Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:22:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Southern Legislation Introduction Thread - 2018  (Read 9432 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
« edited: November 29, 2018, 08:34:00 AM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

the role of Deputy Speaker was abolished as part of a rules change.

I can't give you a role that doesn't exist.
I'd be amenable to a rule change that could create a Deputy Speaker position that serves at the pleasure of the Speaker, and changing nothing else though...

Were the rules actually changed or am I just a less appealing Deputy Speaker candidate than Wulfric?

what happened was you becoming GM.

Did u know that all weekend?
I moved slowly on that because primarily 1) I felt actually appointing an informal deputy required a rule change, and I would not be as good at rewriting the rules to account for that as you would be. I persuaded by the Governor that it was easier to do than I previously thought, and I was given a quasi-modest recommendation (Wulfric can do the job, etc; you wanted to lighten your load, etc) to appoint him.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »

Just to help clear the air from my end: I didn't know that Mr. Reactionary was interested in the Deputy role, but I agree with the Speaker's decision since Wulfric is a more long-term solution. I have high confidence that Mr. R will be confirmed within the next week or two. This is an informal role so that the two can work together, because as Wulfric pointed out, any delegate technically has the ability to enforce the rules of the chamber.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »

As we do not have jurisdiction over people who are not Atlasian Citizens, this is currently ineligible for consideration. It will be processed in the event there is a valid re-registration.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2018, 01:53:45 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2018, 04:29:29 AM »

Free the People Act

SECTION I: NAMING
1. This law shall be known as the "free the people act"

SECTION II: VEHICLE CONDITION
1. No State in the Southern Region shall require the display of a license plate on the front of a vehicle. Nothing in this provision shall limit the power of the States to require the display of a license plate on the back of a vehicle
2. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit mufflers modified to contain “whistler tips”, a smaller piece of metal with a hole welded to the inside of the muffler.
3. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit vehicles with lighted neon underglow lights with the exception of lighted neon underglow lights colored red or blue.
4. No State or local law enforcement officer in the Southern Region shall consider the presence of window tinting probable cause justifying a traffic stop.
5. No State in the Southern Region shall require windshield wiper blades on a vehicle that does not have a windshield.
6. No State in the Southern Region shall require vehicle roadworthiness inspections more frequently than once every two (2) years.
7. No State in the Southern Region shall require a minimum or maximum handle bar length as a determination of roadworthiness provided the person operating the vehicle can safely operate the vehicle.
8. No State in the Southern Region shall require NOx Emissions Testing as a condition of driving a vehicle on public roads
9. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit the mere presence of cracks on a windshield as not roadworthy unless the structural integrity of the windshield is significantly compromised.
10. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit the use of hydraulic lifts while moving, provided such use is not being done in an unsafe manner resulting in contact with road.
11. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit the use of a license plate frame.

SECTION III: VEHICLE OPERATION
1. No State or locality in the Southern Region shall prohibit motorcycles from lane splitting, provided such lane splitting is done safely and only on the left.
2. No State in the Southern Region shall prohibit the operation of motorized golf carts on public roads where the speed limit does not exceed 25 miles per hour.
3. No State or local law enforcement officer in the Southern Region shall consider a person sleeping in a parked car as operating a motor vehicle.
4. No State or local law enforcement officer in the Southern Region shall consider a person operating a riding lawnmower on their own property as operating a motor vehicle.
5. No State or local law enforcement officer in the Southern Region shall consider the apparent non-use of a safety belt by a person in a vehicle as probable cause justifying a traffic stop.
6. No State or local law enforcement officer in the Southern Region shall consider mere burnouts as the unsafe operation of a motor vehicle.
7. No State or locality in the Southern Region shall prohibit vehicle idling.
8. No State or locality in the Southern Region shall impose a speed limit on Jet Skis lower than 30 miles per hour.
9. No State or locality in the Southern Region shall require motorcyclists or bicyclists to wear helmets on public roads.
10. Any High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane declared by a State or Locality in the Southern Region shall consider pregnant women as two persons for the purposes of using the HOV lane.

SECTION IV: TIMING
1. This act shall take effect six (6) months from the date of passage.

I will sponsor this
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »

Freedom of Substance Use Act

SECTION I: Name

1. This law shall be known as the "Freedom of Substance Use Act."

SECTION II: PROTECTIONS

1. No state in the Southern region shall prohibit the commercial or personal manufacture, sale, or use of any substances, regardless of any previous designation as a controlled substance.

