The GOP's suburbia problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:54:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The GOP's suburbia problem
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The GOP's suburbia problem  (Read 7807 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »

Actually, the affluent and educated suburbs around St. Louis, like Ladue, Clayton, Wildwood, Ballwin, Town and Country, and Chesterfield all swung leftward. In the blue-collar areas like St. John, Hazelwood, and Overland is where Trump excelled relative to Romney or McCain. Most of the latter cities just happened to be closer to Ferguson than the former ones.

When will this great cultural divide drive you into the Democratic Party, do you think?

There's always an exception to the rule.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »

Here is some data that I just posted regarding the collapse of Republican support within the South Pittsburgh suburbs, that have generally been resistant towards the same types of massive swings towards the Democratic Party that we have seen elsewhere over the past 10+ years...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=281457.msg6114284#msg6114284

There are obviously plenty of other Upper Middle Class Anglo suburban districts elsewhere within the Rust Belt, where this phenomenon might well accelerate in 2018 and 2020....

Obvious places to look out for it will be in the suburbs in Missouri, which were noticeably fluky in that they were some of the only big metro areas that didn't swing left. My guess is because of Ferguson, but we'll see!

I'm almost complete with a project (which I'll probably publish either here or on the demographics board) that basically breaks each state into two parts: "rural" and..."metro/not rural".

Anyway, of the 50 metro divisions, "MO-Metro" was the only one to vote Obama-Trump (along with WI-Rural, ME-Rural & CT-Rural).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:45 PM »

Here is some data that I just posted regarding the collapse of Republican support within the South Pittsburgh suburbs, that have generally been resistant towards the same types of massive swings towards the Democratic Party that we have seen elsewhere over the past 10+ years...

There are obviously plenty of other Upper Middle Class Anglo suburban districts elsewhere within the Rust Belt, where this phenomenon might well accelerate in 2018 and 2020....

Obvious places to look out for it will be in the suburbs in Missouri, which were noticeably fluky in that they were some of the only big metro areas that didn't swing left. My guess is because of Ferguson, but we'll see!

I'm almost complete with a project (which I'll probably publish either here or on the demographics board) that basically breaks each state into two parts: "rural" and..."metro/not rural".

Anyway, of the 50 metro divisions, "MO-Metro" was the only one to vote Obama-Trump (along with WI-Rural, ME-Rural & CT-Rural).

Oooh.... looking forward to seeing this very much Fmr President, since I know how much work you put into your projects!!!!....    Smiley

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2018, 05:14:06 AM »

Oooh.... looking forward to seeing this very much Fmr President, since I know how much work you put into your projects!!!!....    Smiley

Thanks! I've posted it here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies