Ireland
1973 (Northern Ireland Sovereignty): Join the Republic/United Ireland
1998 (Good Friday Agreement): Yes

Scotland
1979 (Devolution): Yes
1997 (Devolution): Yes (On both questions)
2014 (Independence): No

Wales
1997 (Devolution): Yes
2011 (Devolution): Yes
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »

Jan. 1910: Liberal
Dec. 1910: Liberal
1918: Coalition Liberal
1922: Labour
1923: Labour
1924: Labour
1929: Liberal
1931: Labour
1935: Labour
Feb. 1974: Labour
Oct. 1974: Labour
1983: Labour
1987: Labour
1997: Labour
2001: Labour
2010: Labour
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »

1945: Churchill
1950: Churchill
1951: Churchill
1955: Eden
1959: MacMillan
1964: Douglas-Home
1966: Heath
1970: Heath
1974: Heath in both 1974 elections
1979: Thatcher
1983: Thatcher
1987: Thatcher
1992: Major
1997: Major
2001: Hague
2005: Howard
2010: Cameron
2015: Cameron
2017: May
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »

Straight CON every election.  In theory 2015 I would be for UKIP but would tactically vote for CON in the end.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2023, 02:43:36 AM »

Parliament
1874: Liberal-Labour
1880: Liberal-Labour
1885: Liberal-Labour
1886: Liberal-Labour

1892: Independent Labour
1895: Independent Labour
1900: Independent Labour

1906: Labour Representation Committee
Jan 1910: Labour
Dec 1910: Labour
1918: Labour
1922: Labour
1923: Labour
1924: Labour
1929: Labour
1931: Labour
1935: Labour
Feb 1974: Labour
Oct 1974: Labour
1983: Labour
1987: Labour

1997: Socialist Labour
2001: Socialist Labour
2005: Socialist Labour

2010: Green
2019: Labour

Referendums
1975 (Join EEC): No
2011 (Alternative Vote): Yes
2016 (Brexit): Remain

Scotland
1999: Scottish Socialist
2003: Scottish Socialist
2007: Scottish Socialist
2011: Scottish Socialist

2016: RISE – Scotland's Left Alliance
2021: Scottish Greens

Referendums
1997 (Devolution: Yes
2014 (Independence): Yes

Wales
1999: Plaid Cymru
2003: Plaid Cymru
2007: Plaid Cymru
2011: Plaid Cymru
2016: Plaid Cymru
2021: Plaid Cymru

Referendums
1997 (Devolution): Yes
2011 (Further Devolution): Yes

Northern Ireland
1921: Sinn Féin
1925: Republican

1929: Nationalist
1933: Nationalist
1938: Nationalist

1945: Socialist Republican
1949: Nationalist
1953: Nationalist
1958: Nationalist
1962: Nationalist

1965: Republican Labour
1969: People's Democracy
1973: Republican Clubs
1975: Republican Clubs

1982: Sinn Féin
1996: Sinn Féin
1998: Sinn Féin
2003: Sinn Féin
2007: Sinn Féin
2011: Sinn Féin
2016: Sinn Féin
2017: Sinn Féin
2022: Sinn Féin

Referendums
1998 (Ratify Good Friday Agreement): Yes

London Mayor
2000: Ken Livingstone (Independent)
2004: Lindsey German (Respect) / Ken Livingstone (Labour)
2008: Lindsey German (Left List) / Ken Livingstone (Labour)
2012: Ken Livingstone (Labour)
2016: Lee Harris (CISTA) / Sadiq Khan (Labour)
2021: Count Binface (Count Binface) / Sadiq Khan (Labour)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2023, 07:43:12 AM »

This assumes a little bit of hindsight, but not enough that I would have backed Home Rule (see 1885). This is better understood as my changing parliamentary affiliation over time if I had been an MP through this entire period. In brackets are the faction I would have aligned with during splits in the parties.

Sometimes leaps between parties at elections in this list will seem bizarre, particularly in the earlier years, but this is probably a reflection of a) my likes and dislikes of certain 19th century figures and b) issues of the day.

Elections
Before Pitt: Whigs of all stripes
1784: Pitt, Tory
1790: Pitt, Tory
1796: Pitt, Tory
1802: Pitt, Tory
1806: Cavendish, Tory (Pittite)
1807: Cavendish, Tory (Pittite)
1812: Jenkinson, Tory (Pittite)
1818: Jenkinson, Tory (Pittite)
1820: Jenkinson, Tory (Pittite)
1826: Jenkinson, Tory (Pittite)
1830: Wellesley, Tory
1831: Grey, Whig
1832: Grey, Whig
1835: Peel, Conservative
1837: Peel, Conservative
1841: Peel, Conservative, follow Peel out of the Conservatives
1847: Russell, Whig (Peelite)
1852: Russell, Whig (Peelite)
1857: Temple, Whig (Peelite)
1859: Temple, Liberal
1865: Temple, Liberal
1868: Gladstone, Liberal
1874: Gladstone, Liberal
1880: Gladstone, Liberal
1885: Gladstone, Liberal, follow Cavendish out of the Liberals
1886: Gascoyne-Cecil, Conservative (Liberal Unionist)
1892: Gascoyne-Cecil, Conservative (Liberal Unionist)
1895: Gascoyne-Cecil, Conservative (Liberal Unionist)
1900: Gascoyne-Cecil, Conservative (Liberal Unionist)
1906: Balfour, Conservative
1910s: Balfour, Conservative
1918: Law, Conservative
1922: Law, Conservative
1923: Baldwin, Conservative
1924: Baldwin, Conservative
1929: Baldwin, Conservative
1931: MacDonald, National
1935: Baldwin, National
1945: Churchill, Conservative
1950: Churchill, Conservative
1951: Churchill, Conservative
1955: Eden, Conservative
1959: Macmillan, Conservative
1964: Douglas-Home, Conservative
1966: Heath, Conservative
1970: Heath, Conservative
1974s: Heath, Conservative
1979: Thatcher, Conservative
1983: Thatcher, Conservative
1987: Thatcher, Conservative
1992: Major, Conservative
1997: Major, Conservative
2001: Hague, Conservative
2005: Howard, Conservative
2010: Cameron, Conservative
2015: Cameron, Conservative
2017: May, Conservative
2019: Johnson, Conservative

European Parliament Elections
1979: Conservative
1984: Conservative
1989: Conservative
1994: Conservative
1999: Conservative
2004: Conservative
2009: UKIP
2014: UKIP
2019: Brexit Party

Important Referenda
1975 (Join EEC): Yes
2011 (AV): No
2014 (Scot): No
2016 (EU): Leave

Note that I was only able to vote in elections after 2018.

I have backed the Conservatives in every local election since I have been able to vote, where I live the only local candidates are the Tories and the Lib Dems.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:43 PM »

I'd basically be open to supporting any party, depending on the local candidates, apart from non-Unionist parties or the DUP. I liked Corbyn when he was Labor leader. Ideologically, I think I would favor Reform UK most.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies