CA-GOV: New poll (September 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:23:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-GOV: New poll (September 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CA-GOV: New poll (September 7th)  (Read 3713 times)
Cashcow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2005, 10:07:44 PM »

I have full confidence in Governor Schwarzenegger pulling out within the next year or so and making good progress for the state of California.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2005, 10:15:47 PM »

I have full confidence in Governor Schwarzenegger pulling out within the next year or so and making good progress for the state of California.

How will he be making up that approval gap?
Cashcow

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2005, 10:39:30 PM »

Campaigns often make the approval rating much less relevant. If the presidential election were scheduled for tomorrow, Bush may very well still defeat Kerry.

There's still a year.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2005, 10:46:18 PM »

Campaigns often make the approval rating much less relevant. If the presidential election were scheduled for tomorrow, Bush may very well still defeat Kerry.

Now that you mention it.  Zogby just put out a poll that had Bush beating Kerry by one point as of today.  The poll also asked the public if they prefered Bush or the past 4 presidents.  Bush lost to every president including Carter.
Cashcow

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2005, 10:50:03 PM »

Bush lost to every president including Carter.

Hahahahahahahahahaha
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 08:17:32 AM »

That aside, he might not be able to become governor again because of the term limits law. It depends on how exactly it's written. Normally you're allowed 2 terms as governor. Davis had about 1.2 terms.
California Constitution Article V, Section 2

...  No Governor may serve more than 2 terms.

California Constitution Article V, Section 20

Terms of elective offices provided for by this Constitution, other than Members of the Legislature, commence on the Monday after January 1 following election.

A "term" is a fixed period rather than a length of service.  I doubt that California Democrats are as corrupt as those in New Jersey.
MissCatholic

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 10:02:47 AM »

Ventura County will be an important place for the democrats. Has a high population of nazis but have alot of liberals that are more than happy to bash the president.

So i think the dems should spend alot of time here. Places like Ventura, Oxnard will be important campaign spots with an increasing amount of hispanics.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 11:45:24 AM »

That aside, he might not be able to become governor again because of the term limits law. It depends on how exactly it's written. Normally you're allowed 2 terms as governor. Davis had about 1.2 terms.

Terms of elective offices provided for by this Constitution, other than Members of the Legislature, commence on the Monday after January 1 following election.

A "term" is a fixed period rather than a length of service.  I doubt that California Democrats are as corrupt as those in New Jersey.

Maybe he could run and if he won he'd be forced to resign 3 years into the term.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 11:52:36 AM »

Maybe he could run and if he won he'd be forced to resign 3 years into the term.
Emphasis added.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »

Emphasis added.

What I'm saying is that it could be interprented to mean you get to be governor for 8 years.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 12:10:38 PM »

Emphasis added.

What I'm saying is that it could be interprented to mean you get to be governor for 8 years.
A "term" is defined by the Constitution as commencing in January following the election.  The Constitution limits an individual to two terms (commencing in January following the election).  Gray Davis has already had two such terms.  He doesn't get a 3rd.

If the writers of the Constitution wished to permit a person to server 8 years, they could have done so.  They didn't.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 11:08:20 PM »

A "term" is defined by the Constitution as commencing in January following the election.  The Constitution limits an individual to two terms (commencing in January following the election).  Gray Davis has already had two such terms.  He doesn't get a 3rd.

If the writers of the Constitution wished to permit a person to server 8 years, they could have done so.  They didn't.

Would this mean Arnold could run for the office two times in teh future, getting up to about 11 years in office?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2005, 04:27:52 AM »

Clearly if Davis can't get more than 4 years 10 months, then Arnold can't get more than 7 years 2 months. Not that he'll be re-elected, anyways.
Would this mean Arnold could run for the office two times in teh future, getting up to about 11 years in office?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2005, 04:29:12 AM »

He is currently serving the term than began in 2003.  His 2nd term would begin in 2007.  A "term" is associated with the office, rather than the person serving in the office.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005, 10:32:44 PM »

I hope Westly wins the primary.  If Arnold loses, I'd rather have him as Governor than Angelides.
MissCatholic

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 08:52:51 AM »

It would be a grat night for the democrats if they won the PA senate seat and the governor of CA. Two big names in the republican party kicked out of office. i would sleep very well.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2005, 03:09:21 PM »

Ventura County will be an important place for the democrats. Has a high population of nazis but have alot of liberals that are more than happy to bash the president.

So i think the dems should spend alot of time here. Places like Ventura, Oxnard will be important campaign spots with an increasing amount of hispanics.

What the hell are you talking about with regards with nazis?  In a county with about half a million people I know we will have a few extremists here and there, but I know of no large scale fascistic activity here.

Just in case, I checked the listings at the Southern poverty law center, and they have no listing of hate groups anywhere in Ventura county.

Ventura and Oxnard will be vital stops, as Ventura trends centrist, and Oxnard trends liberal (but with somewhat low turnout).  Camarillo could also be a battlefield as though it is conservative leaning (by CA standards, anyway), it could still go either way.

Simi - the most conservative part of the county (and home to the Reagan Library), might be a different sort of battlefield given that the states social conservatives may not be overly enthusiastic over Arnold.

I am somewhat hoping O'Connell gives it a run, as he both a favorite son of the area, a former teacher (the current major battle is over education), and the curent state superintendent of schools.  In the past as a state senator he held widespread bipartisan appeal, so I suspect he might make a good candidate - especilly if the anti-teacher propositions on this November's ballot go down in flames.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »

And from the 'not the least bit suprising' news catagory, Arnold has made his intent to run for reelection official
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies