Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:47:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: See below.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Question regarding Africa on "Wer wird Millionär?"  (Read 2036 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »

LOL what? The Mediterranean Sea is not part of the Atlantic. That's ridiculous.

Not really, as Wikipedia says: "Although the sea is sometimes considered a part of the Atlantic Ocean, it is usually identified as a separate body of water."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_Sea

German Wikipedia says it differently. The Mediterrean Sea is a Nebenmeer (an English Wiki article isn't linked, thus I don't know the technical term for the English language) and a Nebenmeer is defined as a zoned area of the main sea - exactly as we learned it at school - and that's the definition by the IHO.

Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »

Not really, as Wikipedia says: "Although the sea is sometimes considered a part of the Atlantic Ocean, it is usually identified as a separate body of water."

German Wikipedia says it differently. The Mediterrean Sea is a Nebenmeer (an English Wiki article isn't linked, thus I don't know the technical term for the English language) and a Nebenmeer is defined as a zoned area of the main sea - exactly as we learned it at school - and that's the definition by the IHO.

Yes, i get that. I was objecting to the claim that it is "ridiculous". Its a widespread belief and likely more common than the IHO definition in most Western countries.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »

Yes, i get that. I was objecting to the claim that it is "ridiculous". Its a widespread belief and likely more common than the IHO definition in most Western countries.

Ah, I see. Sorry. I misread your post.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »

What about the North Sea and the Baltic Sea? Do you consider it an "autonomous" waterbody?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »

What about the North Sea and the Baltic Sea? Do you consider it an "autonomous" waterbody?

The Baltic Sea is definitely its own sea, yes. The North Sea might be more debatable, given that there is no clear strait to delimit it, but I'll let the British and Norwegians decide what they think about it. As an Italian, I tell you for a fact that the Mediterranean is not part of the Atlantic.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:38 PM »

The Baltic Sea is definitely its own sea, yes. The North Sea might be more debatable, given that there is no clear strait to delimit it, but I'll let the British and Norwegians decide what they think about it. As an Italian, I tell you for a fact that the Mediterranean is not part of the Atlantic.

Oh, I misunderstood you then.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 07:57:34 AM »

Oh, now I see your mistake. You confuse the terms ocean and sea.
The North Sea, the Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are their own seas, but they are all part of the Atlantic.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »

Oh, now I see your mistake. You confuse the terms ocean and sea.
The North Sea, the Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are their own seas, but they are all part of the Atlantic.

In common parlance ocean does not include seas separated by straits - only the main sea. It may very well be technically correct to do so, but its just not the way most people would perceive it (since its counterintuitive). Its not really a "mistake", but an alternative definition. There has been several different definition of what constitute an ocean throughout history.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »

But you agree that this question is contentious, don't you?
If someone had said "two", you wouldn't have denied that answer, would you?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 11:53:20 PM »

Both the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are marginal seas, and those aren't usually included in the oceans. in a quiz you should be asking about the conventional definition that normal people learn in school and have a chance to know, not some "technically correct" trickery.

But we learned it that way at school! Tongue

The North Sea, the Bay of Biscay and the Caribbean Sea are marginal seas of the Atlantic Ocean.
The Baltic Sea and the Mediterranean Sea are inland seas of the same ocean.

The Red Sea is not a marginal sea, btw, but rather an inland sea, like the Persian Gulf is.

are you saying they teach you that the Med is part of the Atlantic Ocean?  That's weird, but if that's true, then the answer should be two if asked in Germany (or anywhere that teaches the Med is part of the Atl).

France can't be an answer because it's European not African.

France is as much of an African country as Turkey or Russia is an Asian country and a European country. It's certainly *also* a European country, but that is neither here nor there. An integral part of France is in Africa, therefore France is an African country. Period.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »

All of this clearly calls for a giant sea battle to set all seas and oceans borders all over the world, and once again, one more giant global mess on borders begins by Germany, obv.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »

I don't know what is taught in Germany, but I absolutely learned that the Mediterranean is not part of the Atlantic Ocean. If I stood at Gibraltar looking at Africa, I would not say "I am looking across the Atlantic at Africa." I would say "I am looking at Africa with the Atlantic Ocean on my right and the Mediterranean on my left."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 01:54:24 PM »

In a few million years, Morocco will crash into Spain anyway - so the question if the Med is part of the Atlantic or not should be solved then ...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:39 AM »

I have never heard anyone claim that the Mediterranean is part of the Atlantic.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »

All of this clearly calls for a giant sea battle to set all seas and oceans borders all over the world, and once again, one more giant global mess on borders begins by Germany, obv.

Oh God, please no! We are not good at sea. Undecided
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »

None of you heretics have been able to explain to me why the IHO defined the Mediterranean Sea as part of the Atlantic Ocean.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »

The med is part of the Atlantic basin while not actually being the same body of water maybe?

Just like how the Neckar is part of the Rhine's drainage basin but is still a separate river. I'm not a geographer though so could be talking out my arse
EPG
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »

None of you heretics have been able to explain to me why the IHO defined the Mediterranean Sea as part of the Atlantic Ocean.

That's like saying Taiwan isn't a state because it's not recognised by most of the UN.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 04:21:17 AM »

Coming from a country where there is a 'competition' between Mediteranean shore and Atlantic shore, and currently living on the Atlantic one, what i could say to those oddies living on the Med would be:

'Hey, where are ur tides now, thats just a bloody salted lake!!'
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »

One (South Africa).

But technically you may argue Egypt, because the Mediterranean Sea belongs to the Atlantic and the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »

One (South Africa).

But technically you may argue Egypt, because the Mediterranean Sea belongs to the Atlantic and the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean.

Zank ju!

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 08:15:26 PM »

Do you consider it an ocean?
Maybe it is really a cultural thing.

Antonio is Italian...

And no, nobody considers it an ocean. We consider it a sea, separate from an ocean.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies