Ballot measure to move Kentucky elections to presidential years gains steam
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:18:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ballot measure to move Kentucky elections to presidential years gains steam
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ballot measure to move Kentucky elections to presidential years gains steam  (Read 1595 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2018, 10:41:54 AM by OneJ_ »

The benefit of most states electing their governors in off years, instead of during presidential elections, is that local issues aren't overshadowed by the national campaign.  State politics generally isn't as polarizing as national politics is, but that could very well change if more states decide to elect their governor the same time the country chooses the president.

If I were a voter in Kentucky or any other state that had this as a ballot measure, I would vote against it.  The midterms are far more appropriate for these contests.
Yes. Maybe for states that don't already have this, Gubernatorial races could alleviate the bad turnout during the midterms too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 04:39:54 AM »

Move everything to Presidential years and then make Election Day a federally recognized holiday.

wouldn't ballots be like a million miles long?

Probably, but it would also depend on the state. Texas would probably be brutal. Same for other Southern states that choose to make practically everything an elected office. I do think there is a good argument for getting rid of odd-year elections and other elections that take place on a separate day, but moving everything to presidential years would be quite tedious. It would be better to just move all the odd-year/off-day local elections to either a midterm primary or a midterm general election day. That way we all have just two election days every 2 years: primary and the general (aside from special elections). This would save money and in many cases, increase turnout.

My thought is that congressional midterms should be abolished (as was planned in the LBJ days), and all states have their gubernatorial/ legislatures in the "midterm".

Wouldn't that eliminate the chance for the public to "weigh in" on a presidency via midterms? They would basically be stuck with whatever they vote in for 4 years, right? I do think there are good arguments for and against that.

Well a) I believe in recall elections, so if the legislator really pisses off the public they can be ditched b) I think the state and local elections should be in the midterm where they will be less "contaminated" by the federal swing, but should also give the public a chance to give a bloody nose to the incumbent party and c) in terms of international legislatures, 4 years is hardly exceptional - my country elects MP's for 5 year terms, as does France, Italy, Canada etc
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:06 AM »

in terms of international legislatures, 4 years is hardly exceptional - my country elects MP's for 5 year terms, as does France, Italy, Canada etc

Indeed. I think the US is pretty unique in renewing the legislature every two years. Elections every four years are pretty much the norm, with some places having three or five years between elections.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »

in terms of international legislatures, 4 years is hardly exceptional - my country elects MP's for 5 year terms, as does France, Italy, Canada etc

Indeed. I think the US is pretty unique in renewing the legislature every two years. Elections every four years are pretty much the norm, with some places having three or five years between elections.

It was a demand of the Chartists that there should be elections every year, oddly enough.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »

Good. Mid-term elections are one thing, but odd-year elections are just dumb.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies