Abortion and the parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:36:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Abortion and the parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: By 2020, will the Dems and GOP have moved together on abortion, or further apart?
Move together

Stay about the same

Move further apart

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Abortion and the parties  (Read 443 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

I voted (2), because I don't see how it is even possible for the parties to move further apart. Neither side appears willing to give an inch, however: the GOP seems unwilling to admit that (1) the vast majority of women who seek abortion do with extreme anguish, not out of some cold indifference to human life and (2) a blanket ban on abortion would be, to put it mildly, highly impractical and unworkable. Likewise, the Dems seem not to realize that (1) many decent Americans do not want their taxes going toward elective (as opposed to medically necessary) abortions and (2) while sex-selective abortions and state-mandated abortions are not really a "thing" in the US, their prevalence worldwide should suggest that perhaps these issues should at least be addressed.

I believe that, 45 years after Roe, abortion is "the" wedge issue of our day. And I think that's a shame, since I believe the views of most Americans are much more nuanced than the platforms of either major party would suggest.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »

While I tend to believe there is more common ground on the issue than many would think, I think we'll move further apart. Trump seems more than willing to have abortion be the bone he throws to Evangelicals and White Catholics so I think his actions (Giving a Speech to  the "right to life March from the White House when no other President did so, etc...) alone will drive people further apart on this issue. God forbid he gets more Supreme Court appointments.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies