2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:45:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 96
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original  (Read 208510 times)
UncleSam

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 30, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »

Democrats (and especially Democratic women) are jacked to vote:

Could you link the question or do you have access to it? Obviously Dems are more enthusiastic but be wary of polls which ask comparative questions like ‘are you MORE enthusiastic to vote this year than in prior years’ vs analytic questions like ‘how enthusiastic are you to vote this year’?

Here you go
Thank you! A lot of interesting take seats in this, though the enthusiasm poll is a comparative one so it’s not as valuable as it would appear. The issues questions are very interesting though.
JG

« Reply #1726 on: May 30, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »

Has enthusiasm level shown a more significant relations to actual results than the generic ballot in the past?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1727 on: May 30, 2018, 02:52:10 PM »

Has enthusiasm level shown a more significant relations to actual results than the generic ballot in the past?

Enthusiasm is everything.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1728 on: May 30, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »

A lot of pundits like GEM put A LOT of emphasis on enthusiasm.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1729 on: May 30, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »

The enthusiasm gap is everything

Compare the volatility of the 2010 GCB polling to the stability of the enthusiasm gap polling:

GCB:

Enthusiasm:

JG

« Reply #1730 on: May 30, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »

Compare the volatility of the 2010 GCB polling to the stability of the enthusiasm gap polling:

GCB:

Enthusiasm:

Thanks! It really looks like that all the focus on the generic ballot might be a bit misplaced then.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1731 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »

GCB:

Enthusiasm:

Thanks! It really looks like that all the focus on the generic ballot might be a bit misplaced then.

A little. It’s a worthwhile metric, and a good data point. But it must be viewed at its intersection and in tandem with enthusiasm polling, fundraising, recruiting, special elections, etc
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1732 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »

Reuters:

D - 42.7
R - 35.1

I’m not a fan of there being decimals, but chose to present the numbers as-is instead of rounding.

http://polling.reuters.com/#!response/TM1212Y17/type/smallest/filters/PD1:1/dates/20180101-20180528/collapsed/true

Still think this is due to them adjusting their sample rather than any real movement towards (or away from) the GOP
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1733 on: May 31, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »

MTV/AP-NORC Youth Political Pulse Poll:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1734 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »

Source

Yeah, the “Most Conservative Generation since WWII” theory is dead and buried.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #1735 on: May 31, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »

Source

I hardly see how this is the case, to be honest the only rational assumption that can be made from this poll is that this generation is still developing, 22% say they don't even know what party they identify with and identifying with a party does not always mean you can tell how they stand on every issue.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1736 on: May 31, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »

Source

I hardly see how this is the case, to be honest the only rational assumption that can be made from this poll is that this generation is still developing, 22% say they don't even know what party they identify with and identifying with a party does not always mean you can tell how they stand on every issue.

It’s less Republican than the population, according to the poll. I should’ve mentioned the slew of other polls disproving the theory as well.
UncleSam

« Reply #1737 on: May 31, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »

Source

It’s less Republican than the population, according to the poll. I should’ve mentioned the slew of other polls disproving the theory as well.
Every generation is less Republican than the population in their 20s, though. Even the Millennials are becoming less liberal by the year (though it’ll be forty years before they vote for the GOP, making them the most liberal generation relative to age perhaps ever). The fact that the gap is this small surprises me, and leads me to believe that many of the ‘unsure’ youth are actually just going to vote straight Democrat. There’s been a movement on the left to support Democrats but not necessarily to identify as one, and I suspect that’s at play in why these numbers aren’t more lopsided (even if the actual way they vote is).
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1738 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:03 PM »

Where are the live-caller polls?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1739 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

Source

Every generation is less Republican than the population in their 20s, though. Even the Millennials are becoming less liberal by the year (though it’ll be forty years before they vote for the GOP, making them the most liberal generation relative to age perhaps ever). The fact that the gap is this small surprises me, and leads me to believe that many of the ‘unsure’ youth are actually just going to vote straight Democrat. There’s been a movement on the left to support Democrats but not necessarily to identify as one, and I suspect that’s at play in why these numbers aren’t more lopsided (even if the actual way they vote is).

That doesn't really rebuke what I said.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1740 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »

It's still dead on that front. I don't know why but there has been no good polling in awhile
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1741 on: May 31, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »

Source

It's a myth that generations get more conservative or shift to Republicans as they get older. Generations political leanings lock in after voting for the same party after 3 elections. There can be Ebbs and flows, but it doesn't really change.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1742 on: May 31, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »

Source

It's a myth that generations get more conservative or shift to Republicans as they get older. Generations political leanings lock in after voting for the same party after 3 elections. There can be Ebbs and flows, but it doesn't really change.

Yeah... the GI generation voted for Reagan, but then went right back to voting for Bill Clinton & Al Gore (and voted dem downballot).

Millenials actually became more democratic between 2014 --> 2016.

I do think people generally become more socially conservative as they get older, but a lot of the reason Republicans are doing well with baby boomers is a ton of those baby boomers voted for Reagan. Remember that Ronald Reagan was extremely popular with the youth in the 80s.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1743 on: May 31, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »

Don't expect live caller polls until June
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States