2. There shall also be no prohibition on the importation or exportation of these substances to or from other sovereign states or across state lines within the Southern region.

3. Citizens who may be currently detained or imprisoned in the Southern region as a result of a conviction for manufacture, possession, or sale of a formerly controlled substance within the Southern region, should be assessed for release.

SECTION III: TAXES

1. A tax of 3.5% of total sale shall be levied on all commercial sales of recreational substances designated by the state as a methamphetamine, hallucinogen, or opioid.

SECTION IV: TIMING

1. This act shall take effect immediately upon passage.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »

I move to sponsor every Reactionary bill currently on the floor that my name is not already on. I further move that any Reactionary bill brought to the floor in the future shall be considered to be sponsored by me upon the beginning of its consideration on the floor, unless it has already been sponsored by another representative or is brought up under the "Citizens's Slot".
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »

I move to sponsor every Reactionary bill currently on the floor that my name is not already on. I further move that any Reactionary bill brought to the floor in the future shall be considered to be sponsored by me upon the beginning of its consideration on the floor, unless it has already been sponsored by another representative or is brought up under the "Citizens's Slot".

Thanks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2018, 11:44:44 PM »

Thanks.
Well, either me or Wulfric had to do it.
There was a lot of good bills you had in the queue!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »

Electric Car Chargers on Parking lots Act

1. This law shall be known as the "Electric Car Chargers on Parking Lots Act."

SECTION II: Definitions

For the purposes of this act a DC fast charger shall be understood as an electric car charger capable of delivering at least 45 kW of power and being able to give a standard electric car at least 96 km (60 miles) of range in under 25 minutes.

SECTION III: Regulations

1. All newly constructed parking lots with a planned capacity of over 100 cars, shall have at least 5 DC fast chargers for electric cars, for every 100 parking spots

2. All major reforms to existing parking lots shall include the installation of at least 5 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots.

3. All parking lots in the southern region must include at least 15 electric car chargers for every 100 parking spots by the end of the year 2033

SECTION IV: Timing

1. This act shall take effect 3 months after passage.

2. This act shall not affect currently ongoing construction projects or reforms.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2018, 06:26:56 PM by tack50 »

Standardized Testing Regulations act

1. This law shall be known as the "Standardized testing Regulations Act."

SECTION II: Definitions

1. For the purposes of this act a standardized test shall be understood as a test given to a majority of southern students, generally the same day across the region, where the contents of the test are the same for all students in the region or in Atlasia.

SECTION III: Subsidies

1. The southern region shall not pay or subsidize in any way standardized tests in schools taken by students from Grades 1 to 11.

2. Tests taken by grade 12 students, or intended for college or university access shall be exempt from the restriction above

SECTION IV: Mandatory testing

1. No standardized test shall be mandatory for students enrolled in grades 1 to 11.

2. States and counties may issue mandatory standardized tests to be completed by all students in year 12. However, the results of these tests shall not be used in any way to stop students from getting a high school degree if they fulfill all other requirements.

3. No mandatory test issued by a state or county in the southern region shall have a filing fee higher than 60$, adjusted for inflation from the day of passage.

4. States or counties issuing mandatory standardized tests shall also wave the fees for students receiving government aid or government scholarships.

5. The southern government reserves the right to modify, cancel or remove the mandatory status of tests issued by states or counties if they are not in line with regional education guidelines.

SECTION V: Timing

1. This act shall take effect the first day of July after passage.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »

I'm retiring the previous bill as concerns have been brought up to my attention.

Several important modifications will be needed so retiring it is probably the better option (rather than say ammending it).

If necessary not to clutter the thread I could remove the message as well (or mods could do it for me I guess).

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »

I hereby withdraw my prospective sponsorship of the "Resolution Condemning Recent Bad Acts by Congress" and the "Resolution Condemning certain members of Fremont Parliament". I will not bring them up under the Citizens' slot either.

I believe the former resolution to be a frivolous waste of the chamber's valuable time, especially since the session of congress the bill is referring to has concluded.

The latter resolution is similarly frivolous, and it is honestly dubious whether it is even within our jurisdiction to condemn a legislative branch in another region, given that we hold no real influence over it and do not vote for its members.

-------------

With that and with the three bills and one resolution I just brought to the floor, we have no bills remaining in the queue. We're sort of running out of time for this session (Next Election is January 18-20), but could possibly squeeze in another bill or three.

I'd like to thank Reactionary for his hard work in providing much of the legislation that we considered this session. Hopefully we have a new avid bill writer in the next session.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies